+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: The American Baking Competition (CBS Wed 8 PM ET)

Re: The American Baking Competition (CBS Wed 8 PM ET)

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
    I have only been watching every so often, but I really like this show. Lots of baking and just a smidge of soap opera. One thing that always puzzles me is why are they cooking in this tent in the woods? A very fancy tent, with stoves, electricity and space mind you, but why not in a studio?
    I'm enjoying the show, and I love the host. But this is bugging me too. It made me wonder if the participants are bunking in tents out back as well!
    cablejockey likes this.
    Congratulations Mickey and Pete!

Quote Originally Posted by kireelady View Post
    It was Kollette's time to go. She just couldn't get it together.
    I agree, but I will say I give her major props for getting this far in a competition where she could not eat a SINGLE thing she was baking. For her to do better than I think three/four competitors shows she's got the skills... just needs to refine them some.

One thing that always puzzles me is why are they cooking in this tent in the woods?
    For some reason they are filming in Ball Ground, GA at Gibbs Gardens. My bet is someone decided on this location for a number of reasons (i.e. that was where they grew up, one of the judges is from there, tax incentives, etc.) Nothing in that area other then maybe a warehouse is big enough so they figured just assemble something where they would have full control over everything (i.e. equal workstations for everyone, product placement) in a place that would make for some great nature shots.

We've seen two shows now and I do like that it is bickering free, and not too much drama. With three competitions a week there's not much time to show anything but the baking - and I like that! I don't know a lot about baking so I don't always understand the technical stuff but it is interesting.
    Babbred likes this.

New Star Baker - Darlene.

Signature bread, soft pretzels (with the history lesson thrown in) and croissants. At least they gave them overnight on the croissants for the dough to gel.

I find the whole process fascinating as I am not a from scratch baker. I have made bread (in a machine) and, in my very young days, a round molasses loaf from a grandmother's recipe. That was fun, and sticky.

Bye, Kollette. She missed her cats, so all is good in her going home.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

...One thing that always puzzles me is why are they cooking in this tent in the woods? A very fancy tent, with stoves, electricity and space mind you, but why not in a studio?
    Seriously, it's a CBS show.
    Like there's no decent studio space anywhere outside of New York or California?
    Or is it a "folksy" thing?
    cablejockey likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

FORT Fogey

These are the best contestants they could find? Really? I have an issue with casting. I am a good cook but do not bake that much. That said I do know that you only boil pretzels or bagels for 30 seconds. And that says a lot because the only bread I bake is from the Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day.

You mix it up and keep in in fridge, no kneading.

The results are crusty, yeasty tasting perfect rustic bread. Ciabbata, Tuscan, whatever your definition, this it the way to go and so insanely easy and perfect every time. I cannot find more words to say this is a must. You can grab and handful of dough and make a pizza, flat bread, rolls or loaf. I keep this in my fridge often. It is a gift from the universe. Perfect and so easy. I wish I could get in all of your heads and make you buy this book.

What is up with the silly women? Come on! There are smart, hip women and men who see creating food as an art and don't wear frickin bows in their hair or bury our faces and giggle when given a compliment! Cast them! ARG! Okay, I am done. Well, for now anyway.
    Last edited by Shoepie; 06-20-2013 at 07:33 PM.

CCL

I like the cast (well, apart from Brian). Kolette was a bit kooky, but that's ok. There's plenty of strong women on the show -Elaine, Effie, Francine. The personalities on this show are actually much better than on other shows, I find. Masterchef, for example, has numerous jerks and villains. Whereas these contestants, for the most part, seem nice and supportive. As for not knowing about making pretzels - there are so many different types of baking, they cannot be expected to know everything.
    They film in Georgia because that's where Foxworthy is from and he wanted to film in his home state. I am sure they probably got tax incentives, too. The tent - just like the show format - is taken from the British show that the American show is based upon. In the first series of the British show, each week was held at a different location in the country, which is I guess where the idea of having a tent that they could take with them came from.
    Last edited by CCL; 06-20-2013 at 09:35 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    ...The tent - just like the show format - is taken from the British show that the American show is based upon. In the first series of the British show, each week was held at a different location in the country, which is I guess where the idea of having a tent that they could take with them came from.
    Okay -- that makes sense.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I just watched the first episode, I like it. Jeff Foxworthy is doing a good job as a host. I think it's pretty stark the contrast between this show and Master Chef. I have to say that I much prefer this more civilized version.
    Ellen, Florimel, Babbred and 1 others like this.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

+ Reply to Thread