+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Arielflies

Thread: Resale Royalty - Style Network

Resale Royalty - Style Network

Anybody watching this? It's a pretty good show about a designer resale shop. About the only thing I don't like about it is everybody talks like valley girls and they are in Missouri, can't quite figure that out. They are pretty generous when buying people's stuff too, they will give you 50% of what they plan to sell it for. I've sold clothes to resale shops before and they don't give you jack!

Re: Resale Royalty - Style Network

Quote Originally Posted by karna68 View Post
    Anybody watching this? It's a pretty good show about a designer resale shop. About the only thing I don't like about it is everybody talks like valley girls and they are in Missouri, can't quite figure that out. They are pretty generous when buying people's stuff too, they will give you 50% of what they plan to sell it for. I've sold clothes to resale shops before and they don't give you jack!
    Yeah, I live in St. Louis. Most people speak in pretty much standard English. You might get the occasional "warsh" for "wash" or "highway farty-far" for "highway forty-four". I think that "Valley Girl" is pretty much everywhere. I remember when the song came out (I'm 45) , everyone started talking like that: "gag me with a spoon" and making every statement sound like questions. I regretfully admit that I have on many occasions (more than I'd care to admit, actually) sprinkled the word "like" ten times in a three-word sentence. Considering my generation is getting older, I guess we didn't really grow out of that so much...
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

Even though I was born in Oregon, all of my relatives were migrants from the midwest. From them I learned to say warsh and crick. As an adult I don't realize the dialect is still with me until someone points it out, usually by laughing and asking to hear it again. I don't mind, it's kind of fun.
    Kocky_Kamikaze likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I basically have a standard English accent (as I've been told), but when I lived in in New York for three years, I started speaking like a St. Louis Southsider! I could actually hear myself! I wonder why is that? It was hilarious!

I like this show. I think the owner/operator is a classy lady. I like her philosphy about doing the right thing in her business.

I was shocked to find out they were in St. Louis! They must have some pretty fancy, smancy ladies in that area to have such high end merchandise. If there is a store similar to it in Raleigh, NC, I don't know where it is located.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I like this show. I think the owner/operator is a classy lady. I like her philosphy about doing the right thing in her business.

I was shocked to find out they were in St. Louis! They must have some pretty fancy, smancy ladies in that area to have such high end merchandise. If there is a store similar to it in Raleigh, NC, I don't know where it is located.
    I am still somewhat shocked that we're supporting TWO Nordstroms!

But, yeah, I guess we have a sizeable demographic that can support such businesses.

But then, the cost of living is much lower here. For $300,000 you can get QUITE a sizeable house in a great school district here versus what you can get on the West Coast or East Coast.

+ Reply to Thread