+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: The American Baking Competition (CBS Wed 8 PM ET)

Re: The American Baking Competition (CBS Wed 8 PM ET)

I like this show because it seems.....for lack of a better word....nice. As someone said upthread- no nasty, cutthroat stuff going on and they are BAKING...that alone makes it homey and feelgood. So far, so good!

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred
    Who was that guy who cheated on the cookies on tonight's show? Guess he's our resident villain. Do you think Paul saw through him? He sure didn't look happy.
    I found it to be a little overdramatic since it was the guy who baked them who brought it up that he had a first batch. (I don't remember his name either). It would have felt more like he was hiding them if he hadn't mentioned it to the judges.
    I also noticed that when he said that he was the best baker in his house, Jeff Foxworthy started shouting to all the other bakers that he said he was the best baker there. Entirely untrue... it feels like they are trying to make him into a villian.

I'm really enjoying the show too... it's great for baking inspiration. I really like Elaine, and I'm thinking she, Francine, and Effie are the frontrunners right now?
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

I forgot to tape this last night as I was mastercheffing it. Now I will have to find it on demand later in the week.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Hey! All Y'all! I love Jeff translating southern speak to the Brit, Paul. Jeff, with his relaxed, aw shucks manner helps make this show. What's better than a big tent in a Georgia field with ovens in it?

Was it the macaroon cookie they baked for the final challenge? I sure didn't recognize it. I thought macaroons were soft roundish cookies made with cocoanut (showing toasted on the outside.)

The "sophisticated" S'Mores looked like those marshmallow cookies you can buy in the store. It was interesting, though, that they all knew how to make marshmallow cream, and the tip about forming a Graham Cracker crust. I loved the little history lesson Jeff threw in about the beginnings of the Graham Cracker.

I'm so enjoying this show and agree with the challenge winners and the star baker for that session as well as the person sent home.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Hey! All Y'all! I love Jeff translating southern speak to the Brit, Paul. Jeff, with his relaxed, aw shucks manner helps make this show. What's better than a big tent in a Georgia field with ovens in it?

Was it the macaroon cookie they baked for the final challenge? I sure didn't recognize it. I thought macaroons were soft roundish cookies made with cocoanut (showing toasted on the outside.)

The "sophisticated" S'Mores looked like those marshmallow cookies you can buy in the store. It was interesting, though, that they all knew how to make marshmallow cream, and the tip about forming a Graham Cracker crust. I loved the little history lesson Jeff threw in about the beginnings of the Graham Cracker.

I'm so enjoying this show and agree with the challenge winners and the star baker for that session as well as the person sent home.
    Those were Macarons that they made, not macaroons. Macaron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Ellen and Florimel like this.

Oh, thanks. I was confused by the pronunciation as they discussed them. Guess I am, for sure, not knowledgeable about cookies beyond chocolate chip.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine3331 View Post
    Those were Macarons that they made, not macaroons. Macaron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    THANK YOU!! I just thought Jeff was trying to mesh his southern accent with a french accent and pronounced 'macarON' instead of 'macarOOn'....then they came out of the oven and I was like "those are not macaroons!!!". I guess I've never heard of a macaron.....and I graduated from Culinary School. (hiding head in shame....).

One other little picky thing I noticed was when Jeff told them to 'rest up' for the final challenge and he would 'see them tomorrow'. When they all filed in "the next day", they all were wearing the exact same clothes as the (supposed) day before. I do hate such obvious continuity issues....but I still love the show!
    Last edited by Maybaybie; 06-06-2013 at 12:40 PM.
    Shoepie likes this.

[Just watching now on DVR, and haven't read much upthread]
    Quickie comments:

Seriously, Jeff Foxworthy can pronounce "macaron" correctly, but the so-called expert judge, Marcela Valladolid, cannot? Really??!!!! (The contestants were about half and half.) The closed captioning was all wrong, as all mentions of that cookie was spelled "macaroons." It's not rocket science. Or shouldn't be for a ...umm...BAKING show.

Oh yeah -- and that lying slimeball on crutches should have been the one eliminated for cheating. (He's the world's best baker?)

Overall, though, this show is fun. In my home, hubby is the cook and I'm the baker. So far, I like this one just a little bit more than MasterChef.
    Last edited by Ellen; 06-06-2013 at 04:48 PM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I wouldn't have known about macarons either except that I've seen one or two bakeries on tv that specialize in them. They did look delicious on those shows. Like many of you, I know macaroons.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Macarons are going to be the next cupcake...mark my words. They are made with almond flour instead of regular flour and are, therefore gluten free.

I just made a batch earlier this week and was talking about them in the food thread. In French we also call those round buttons that have sayings on them and you pin them to your clothes macarons.

I freaking love them and my butt shows it.
    Ellen and Florimel like this.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast