+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: The American Baking Competition (CBS Wed 8 PM ET)

Re: The American Baking Competition (CBS Wed 8 PM ET)

I'm hoping for a win by Darlene. I've very much liked what she's done. Francine seems to be a nice person, but I'd go bonkers if I had to listen to her for very long.

Brian redeemed himself with me quite a bit by helping James, but I still wonder two things. First is, would he have been so quick to help if he hadn't realized that James was pretty much out of it by then. Secondly, would have have offered the same help to one of the women if needed. I generally don't care about which gender wins anything, but I think I recall him mentioning more than once that he was hoping for a male winner. One the other hand, maybe he said that because he figured he was the best of the men and considered a few of the women as his real competition.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

Yes, Francine and the squirrel was very funny.

What I didn't know about french pastry making (which is everything) I learned last night. I don't think I have half the arm strength to pound butter or whip eggs and cream. whew.

Brian, who had been too cocky, cried when name star baker. That really took me by surprise. Every week he kind of scowls when he says he wants it and when it happened, he broke down. wow.

Because of that, I wouldn't mind if he won. He seems to be on a rising platform while both Francine and Darlene are running into issues. It all depends on the challenges next week.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Darlene was the other one mentioned for star baker this past show, so I think she put in a good showing this week as well.... not too many issues there.

I'm not quite sure with the Paul H. attraction. He has nice eyes, I guess, but they're placed in such a block head. Really, what a square of cranium that man supports on his shoulders. Anyway. I get a kick out of Francine's crush on him.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Try it; so easy! I like to stuff them with whipped cream flavored with chocolate or mocha. Talk about a fast, easy and impressive desert.

I don't bake at all, really, so I have never made any of the stuff they made other than choux pastry because it is so easy.
    One of these days... ;-) I have to use the method where you start it on the stove and then add the eggs in the mixer (arthritis in my hands and wrists means that there's no way I can mix them by hand).

I have made croissants :-) Only problem was that my son and husband ate most of them before the day was done (and it the recipe I use take just about two days to make them...I start the dough on, say, Monday night, and then by the time I do all the resting and rolling and folding, it's Wednesday noon before they're ready to be baked.)

I don't care for Brian. I get a type A personality vibe that I don't find attractive. I remember in his introduction video he said his wife told him she doesn't want to do housework so he does it all. It makes me think he is a control freak and she probably wasn't cleaning to his standards so she said "fine you do it yourself then".
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Did anyone catch tonight's episode?

Quote Originally Posted by kireelady View Post
    Did anyone catch tonight's episode?
    Not yet; I'm DVR'ing it.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I did, and suffice to say I was not happy with how things were handled among a few other things.

Jeff Foxworthy was funny as ever though - he is a natural gameshow host and jokes come rather naturally too. Not many folks can have that ability.
    Last edited by jadewarlock; 07-11-2013 at 01:29 AM.
    tapper01 likes this.

CCL

Disappointed Brian won. Wanted Francine to win. Oh well. I did enjoy it to the end, them all hugging and wishing each other well into the final. Such camaraderie is nice. And I liked the final "showstopper" idea. And Foxworthy was a great host. I hope they have a second season.
    TripleGemini and tapper01 like this.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Disappointed Brian won. Wanted Francine to win. Oh well. I did enjoy it to the end, them all hugging and wishing each other well into the final. Such camaraderie is nice. And I liked the final "showstopper" idea. And Foxworthy was a great host. I hope they have a second season.
    Since now it's been a day, I'd like to say a few things:

1. They set it up for Brian to win. His showstopper didn't look nice, and they had issues with the food. I think they were trying to find errors with Francine to ensure that he'd win.

2. The judges for some reason just wanted to belittle Francine and hurt her morale. She did get worse, but even then she still produced good dishes. Danielle - same thing.

3. Simply put, they went with single day and not whole season in the finale. They did this last week to ensure that Brian had a top three spot (Elaine was better all season as were the other two women), and honestly, I feel that in a finale it should be WHOLE season. Brian simply put was the weakest of the three finalists, and as mentioned even his final showing wasn't really a showstopper and he had the worst of the three doughnuts.

Seriously - I was disappointed. Like Foxworthy, and he'll continue to have a job hosting something, but I think that this show will not have a second season.
    Florimel, spockwhat and tapper01 like this.

+ Reply to Thread