+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: The American Baking Competition (CBS Wed 8 PM ET)

FORT Fan

Re: The American Baking Competition (CBS Wed 8 PM ET)

So sad to see Effie eliminated. Her nerves just seemed to get the best of her.

I'm really enjoying this show. The contestants are likable, there's not too much drama, and I like Jeff Foxworthy as host. Just some fairly normal people showing off their baking skills. I like the blind judging aspect too. I like watching JF during the judges critiques, as he tastes all the baked goods....he's definitely enjoying his job! It's fun to watch.
    Ellen likes this.

I did feel bad for Francine having to share a "frigerrator" with Mr "I deserve to be masterbaker"
    Babbred likes this.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

I was stunned to see Effie eliminated instead of Brian. She has not been very consistent, but I'd take that over Brian, whose baked goods have been consistently underwhelming. In week 3, Jeremy had three bad rounds, and Kolette had two bad first rounds, but a great Showstopper, which saved her. This week, Brian had three bad rounds, Effie had two, but her Showstopper was stunningly beautiful, so I can't understand why she was not saved.

I too love this show for many reasons. Jeff Foxworthy is a great host. Funny, likeable, and you can tell how much he's loving it. Also love it because most contestants are likeable, and even the one that's not likeable, Brian, is at least tolerable. And there is also a clear focus on the food itself, not on drama. It's a very refreshing change, especially when compared to the current season of MasterChef, which is putting way too much emphasis on drama and barely any on the food itself, and it's quickly becoming the weakest season so far.
    Florimel and Babbred like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
    ... Foxworthy is a great host. Funny, likeable, and you can tell how much he's loving it...
    It cracks me up whenever he has to translate "southern speak," and when he talks about his pants getting too tight. Clearly, he loves his job!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I really like him, also. Last episode he said by the end of the competition he would be wearing pregnancy pants.

Part of what makes it such a calming show is the setting; and they let you see it everytime they return from commercial break. With all the rain and thunder and wind and weather intruding with sound but not physically, it is almost a perfect way to spend time at summer camp.
    Ellen and Babbred like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Where are the recipes some of them are seen consulting during the show stopper portion coming from? It looks like they all have some hand written recipes but only some of them use it.

Are these their recipes or are they the recipes of the judges? I don't remember them ever saying anything about these recipes.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Those are their own recipes.

They use Judges' recipes for the technical challenges.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Why are they always staring into the oven when their product is baking? I can understand during the technical bake if they get something they have never made before but some of them watch and fret and peek in the door even when they are baking something they have made hundreds of times at home.

CCL

Because they're in a competition for thousands of dollars and are nervous about getting things right. Plus these aren't their home stoves, and stoves often have quirks (for example, their home stoves might run hot and they're used to adjusting for that while these stoves might not have that issue, but have different issues). Plus what else are they going to do with the time when the things are baking, have a koffee klatch (though, that might be interesting actually)?
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Because they're in a competition for thousands of dollars and are nervous about getting things right. Plus these aren't their home stoves, and stoves often have quirks (for example, their home stoves might run hot and they're used to adjusting for that while these stoves might not have that issue, but have different issues). Plus what else are they going to do with the time when the things are baking, have a koffee klatch (though, that might be interesting actually)?
    Oh only if Hollywood can be part of it and we get plenty of close ups of his pretty eyes.....I'm such a shallow creature....and no shots of creepy lizard eye Brian.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

+ Reply to Thread