+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: The American Baking Competition (CBS Wed 8 PM ET)

Re: The American Baking Competition (CBS Wed 8 PM ET)

I was able to watch three episodes "on demand" for free, have more been shown? I want to make sure i'm caught up. I really like this show.

I think it's a bit of a misnomer or even exaggeration to call them the best amateur bakers in America. The only one I can see who might come close to that title is the self-professed redneck (name?), the one who made the peanut butter/chocolate/bacon pie. She seems to be pretty good although I wish she'd stop with the fawning of Hollywood already.

Oh...and cannot stand "crutch boy", he rubbed me wrong from the moment he looked at me from the screen with his creepy lizard unblinking eyes.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

CCL

I'm not sure how many episodes there have been, I want to say three or four. Last episode was bread so if you watched that one you're up to date.
    Were they calling them the best amateur bakers? The best that applied, I would say. I would say the ones remaining now are pretty good.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Hi CCL,

So I'm an episode behind. I was able to find the first 3 on demand and watch them for free, they are also available on their app for free. However, the 4th one hasn't been released yet. I don't have room on my DVR to record this show so I'm going to be relying on these other sources to see it since I don't want to purchase a season pass from iTunes. I'm going to be about a week behind! LOL

The description from their website:

A new competition baking series on CBS! The American Baking Competition will feature skilled amateur Americans competing in baking challenges with one ultimately being crowned the winner.

The 10 bakers were chosen from a nationwide search of amateur bakers at local casting bake-offs. Proving the joy of baking's broad appeal, the six female and four male home bakers have varied lives and jobs, including a firefighter, photographer, homemaker, attorney, advertiser, home health care provider, college student, retiree, project manager and a baking enthusiast trying to go pro.
    I read another description where they led the reader to believe these were the best. I have to agree with your distinction, that they are the best that applied.

Does anyone else watch and wonder what you'd make for each round? I had lots of ideas for the pie and cookie episodes, but not so much for the bread and cake episodes.

I just baked my first bread ever about a month ago. I made a knock-off recipe of Aunt Annie's pretzels you find in the mall. And you don't boil them at all. Just quickly dip in warm water with baking soda. Amaze balls!! It wasn't hard at all. For some reason, I've always been afraid to work with yeast. But not anymore!
    Ellen and cablejockey like this.

That was an upset I didn't see coming.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Quote Originally Posted by tbamom View Post
    That was an upset I didn't see coming.
    I did, that baker has let the stress/pressure of the competition get to them. Since the episode has already aired, I don't think it's a spoiler anymore. Right?

For me the only upset would be if Francine or Elaine went home since they have done really well. Although Francine did bobble a bit in the bread competition.

I'm a week behind the show since I can't record it or watch it due to conflicts with other shows. However, I'm just abotu to delete Master Chef due to hating Hell's Kitchen and that show becoming the amateur version of HK. I have no interest in watching people being berated, belittled, and insulted. I do not have find that entertaining in the slightest.
    Florimel likes this.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Aw, Effie. I really liked her but she was too inconsistent. I wish they had bumped off the freaky lizard eyes guy instead. Darlene now joins Elaine and Francine at the top of the pack (but the pack is shrinking fast!) with two star baker wins. I can't believe there are only five left... it feels like this show is going to be over before it really got started.
    I hope lizard man goes next week and James survives a little longer. He's so cute and funny. And a better cook too, of course. That's why they should keep him. :p
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

So overquoted but still so true, just 'don't let the haters stop you from doing your thang.'

I have masterchef taped so I don't know what happened but I agree that it is not what I expected/wanted in a show.
    I really like Francine and I didn't think I would. Her family sure is large, though.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Quote Originally Posted by tbamom View Post
    I have masterchef taped so I don't know what happened but I agree that it is not what I expected/wanted in a show.
    I really like Francine and I didn't think I would. Her family sure is large, though.
    I'm a week behind you guys, I don't mind being spoiled, lol. I had read on here comments about how large her family was so I was sort of expecting it. The reality was much worse than I imagined. It always breaks my heart a little seeing a child (even though they are teens) that large. The health problems they are going to carry into adulthood.

I adore Francine, her personality is the kind that just makes me smile. Somebody needs to pry her away from the lard and butter, though.

Just now getting to watch on DVR:
    Jeff Foxworthy is so much fun!
    sunnydayz likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread