+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Polygamy, USA

Re: Polygamy, USA

Oh yes. It certainly does have a documentary flavor to it. It's nothing like those other shows. I can't even stand to see the previews for the Amish shows. One of those was busted last year as being totally fabricated. Meaning that the kids had already been in the world for years and were not actually leaving the Amish community as the show portrayed. I'm not sure how they made a comeback.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    I totally agree with you, Karen. In fact, I would go even one step further and say that to me, "Polygamy, USA" is more like a 'documentary' than a typical reality show. Maybe the poster was thinking of "Breaking Amish" which actually IS a huge embarassment to the genre of reality tv.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Oh yes. It certainly does have a documentary flavor to it. It's nothing like those other shows. I can't even stand to see the previews for the Amish shows. One of those was busted last year as being totally fabricated. Meaning that the kids had already been in the world for years and were not actually leaving the Amish community as the show portrayed. I'm not sure how they made a comeback.
    OMG, I totally agree with both of you. I am also embarassed to say I started that thread on "Breaking Amish" but I quit watching. I did see most of last season and one epi of this new season and it is full of total lies.

Now this show. I only made it through the FIRST epi and I agree with you about it seeming more like a 'documentary'.

Some observations, I thought all polygamy families were well off. WRONG. I thought Arthur(?) the head Elder seemed a bit rough on the missionary boys. I wish that when they were driving around picking up everyone's trash that they had on a trash hauling UNIFORM and not their regular street clothes for a dirty job like that. I wish Arthur and his son had a better relationship.

Debb, PM with that 'rumor' about Becca Thomson. Or put it as a 'spoiler' here. Thx.

Rose Cawley even said she would take any age for a man even if he was in his 70's. Hmm. She looked allot older than 18 to me. I thought she was 25yo when she was first introduced and making the pizzas.

I will keep watching. The show is very informative.
    KAREN

I just watched the first episode of this show. I had watched the others, but missed the first one. I had no idea that Hyram's mom died in the first one. How sad for that family. As Hyram smiled and talked about how he knew she was in a better place, you tell he his heart was breaking.

So with my hubby out of town, I decided to watch all the rest of the epi's yesterday. So here are my thoughts.

First of all CONTAINERS to live in. Are.you.kidding.me??? How is that even LEGAL? Putting your children in darkened storage containers to live. That was disturbing to me.
    As they were discussing it I thought that they would come to their senses as ROSE hated the idea (and then she turned around standing inside the container saying this will be COZY….huh??????). ODD.
    Talk about claustrophobic.

I feel badly for Rose Maire. She is not getting any inspirations and yet she wants to be married in the worst way EVEN if the man is 70yo. Ugh.

I wish that all these children (male and female) of polygamy would all feel about ATTENDING COLLEGE like they feel about getting married.

I think Arthur the Elder is a tough dude. He is always always correcting everyone. No one is right but him. I hate the way he "bumps" into the young men in an attempt to send them a message. That is abusive I feel.
    Hannah was SMART to break away. I hope that Ezra and Tiffany can keep their love for each other despite the distance between them.

The Cawley's: Michael said he makes less than $60,000.00 which could even mean $40,000.00 and has a family of 18 children and 3 wives and wants MORE. WHY do they keep having children when they OBVIOUSLY cannot afford them?
    And now Rose, the first wife is home caring for 9 babies while the other two wives go to work. I don't think a registered day care center in the USA would allow ONE ADULT with that many babies.

Why is it to me that all the adults look MUCH OLDER than their actual age? I was surprised that the youngest Cawley wife is only 29yo. She looked much older than that.

The Thomson's: They seem the most comfortable. The wives all having fun while drinking wine. They are both very pretty and wear make-up and jewelry. Their home is lovely. I wonder what Isaiah does for a living having to leave for 6 weeks at a time. I was surprised that his suticase was a very small carryon for someone that is gone that length of time.

Hyrum and Kelly looked cute together. I hope it works for them BUT what little I know of their Faith, they will make it no matter what obstacles are in their way.

One small thing that bothered me, in the first epi, Ezra was chopping all this wood and NO SAFETY GLASSES on at all as wood particles are flying everywhere.

I think CP cuts allot of corners when it comes to safety.

I still cannot believe someone that CANNOT afford his children a decent living is wanting MORE children. My gawd, Cawley, STOP NOW.
    KAREN

Good points about the families.

I guess my biggest beef is Mrs. Cawely staying home with all those little kids. It's a safety issue. In case of fire, how would she get them all out of the house? That is a major reason child care facilities and home day cares have laws and regulations about adult to child ratio. I hope nothing bad happens. That woman's mental health is going to really be tested.

The storage container idea is actually becoming a trendy thing, but I don't know if they use them for children. Mr. Cawely said they were going to paint them and put windows in them. I think that may help a lot. There are all kinds of issues involving power, insullation, etc. but I still think it's a lousy idea. That guy has a bad attitude, IMO. If he wants a lot more kids, he needs to find him a hardworking woman with a high income. lol

Arthur does have a smart mouth, but I don't judge him too harshly, since he deals with young men who may need that tough line, with a bit of humor. Honestly, he must not be too tough. It seems like he has let his son, Ezra get away with a lot of stuff. Who allows their 16 year-old who lives under your roof quit high school, go from job to job, violate the rules of the house, all the while borrowing your nice car to drive his date to dinner???? My parents are Baptists and there is no way in hell they would have tolerated that from one of their kids. lol

Safety is not a top priority with some communities. I noticed that watching the shows on the people in Alaska. The way they drive over ice covered rivers, eat unrefridgerated meat and fish including road kill, cut wood, etc. It boggles the mind these people survive uninjured. I do think a lot of them don't make it.

I wonder why Rose Marie doesn't seem to be interested in any man. I wonder if it's just not there. She seems to be fine with working as helper in the home and caring for kids. I'm not trying to say she may not have feelings toward a male, but it's possible she's not designed that way. I'm sure there are som gay people in their group. I guess they have to hide it or leave. They don't tolerate that in any way. Or maybe they do. I never knew Mormons cursed or drank wine either. lol
    Imperfect1 likes this.

I have a feeling that Arthur is a big softie underneath that rough exterior. He has won me over. He also had very logical reasons why Ezra and Tiffany should not marry. I do think they desperately need her new genes (lots of relatives, so probably lots of inbreeding probably happens), but she seems very immature and does not seem to have thought out her decision to marry Ezra and join the community. I don't think she will enjoy sharing him or watching him with hot young wife #2 while she is saddled with 3 toddlers. Ezra has a lot of growing up to do--he is an immature high school dropout who also seems very lazy. That whole thing with his truck was ridiculous. Does he need to also be reminded to wipe his butt? He is not even remotely ready for marriage and it seems like he only wants to have lots of wives without any responsibility or doing anything else his religion says. I hope something happens so that either he and Tiffany break up or they decide to keep dating instead.

Michael Crawley is creepy. I have a big problem with someone who can't afford the children he has to want to keep having more children. I also have a feeling he can be a tyrant when the cameras aren't on. Rose looked so scared when she was asking him for applesauce during that grocery trip! As for the shipping containers--assuming Michael Cawley actually spends the money to make them nice and insulated and hopefully plumbing (hopefully the occupants would not have to wander outside in the middle of the night to have to go to the bathroom or deal with extreme changes in temperature), it seems as though it would have made more sense to have just put that money into a new addition on the house. I also have an issue with Rose being left with 9 young children. Is there a way the law could put a stop to that? Not even daycares have that kind of adult to child ratio. What if there is a fire? What if the children are sick? What if Rose gets sick? it doesn't seem thought out.

I also think the Thompsons are the most phony of the families. I get a vibe that those two wives do not like each other and it is weird seeing them pretend to get along.

I don't believe for one second that the women get to choose the husbands. It is obviously subject to approval of the bretheren. Inspiration is just what we outsiders call a teenage crush. I am twice Hyrum's age and I find him pretty inspiring to look at. I imagine that a girl goes to the bretheren and says she wants to marry a boy that she has been crushing on for a while. They then say she is hearing God wrong and instead God wants her to marry 70 year old Herschel with 4 wives.
    maude~flanders and Imperfect1 like this.

I wish they would encourage Rose marie to perhaps attend college or something. Maybe God just doesn't want her married right now. I don't think she completely understand why she doesn't have that urge and I wish there was someone there to tell her what she is feeling is ok. I wonder if her being willing to marry a 70 year with several wives already has to do with her being tired of having so much responsibility caring for her younger siblings and she wants to pick up the slack rather than run the show. Plus I imagine having to sleep with him less and a shorter lifespan has entered her mind.

It seems this life is very hard for the women. All of them look much older than what they are.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I happened upon this show one day while i was bored and started taping it. I found it really interesting. First, because the girls get to choose their marriage partners - totally against what we usually hear!! And, then some of the things they tell us about their beliefs, like that God has many wives and such. These are usually very secret beliefs held by the Mormon church. They don't want mainstream America knowing that they believe this, so these people are kind of "outing" there more unusual doctrine.

As for Hyrum and Kelly - well, didn't she get lucky by getting his name? lol! I think he might have "inspired" me too! And, she doesn't seem to have the looks or personality to land a guy like that in the real world, so well done, honey!
    jenniferboston1 likes this.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I have read that most all of those people on the show know each other, even though they don't seem to. AND that includes Hyrum and Kelly. I have also read some very surprising things about Isaiah's second wife, but I won't go there on this thread. It may be just rumor.
    Oh, please do tell!!!

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders View Post
    Oh, please do tell!!!
    Yes! Do tell!
    KAREN

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast