+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Polygamy, USA

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Re: Polygamy, USA

Yes! Please tell, Debb. I want to hear the rumors about Isaiah's 2nd wife too!

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders View Post
    Oh, please do tell!!!
    I don't know if Debb70 is talking about the same thing I read, but I read that she and Hyrum were together and caught being physical and both had to be rebaptized. it could be a rumour, but it could also be why he spend almost 4 years as a missionary when they said normally it lasts 2 years. it could be a punishment. I know it couldn't have been for lack of girls being "inspired" by him---he would be Mr May if there was a male polygamist calendar. I didn't see a single other good looking guy in the bunch. Even his brother didn't get the genes to be good looking.
    Last edited by Starbucks880; 06-21-2013 at 09:51 AM.
    maude~flanders and Debb70 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders View Post
    I happened upon this show one day while i was bored and started taping it. I found it really interesting. First, because the girls get to choose their marriage partners - totally against what we usually hear!! And, then some of the things they tell us about their beliefs, like that God has many wives and such. These are usually very secret beliefs held by the Mormon church. They don't want mainstream America knowing that they believe this, so these people are kind of "outing" there more unusual doctrine.

As for Hyrum and Kelly - well, didn't she get lucky by getting his name? lol! I think he might have "inspired" me too! And, she doesn't seem to have the looks or personality to land a guy like that in the real world, so well done, honey!
    I had an odd thought when I was watching Rose Marie telling Kelly that she inspired her that Rose Marie would end up being Hyrum's second wife. I have inferred that it is not so much the girls' choice as much as it is the bretheren. They have the final say so I don't think it is correct to say the women choose. You just know the next one to say Hyrum's name is going to end up being told that God wanted her to be the 4th Cawley wife and to enjoy her shipping container. I just wonder if Kelly comes from an important family, because she couldn't have been the only one with Hyrum's name. Hyrum tried to make the best of it and was sweet to her, but you could tell he did not want her name to come up as his wife. I wonder if he will feel like a sucker when he sees that Ezra can have 10,000 in the bank and get to marry who he wants.

Yes, that upthread is what I heard about Becca and Hyrum. I have no idea if it is true or not though. Apparently people in that community believe in facebook so a lot of their news gets out. I think it is interesting if it is true, since Becca and her sister wife took Hyrum's fiance out to get pedicures right before their marriage. I bet that was awkward. Recall them talking in the car?

I also read that most all of them know each other. And that Kelly and Hyrum knew each other too. The show wasn't clear about that. It seemed they didn't know each other.

I have heard from regular LDS Mormons that they believe in a heavenly mother, but I never heard of multiple mothers. I'll have to check that out.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I went digging and found that same rumor about Becca and Hyrum. Interesting... it's too bad they couldn't marry each other, but these people think it is wrong to marry for love. It does give a little insight into a comment Kelly made to Hyrum when they were eating lunch together, just after being married. He asked her how many guys she had kissed and she said none because she was saving her first kiss for marriage, and he said he couldn't say the same thing. She said, "yeah, I heard that about you." I thought it was a pretty snarky remark. She doesn't seem to like him, so I wonder why she was so "inspired." It also gives insight as to why he doesn't seem to get what a catch he is. He seems to have lower self-esteem than he should. The a-hole brethren have probably done a number on him to make him feel dirty and unworthy because he dared to act like a normal young man. He has been all worried about getting Kelly to like him and trying so hard with her. Whereas she doesn't seem to be trying much at all.

I was hoping that Kelly was just shy and that she was really crazy over him. My guess would be that she knew of him, saw him, thought he was handsome. She was attracted to him and thought, why not. No doubt she heard other people say he was really nice and he had a great mom. Then she told the Brethern that she had received the name Hyrum from God. I don't know how many guys named Hyrum in CP of marrying age.

Now, she's on a tv show and the cameras are following her and she is supposed to act like a wife, but she is too scared. Recall what Hyrum said about they were still keeping their privacy. I took that to mean they had not consumated the marriage yet.

It's going to have to work out. Divorce is really not an option for them. I didn't hear any of them ever talk about divorce.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I was hoping that Kelly was just shy and that she was really crazy over him. My guess would be that she knew of him, saw him, thought he was handsome. She was attracted to him and thought, why not. No doubt she heard other people say he was really nice and he had a great mom. Then she told the Brethern that she had received the name Hyrum from God. I don't know how many guys named Hyrum in CP of marrying age.

Now, she's on a tv show and the cameras are following her and she is supposed to act like a wife, but she is too scared. Recall what Hyrum said about they were still keeping their privacy. I took that to mean they had not consumated the marriage yet.

It's going to have to work out. Divorce is really not an option for them. I didn't hear any of them ever talk about divorce.
    That is how I took it as well. She seems like a shy person and very socially awkward, especially with guys. She also probably knows that Hyrum is way out of her league and the inspiration comes from a crush from afar. Hyrum is trying to make the best of it, though I think he still was hoping for a different girl. Also he lost points when he made that short little girl climb into his big truck on her own. She doesn't know how to act and is probably nervous being intimate with him. I think in that situation I would be blushing and giggly and nervous on camera as well.

As for divorce, there doesn't seem to be divorce, but I wonder if it does happen. I use Arthur as an example. He has all these toddler children, yet none of the wives shown seem to be the mother of those children. Also, they look to be past child bearing age--I didn't catch the exact age, but with the accelerated aging the women experience, I could be wrong. Who is their mother? I thought I heard he had 3 wives, but we don't see 3 wives (unless I missed it). It makes me wonder if there is a wife that is no longer in the picture (my guess probably 25 years old) and either splits custody or Arthur has custody. Whatever the reason, I feel he has been married more times than what he has let on, and he seems like a guy who would say "don't let the door hit ya on the way out." and leave it at that.

Why did I not know this thread existed until now??? I have to read all of your posts!

Well you all have made me want to watch this show. I have no problem really with polygamy if it's the choice of everyone involved and there's no coercion, although it would never be a choice for me. I would also prefer that everyone involved be over 21 when they get married. I did a semester long paper on polygamy for a research class I took in college and find it fascinating. many cultures practice it quite successfully.

I have family who are LDS, Mormons, and none of these people who practice polygamy are mainstream Mormons. They are usually some crazy sect of a couple hundred people at most, but they call themselves Mormons so it's easy to get confused.

Back in the 1800's when, mainstream Mormons practiced polygamy, at the height only about 10% of the population ever did. At the time it was a different world where it was hard for a woman to make it on her own and having children out of wedlock wasn't accepted. There was a shortage of men in the community so I even read some diaries of Mormon women who asked their husbands to marry their sisters so the sister could have a family as well. It wasn't a requirement or even very common for Mormons.

Anyway, I'm going to take a look at this show. It sounds like it's a much more real portrayal of polygamy than sister wives. Having read about polygamy in many cultures it interests me to watch a real polygamous relationship and how it works, or doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbucks880 View Post
    As for divorce, there doesn't seem to be divorce, but I wonder if it does happen. I use Arthur as an example. He has all these toddler children, yet none of the wives shown seem to be the mother of those children. Also, they look to be past child bearing age--I didn't catch the exact age, but with the accelerated aging the women experience, I could be wrong. Who is their mother? I thought I heard he had 3 wives, but we don't see 3 wives (unless I missed it). It makes me wonder if there is a wife that is no longer in the picture (my guess probably 25 years old) and either splits custody or Arthur has custody. Whatever the reason, I feel he has been married more times than what he has let on, and he seems like a guy who would say "don't let the door hit ya on the way out." and leave it at that.
    When they have shown the group photo of Uncle Arthur's family, there are a couple of young women in there. One of them is most likely the daughter that moved to Salt Lake, and I bet the other slightly older young woman is wife #3. He has to have a young wife in the mix, otherwise he wouldn't have all those young children running around. It seems odd that they never show wife #3 on camera though; only the two wives closer in age to Arthur are featured.

I hope they bring this show back for another season . This series is so much better than Sister Wives.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast