+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: The American Baking Competition (CBS Wed 8 PM ET)

Re: The American Baking Competition (CBS Wed 8 PM ET)

So I decided to Google pretty Paul Hollywood and was more than stunned with what I got back. He and Marcela are having an affair and Paul's wife has kicked him out over it. There are some pretty mocking tweets from the estranged wife. However, it looks like Paul loses everything in the end because Marcela is going back to her husband in Mexico.

OY!

I still think he's pretty, lol, but now he's a pretty scumbag.
    FlyAKite and Babbred like this.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

I like this show for the lack of yelling from the judges. I enjoy the show Chopped as well because I enjoy learning to cook as I finally have the time now that the children are out of the house. I am now cooking for fun not just to feed everyone.

The set up of the cooking area really bothers me because the ovens are not eye level for the contestants. I understand that it is not being filmed on a movie set but couldn't they of rented an actual building ?

I know the ratings are not good so this is probably the first and only season. I have tried but I just don't like Foxworthy as the host. As far as the judges they offer tips and honest critiques but I wish I hadn't read that about the 2 judges. I just didn't need to know about their cheating ways. I do like the blind taste test because it at least seems fair.

I am really sick of Brian and have been ready to see him go since almost the 1st week. I think of all of them that I would like to visit Francine's house. I wouldn't eat that type of food everyday but I think that is a house filled with love.

@FlyAKite - there isn't a hint of what's going on behind the scenes on the show and i like that. They are scum but at least they are being professional about it.

I think the ratings will be better this week because there aren't big shows competing against it. I hope they give it a chance to develop a following. Although I'm afraid that next season they will add drama and nasty judges in an attempt to increase ratings.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

FORT Fogey

I kind of like this show. I cannot believe that the woman judge wore a denim jacket with jeans. Really? What stylist would allow that. I guess they don't have one handy.

I was also shocked a contestant (guy who had help) going on a baking show would not know how to make a choux pastry. One of the easiest things to bake and everyone loves them stuffed with savory stuff too! Make small ones and bring them to a pot luck stuffed with something (not too wet) for an hors d'oeuvre. They are gone in a flash.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I was also shocked a contestant (guy who had help) going on a baking show would not know how to make a choux pastry. One of the easiest things to bake and everyone loves them stuffed with savory stuff too! Make small ones and bring them to a pot luck stuffed with something (not too wet) for an hors d'oeuvre. They are gone in a flash.
    I bake all the time (except days like today when it's too hot ;-) ), and I've never made a choux pastry. (I've never made a Neopolitan, either.)

I have to say that I was really impressed with Brian helping James. He (Brian) didn't totally redeem himself, but that was a really nice thing to do.
    NCLurker and Arielflies like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    I bake all the time (except days like today when it's too hot ;-) ), and I've never made a choux pastry. (I've never made a Neopolitan, either.)

I have to say that I was really impressed with Brian helping James. He (Brian) didn't totally redeem himself, but that was a really nice thing to do.
    Try it; so easy! I like to stuff them with whipped cream flavored with chocolate or mocha. Talk about a fast, easy and impressive desert.

I don't bake at all, really, so I have never made any of the stuff they made other than choux pastry because it is so easy.
    TripleGemini likes this.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

I'm not too happy Elaine was eliminated over Brian. Yes, he had a great week and she had a decidedly poor one, but heading into the finals, Elaine was a more consistent baker than Brian. He had more poor weeks than she did and she shone more often. Hate that, but it is what it is, I guess. James was the right choice to go this week, but I think they should have had one more week to figure out who was going to the final.

Of the three finalists, I'm putting my money on Darlene. I really, really like Francine and I'd be more than happy with her getting first, but I think she's got tough competition with Darlene. I'd just rather not have Brian win the whole thing.

Could you imagine how much butter Francine could buy if she won the whole thing!? heehee
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

Until last night I couldn't stand Brian but then he helped James and (mostly) redeemed himself. He seems to have had a change of heart and that's pretty rare. I've seen a few people change after they've seen themselves on tv, but I'm not sure I've seen anyone even attempt that during a show. From his comments, he seemed like he was learning. It would be interesting to know if it sticks, but considering his help to James it just might. I didn't want him to do well at the beginning but I will admit it appeared he was the right choice for winning star baker.

Francine just cracks me up so I'm glad she's continuing on for that reason alone. I think Darlene will win it all but if not I'd prefer Francine.

Poor James was likeable but he was a big mess and deserved to go. Elaine had been doing so well at the start but she fell apart this week too. I wanted her to be able to pull it together but she didn't manage to.

I really like JF as host. Not only is he very light-hearted but encouraging all at the same time. The long fork thingy was hilarious. I don't know why they won't just give him a plate too. His fake-out saying it was his recipe was funny too.
    Arielflies likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Try it; so easy! I like to stuff them with whipped cream flavored with chocolate or mocha. Talk about a fast, easy and impressive desert.

I don't bake at all, really, so I have never made any of the stuff they made other than choux pastry because it is so easy.

In Europe, choux pastries are hugely popular. They're often stuffed with cream, then several of them are put in a bowl and smothered with chocolate sauce. Said dessert is called "profiteroles". (pro-FIT-er-oles) When I lived in England I lived on those things.

Now that we live in Texas my Brit husband like to adopt a twangy accent and call them profit-EAR-roles.
    TripleGemini likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

CCL

Francine being distracted by a squirrel during her talking head segment was funny -reminded me of Doug from the movie Up. I would like for Francine to win. I think she started off strong and now has gone down a bit, whereas Darlene has done the opposite. While Brian was better last night, I still don't want him to win.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread