+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: The American Baking Competition (CBS Wed 8 PM ET)

CCL

Re: The American Baking Competition (CBS Wed 8 PM ET)

I've heard it pronounced with an "oo" sound and without...whatever way you pronounce them, macarons are delicious. Mmmm....
    I do think Brian (?) is the "villain" and not just because the show is painting him as such....he just seems self-satisfied which does not appeal.
    A lot of the cookies were fruit-flavoured....this is wrong, people. Jeremy and Brian had the right idea with their chocolate chip cookies.
    I didn't really like the looks of Manuella's s'more cookie that the technical challenge was based on..it did look like the kind you can buy at the store, which are gross.
    Rooting for Francine, Effy and the two other women - one who was the former university administrator and the other one who is the blond housewife.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie View Post
    THANK YOU!! I just thought Jeff was trying to mesh his southern accent with a french accent and pronounced 'macarON' instead of 'macarOOn'....then they came out of the oven and I was like "those are not macaroons!!!". I guess I've never heard of a macaron.....and I graduated from Culinary School. (hiding head in shame....).
    Don't feel bad - I was going "Why are the calling them macarons and not whoopie pies?" because they look - appearance wise - the same. (and yes, I know there is a difference. )
    Ellen likes this.

I'm so glad we're having this conversation. I was confused about the macaroon/macaron thing, too. I agree that I'm a chocolate chip cookie girl.
    Ellen likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

I didn't like most of the cakes in the Showstopper round. I think most of the designs didn't translate well when cut open. The one I liked the best was Kolette's (shockingly), but she is starting to drive me a little nuts with the crying and "I'm doing my best" every single week. She keeps getting the critique that her food doesn't look good and, not to be mean, but maybe SHE thinks it looks good so she isn't understanding what the judges are talking about. If you look at her hair- it's always in a crazy, unbrushed, weird style and she obviously thinks that it looks good (and that's fine), but maybe to others (like me), it looks disheveled and not taken care of. It's a "some people's trash is another person's treasure" kind-of thing.

For some reason my DVR decided not to record this (and other shows this week) so I just watched online.

Is it Francine who has won Star Baker two weeks in a row? Good for her.

I agree about Kolette. Poor dear is a wannabe and her "styling" comes through in her presentations.

I wish Jeremy's cherry pie inside the cake had worked. I wonder what caused the pie to lose its crust? Was the cake not cooled? Good-bye Jeremy. He really has struggled the whole competition so far.

Next week is BREAD, and I'm going to re-set my DVR.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Elaine won the star baker two weeks in a row, though Francine won it the first week for pies. I think these two ladies are currently the ones to beat, though I feel Effie is a dark horse.

I also agree about Kolette. It also kind of shows up in her own style: wacky hair and all that glitter! But baking demands some refinement, and I don't believe that is really Kolette... she did a fine job on the massive (!) checkerboard cake though and the white icing was just right.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

So overquoted but still so true, just 'don't let the haters stop you from doing your thang.'

Interesting that Paul Hollywood and Marcella V. have each left their respective spouses and are now a couple...

Since I first read this on the thread, I have been watching them and they are getting "warmer" looks on their faces. You have to admit they are probably better suited for each other than their current/ex spouses.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

I just started watching on the cake episode; I like this show. Bread is my favorite food and cake is my favorite desert so I tuned in at the exact right time! No interest in cookies and pies only if they are savory. Skip the filling and just give the crust works too!

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    Elaine won the star baker two weeks in a row, though Francine won it the first week for pies. I think these two ladies are currently the ones to beat, though I feel Effie is a dark horse.

These two are definitely dominating the competition. I love it when Paul tells Elaine that her cooking reminds him of home.

I also agree about Kolette. It also kind of shows up in her own style: wacky hair and all that glitter! But baking demands some refinement, and I don't believe that is really Kolette... she did a fine job on the massive (!) checkerboard cake though and the white icing was just right.

Her personal style has bugged me since Day 1. She reminds me of a high school girl.

I must say, though, that I loved her checkerboard cake. Years ago I saw a recipe book for high tea, British-style. It featured a very similar recipe, and said that it was popular at the turn of the 20th century. The main difference was that the book called it "Battenburg Cake". I always dreamed of making one, so I'm glad Kollette did.
    spockwhat likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

+ Reply to Thread