+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Polygamy, USA

Polygamy, USA

I was hestitant to start a new thread, since there seems to be so many new reality shows, but I was compelled because this show is so amusing.

This show is really good. I have learned so much about this group. The show focuses on three primary families and shows how life really is living in their polygamist community. They are NOT the Warren Jeffs Mormons.

The show is candid, but respectful. They don't sugarcoat anything. This is nothing like the Sister Wives show on TLC. That is a joke. These families are in a completely different category.

Did you know that with this group, the women select who they believe God wants them to marry. It's not up to the men.

The show is entertaining, but also has great educational value. This is a look at Mormons that I have never seen.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Re: Polygamy, USA

I've been enjoying this series too. It's kind of like a cross between Sister Wives (which I like a lot!) and a documentary on this sect of Mormons.

This show puts Sister Wives to shame, IMO. These people seem to really focus on what they believe God wants and not on being big shots. I just get an entirely different vibe from them. Of course, they are a different sect of Mormons.

I have the latest episode recorded to watch later.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    This show puts Sister Wives to shame, IMO. These people seem to really focus on what they believe God wants and not on being big shots. I just get an entirely different vibe from them. Of course, they are a different sect of Mormons.
    One of the reasons for the difference in the focus of the Polygamy USA show and the Sister Wives is this: it was widely reported when Sister Wives first went on the air, that the Brown family felt the religious aspects of their lives were too important, too personal, and too private to share on tv, so they insisted that it NOT be a part of the show. Instead, they wanted to focus the show on their family life, and their interpersonal relationships. In the Polygamy USA show it's just the opposite. We are hardly shown ANY of the family members' interpersonal relationships --- I'll bet there are multitudes of inter-family conflicts and abrasive interactions that the public is never shown. There's a much different vibe when you are scrutinizing the intimate details of just one family, as compared to when you're showing just the bare surface of what life is like for 4 or 5 families. It's very easy to skim over the Polygamy USA's controversial stuff when each family just has a few moments of air-time per episode.

I see your point Imperfect1, but I do think this show showed conflict within the familes. Recall that Ezra and his parents are on very different pages when it comes to him marrying his girlfriend. The young man is very rebellious and his dad doesn't seem to know how to handle it. I thought that was very candid. They also showed Ezra's sister who left the community and is living outside their rules.

They also showed how Mr. Crawley and his wives were in disagreement about those storage facilities being used for bedrooms. The wives were not amused, but ageed to give it a try. I wonder how the Brown wives would have responded!!!!lol I bet that would not have gone over well at all, considering they want only the finest.

The Browns may have felt their religion was too personal to share with the world, but that's really what explains the people's lifestyle. IMO it's crucial and it really made a difference with understanding their religion.

Perhaps it's a matter of personal taste, but I really prefer this show over Sister Wives. In fact, I'm not sure I can tolerate Sister Wives after seeing this program. It makes their display seem quite trivial.

I caught the one bit about the wife who was being taken out to dinner and they only go out as a couple on special occasions like birthdays or anniversaries. I thought that restaurant was not that special but what really got to me was what a lowdown coward the husband was. You take your wife out to celebrate her birthday. It's her special day. It is your job as a husband to make her feel good, loved, beautiful not to tell her she needs to go back to work to support the family. That was not the time or place. What an ass, how stupid, being that callus about a supposedly beloved wife's feelings. That is low. How the heck did he convince all those women to marry him? They need to stop having so many babies.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Mr. Crawley is certainly a piece of work. Two of his wives say he was their teacher when they received a revelation that he was the one.......oh my. I guess they convince themself that it was God's will. It's odd how one week he said that their outgo funds were higher than their net income, then the next episode he's talking about having more kids.

From what I have learned, the goal is to locate and marry the man that you were designed to be with before you were born. Your mission in life is to bring as many spirits into this world as possible. The spirits in the other world get here by being born. That's why it's so important to have so many children. And, you need the extra wives to do it.

Did you catch the finale episode where Rose says that God has a wife who gave birth to all man kind? I heard that Mormons believe in a heavenly mother long ago, but they don't talk about it. I was surprised she did.

I've heard that Rose is on FB and that she's not married yet.

Debb, when is this on and what channel is it on? Thanks.

Does it repeat at all?
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    Debb, when is this on and what channel is it on? Thanks.

Does it repeat at all?
    Hmmmm.....I think it came on Sunday or Monday nights on National Geographic channel. I'm not sure if you can get it ON Demand or not. Time Warner has about 12 On Demand channels, there's Primetime, Entertainement, Lifestyle, etc. They probably will rerun it.

It appeared to me that this week's episode was the finale. I could be wrong. They showed flash backs to scenes from previous shows and they had a woman get called to speak in church and she commented on the filming crew and what kind of an experience they had. I hate to see it go. I liked it.

Also, if you don't want to watch online, if you have Time Warner Cable there is a feature that allows you to go to use the keyboard on the screen to type in the name of the show and it will list the days and times a show will be on for the next week. If you're interested, let me know and I'll give details on how to find this feature. I use it a lot.
    momrek06 likes this.

I happened to catch this show and unfortunately found it was at the end of the season because I am hooked. I hope it repeats. I like it better than sister wives. I also found it educational and interesting. I confess I think of people like this under the context of Warren Jeffs and sister wives--who I dislike especially Kody. I don't like storage container guy, but I only saw him from the time he told his wife she had to go back to work. What a jerk. I wonder how he plans to support a bigger family since the women are the ones who choose the husbands. It would be presumptious to assume he is going to have more women banging down his door to help him with the childhood goal of 7 wives (who I assume would all be working and popping out babies). Is he going to make the older kids work to help with the family funds? Is all the talk about not having enough money just a story line?

I am interested in how Ezra will turn out after he goes to North Dakota and experiences life outside of the compound. I could see him deciding to leave all together even though right now he says he wants to get married. I just wonder if this quest to earn money to have a wife of his choosing will end up the way he thinks. He definitely seems to want to get out from under his father's thumb. I do find it odd that the brethren want him to have a house and money in the bank to get married, but Hiram and Kelly don't have a house and are living with his brother and were able to get married. Do any of the other episodes explain more about Ezra's girlfriend? I just wonder if she fully knows what she would be getting into. That is quite a radical lifestyle change for someone not raised religious and raised in a world that doesn't accept polygamy and has different values than this community. I just wonder if she has thought out the implications of marrying Ezra and converting (I assume she would have to convert to their religion but I could be wrong.)

Hiram and Kelly are kind of cute with their awkward flirting. I also caught that Kelly only wants 2 children. I may have misunderstood, but I thought they were supposed to have lots of babies. Is there room for family planning in their religion? I wonder if Rose is anywhere near getting married.
    Last edited by Starbucks880; 06-13-2013 at 11:34 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast