+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: The American Baking Competition (CBS Wed 8 PM ET)

Re: The American Baking Competition (CBS Wed 8 PM ET)

(Just now watching on DVR)
    What the heck are "bowl peanuts"?
    Francine said something about her state's food being "bowl peanuts."
    Googled, but didn't find anything that made sense.

Maybe closed captioning messed up (not unusual) and it was "bold" peanuts.
    Hmm -- Googled again, but again, didn't find anything that made sense. Maybe Francine meant something along the lines of a really *bold* peanut flavor? Or the use of lots of peanuts? I dunno...
    Last edited by Ellen; 07-11-2013 at 12:23 PM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

LOL!

I haven't watched but I bet she said boiled peanuts. Her accent would have made it sound like bowl.

I am not going to watch this episode, I could not stand Brian and I have no desire to watch him win.
    Ellen and Dicechick like this.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000 View Post
    LOL!

I haven't watched but I bet she said boiled peanuts. Her accent would have made it sound like bowl...
    Doh! Okay...
    Just now Googled "boiled peanuts" -- yeah, that must be it.
    I'm usually really good at deciphering accents. I guess I wasn't expecting "boiled" from someone from the U.S. Southeast. (From my recent work experience, I'm johnny-on-the-spot with African, European, Asian, Canadian accents -- to be sure. Some U.S. American -- but not so many clients in my city for dialect coaching/accent reduction from U.S. clients. Maybe in L.A., but not so much here.)
    So there's something in the U.S. Southeast that isn't fried ... or "frahd"? Maybe that's why it didn't click with me -- nor the closed-captioning software? Now in my Midwest Polish-American culture where almost everything is boiled (the other extreme)? Different story... (except for special-occasion fried treats, such as pączki )
    Thank you ... learn something new every day!
    Last edited by Ellen; 07-11-2013 at 12:43 PM.

@Ellen

LOL!

I'm from Louisiana (close to New Orleans) and I actually don't have much of an accent. My husband is from Texas and has a heavy accent. I've learned to decipher the thick southern accents because of him. I recognized boiled peanut as soon as you typed bowl because it sounds to me like they are saying bowl when they say it.

His accent gives anything with voice recognition fits, so I can imagine that it would completely mess up close captions (the heavy accents).

Boiled peanuts are pretty huge even here in Virginia (where I live now). In Louisiana, they boil them with cajun seasonings. They are really good because the seasoning permeates through everything. I recommend trying them (there are also barbecue ones that are really good).
    Ellen likes this.

Thank you, Harmony! That *does* sound really good.
    Question: for bowled/bold/boiled peanuts -- do they have to start out raw? (Not sure where to get raw peanuts here.) Or are the roasted ones okay?
    I guess I can always Google the recipes, but I'm lazy now from having done lesson prep...

Google cajun seasoned boiled peanuts, even Rachael Ray has a recipe for it. You use raw peanuts. I've always had them in the shell. The kind that you buy by the pound in one of those cloth bags?

LOL I know you don't want to google but they are really good.

FORT Fan

I was disappointed last night, as I was hoping Francine or Darlene would win. I began to wonder last week if Brian was going to win though, as he started to have a more positive edit. I thought they should have taken more of the overall season into account for the final winner, not just this final episode's bakes. Rats. Loved watching JF last night. He certainly enjoyed his job and seemed to like all of the contestants.
    tapper01 likes this.

I still haven't seen the end. But just now, I'm looking at the doughnut (not sure why fried or "frahd" doughnuts are in a baking competition, but, whatever) competition. I would, at this point, choose Darlene as the winner.

Really, has no one looked at the tapes and has seen that Brian cheated in the cookie competition? And that doesn't count? Yeah, reality my @$$.

OTOH, I love Foxworthy as a host. He's funny and kind at the same time. I love that! I also love that the contestants were supportive as well as competitive -- and the edit showed that balance clearly. It reminds me of my experience on "Jeopardy!" -- we were competing with each other, but we respected each other and hoped for the best for our competitors, while at the same time wanted to win. I can't even begin to explain it -- but I see that dynamic in this show. Like when I lost on "Jeopardy!" (I won a trip to Maui, so -- no real loss there!), but I really liked and respected my competitors. We all encouraged and cheered on each other. There was no rudeness, no bad stuff.
    Last edited by Ellen; 07-11-2013 at 01:46 PM.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

If there is no second season, production has no one to blame but themselves.

As far as I'm concerned, in the first season of a reality show, you want the viewers to enjoy the finale... make sure your winner is edited to look the part of hero or something so people will be happy with the outcome. Brian was played up as a villian earlier in this show, and they wait until the last 2 weeks to try to redeem him?! Absolute stupidity. If they had given Brian a better edit at least a couple of weeks earlier they could have saved the final from being a complete bomb. It was terrible.
    That's point number one as to why production is plain stupid. Number two is that they are giving this man a book deal. Who here will buy a cookbook written by BRIAN? No one, at are least mostly no one.
    Personally, of all the contestants, I would have bought Francines... because she came up with dishes that were different to me that I would actually like to try, and she has a personality and sense of humour that would have translated well to a book. MAJOR whoops on the part of the show.
    Really, I liked this show, and I think they just BLEW it. I'm rather annoyed with the stupidity of the whole thing.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

So overquoted but still so true, just 'don't let the haters stop you from doing your thang.'

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000 View Post
    @Ellen

LOL!

I'm from Louisiana (close to New Orleans) and I actually don't have much of an accent. My husband is from Texas and has a heavy accent. I've learned to decipher the thick southern accents because of him. I recognized boiled peanut as soon as you typed bowl because it sounds to me like they are saying bowl when they say it.

His accent gives anything with voice recognition fits, so I can imagine that it would completely mess up close captions (the heavy accents).

Boiled peanuts are pretty huge even here in Virginia (where I live now). In Louisiana, they boil them with cajun seasonings. They are really good because the seasoning permeates through everything. I recommend trying them (there are also barbecue ones that are really good).
    I'm from Texas too and yes, I can sympathize with voice recognition.

Around here, a lot of people when they refer to boiled peanuts call them "Goobers" though that's just the name for a peanut.

Unless they don't want to confuse it with the brand name Goobers - chocolate covered peanuts.

+ Reply to Thread