+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: The Hero - with The Rock (TNT) - premieres June 6th 8PM

Re: The Hero - with The Rock (TNT) - premieres June 6th 8PM

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I was so happy for Patty. I can't believe how I was cheering her on.
    Me, too! And I was so glad she kept it together enough to get across in time...it would have been really sad if she had failed.

And I liked how the temptation was reworked...she still didn't take the money.

I gave her all my votes :-)

FORT Newbie

When America votes, it's going to come down to Patty and Darnell.

Lydia's not going to get many votes. Her challenge was probably one of the easiest or at least looked easy since Lydia outsmarted the game by not carrying the rocks in her backpack.

Marty self eliminated himself.

And Doctor Dave. Well he's come across as two faced and conniving. America will also figure he doesn't need the money since he's a doctor. And his comments about cheating on others and not being a very good person in the early episodes will come back to haunt him.

That leaves Patty and Darnell, who are the two the Producers want as winners because they represent ordinary people who have gone above their means to become "heroes".
    You can tell the manipulation by how Patty and Darnell were hooked up with their families and kids which makes for great sympathy and drama from the voters. Lydia, Doctor Dave, and Marty had no time with their loved ones on the show. Also the switch of 3 for Patty by the Producers is a blatant attempt to stack the odds for Patty. Marty is justified in his anger because he realized the Patti tight rope walk basically will shoot her to the front of the pack. Charles also figured that out which is why he left the opportunity at $600K. He knew he didn't have a chance at winning after the Patti switchroo. His only play was to do the heroic sacrifice and either walk away or stay and up the ante with his sacrifice which was the last heroic action of the game.

Darnell's basically talked his way to the final two. He's not a team player, and has been hypocritical by taking the money, lied in the lie detector, yet people and the show have basically ignored his transgressions for the most part.

Who will America vote for. It's a toss up between Darnell and Patty. Either one can win. The others don't have a chance. Not enough camera time (Doctor Dave and Lydia) or in Marty's case negative camera time.

I also find it interesting how this little nerd clique bullied Shuan and Athena for the first half of the show and then once Shuan was eliminated they switched their focus to picking on Marty and talking badly about him behind his back.

For me the true heroes are Charles, Shuan and Patty. But watch Darnell win, which will be comical since he would have taken all the money and left the rest of the "good" guys with zero.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRock View Post
    When America votes, it's going to come down to Patty and Darnell.

Lydia's not going to get many votes. Her challenge was probably one of the easiest or at least looked easy since Lydia outsmarted the game by not carrying the rocks in her backpack.

Marty self eliminated himself.

And Doctor Dave. Well he's come across as two faced and conniving. America will also figure he doesn't need the money since he's a doctor. And his comments about cheating on others and not being a very good person in the early episodes will come back to haunt him.

That leaves Patty and Darnell, who are the two the Producers want as winners because they represent ordinary people who have gone above their means to become "heroes".
    You can tell the manipulation by how Patty and Darnell were hooked up with their families and kids which makes for great sympathy and drama from the voters. Lydia, Doctor Dave, and Marty had no time with their loved ones on the show. Also the switch of 3 for Patty by the Producers is a blatant attempt to stack the odds for Patty. Marty is justified in his anger because he realized the Patti tight rope walk basically will shoot her to the front of the pack. Charles also figured that out which is why he left the opportunity at $600K. He knew he didn't have a chance at winning after the Patti switchroo. His only play was to do the heroic sacrifice and either walk away or stay and up the ante with his sacrifice which was the last heroic action of the game.

Darnell's basically talked his way to the final two. He's not a team player, and has been hypocritical by taking the money, lied in the lie detector, yet people and the show have basically ignored his transgressions for the most part.

Who will America vote for. It's a toss up between Darnell and Patty. Either one can win. The others don't have a chance. Not enough camera time (Doctor Dave and Lydia) or in Marty's case negative camera time.

I also find it interesting how this little nerd clique bullied Shuan and Athena for the first half of the show and then once Shuan was eliminated they switched their focus to picking on Marty and talking badly about him behind his back.

For me the true heroes are Charles, Shuan and Patty. But watch Darnell win, which will be comical since he would have taken all the money and left the rest of the "good" guys with zero.
    You are making a heck of a lot of presumptions that the producers care who wins. They don't. They also can't manipulate the game. The FCC will fine them and lawsuits will start. The beauty of a reality show like this is that the contestants will provide all the ammunition needed. All the producers do is get some good film editors to put together all this material and put together story arcs in a cohesive manner.

Also Marty isn't smart enough to figure anything out.

I haven't cared for Marty from the beginning as he used his size and enthusiasm to bully others from participating.

Marty is not justified in his anger because his team of three wouldn't have completed the challenge in the time allotted and he was not concerned about winning so much as him competing. I can see him being disappointed but he took it to another level to having a "Big Baby Tantrum". What was disgusting is that Patty apologized to him. Marty needs to grow a set.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 07-27-2013 at 02:45 AM.
    MsDiva2007 likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Yes Marty can skip rocks!
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    You are making a heck of a lot of presumptions that the producers care who wins. They don't. They also can't manipulate the game. The FCC will fine them and lawsuits will start. The beauty of a reality show like this is that the contestants will provide all the ammunition needed. All the producers do is get some good film editors to put together all this material and put together story arcs in a cohesive manner.
    You keep saying this but it is simply not true. Reality shows can really manipulate the game through the editing. For example showing Darnell crying with his wife and kids when he wins a challenge but not showing Marty crying with his old construction worker Dad and brother when Marty won the challenge. This kind of thing will influence the voting and it is naive to think otherwise.

I've seen shows where the producers bring back eliminated contestants into the game (not once but twice) because the guy was a villain and "great" for ratings. Remember reality tv isn't reality. They can do whatever they want.

You honestly think that giving a temptation to only Patty that made Patty look good (for not taking the money) and also inserting Patty into the final tight rope challenge while denying Lydia, Dave and Marty their chance at the same time did not hugely help Patty's cause alot in terms of how she will be voted?
    Last edited by TheRock; 07-27-2013 at 11:00 AM.

I don't think reality shows are bound by the same fair play laws that game shows are. I think because they pay a salary, the contestant is considered an actor and has signed agreements that give producers the right to change things (and flat out lie to them).

Quote Originally Posted by TheRock View Post
    You keep saying this but it is simply not true. Reality shows can really manipulate the game through the editing. For example showing Darnell crying with his wife and kids when he wins a challenge but not showing Marty crying with his old construction worker Dad and brother when Marty won the challenge. This kind of thing will influence the voting and it is naive to think otherwise.

I've seen shows where the producers bring back eliminated contestants into the game (not once but twice) because the guy was a villain and "great" for ratings. Remember reality tv isn't reality. They can do whatever they want.

You honestly think that giving a temptation to only Patty that made Patty look good
    (for not taking the money) and also inserting Patty into the final tight rope challenge while denying Lydia, Dave and Marty their chance at the same time did not hugely help Patty's cause alot in terms of how she will be voted?
    What I am saying it didn't matter that Patty was the one left out. It didn't matter who was left out. The person left out would have received a temptation. The producers didn't all of a sudden think "it's Patty we have to give her a temptation because we want her to look good for America".

With this particular cast of characters all the others perceive Patty as being a "weak link" so when it comes to a physical challenge, a timed challenge and they get to pick who they want on a team Patty is not the number one choice. If Marty had been picked to be left behind he is the one who would have been given the temptation. For some reason you think only certain people will be given a temptation. That is not true. The producers do not direct who will be picked for teams or not. These games/challenges are planned in advance. The temptations are planned in advance, who will be there is up to how the team is playing the game.

You have to also understand that editing is done after all the filming is done. All the cast has been home for a couple of months. This show was filmed in February and March 2013 in Panama. The cast has been home for 2 months (April and May) before the first episode aired in June. From your comments you make it seem as if what we are watching was happening as we viewed it and that the producers were manipulating it episode by episode. That is not how it works.

I did not base my vote on the events of what happened during the last episode. I had already decided halfway through the season that I pretty much was probably going to vote for Patty, based on the behavior I had already had seen. I have no trouble sending all these folks home without any money as I honestly don't believe they behaved in a heroic manner 100% of the time.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 07-27-2013 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scoot13 View Post
    I don't think reality shows are bound by the same fair play laws that game shows are. I think because they pay a salary, the contestant is considered an actor and has signed agreements that give producers the right to change things (and flat out lie to them).
    A contest is a contest and the rules are the rules. The producers can manipulate the editing all they want to make us hate or love whatever character they want. They may change our feelings in regard to these characters with editing but it doesn't change how the structure of the game and the rules and penalties involved.

Technically, the participants are not necessarily paid a salary, they get a stipend. I am sure it has some kind of legal meaning. It does depend on the show. I know they do it in Biggest Loser because they are away so long. Very few people can afford to be away from their jobs for so long and when they have families, mortgages and other bills to pay.

I know over on The Hero's facebook page folks are all over themselves gushing how Charles is "The Hero" and how unfair he was voted off and that he should get the money. Well, I thought it was pretty low of him to go after Athena like he did. He made her a target early in the show and I thought that was really not nice and really goes against everything he stood for. I am sure there are lots of folks out there who think he is an idiot for sacrificing himself for the others like he did. He said he would lay down his life for these folks regardless of his family. I have issues with that because I don't think this show is that darned important that you should have to lay down your life for it or anyone on the cast. Personally I would have been OK with him taking the money after his winning the stadium challenge. I think by that point he had done all he could do to prove himself to himself. I don't think anyone of the contestants would have held that against him.
    TripleGemini likes this.

I would totally vote for Lydia. None of the others would get my vote, if Lydia weren't there.

I like Lydia because her plan for the money is very selfless-- assuming that it's really her intention )she seems to be a pretty honest)-- and not just for herself and her family. Of course giving the money to family is also unselfish in many ways, but Lydia seems to want to contribute to the community, which I particularly respect. Also I liked the way she played the game, with a lot of heart and also in a mostly kind way. She did it on her own, and she did a lot of difficult challenges-- and didn't shy away from challenges and self- define herself as "weak" and afraid, the way Patty did. She totally held herself to the same standard as the others and came through. And she is seems warmer and more open as a person than the others, which is a braver way of living ,.

My real problems with Patty are twofold. First she implicitly but very clearly let it be known that she didn't feel up to the challenges-- and therefore was often not expected to compete on the same level as the others. She wanted an "weak" link exception and played it to the hilt. Second, she allied herself immediately in a co-dependent relationship with someone (Marty) who had no respect for her and didn't take her seriously, but treated her as if she was there to support and empower him-- not as an independent and equal player. . She played from behind Marty for the whole game-- until the end when she took on the challenge.

I do somehow wonder if the producers manipulated that last challenge-- because I truly don't understand how Patty was able to do the walk, given that at the beginning, she was unable to walk up the open but highly sheltered stairs of a building. I don't know how it was set up-- but I just can't help wondering if there's something we didn't get to see. To me that transformation was too radical to take place on its own. But even if it did, I don't think she played in a heroic way.

It comes down to who you are in the world-- as Charles said, the game is also about life. Patty as e persona and in the alliance she used to shield herself from risks and challenges throughout the game, is the opposite of my idea of heroic. The others to me were-- even if they had harsh or unlikeable characteristics. I don't really expect that Patty's way of being in the world has changed. And it's not that I think she's a bad person at all-- but I don't see her as heroic.

+ Reply to Thread