+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: Splash

Re: Splash

Quote Originally Posted by tbamom View Post
    Believe me when I say that I understand why Greg is a hero to Americans but to me he is just another example of sports heroes getting away with breaking rules (illegally competing in the 1988 Olympics by not disclosing his HIV status). I absolutely know what the political climate was around the disease in those days since I am old and was around so I can sympathise with his struggle, however I get tired of people who get held up as an icon because they are good at something and aren't held to the same standard of behaviour as the average Joe.
    To this day Olympic athletes are under no obligation to reveal their health status. Most are in agreement :it`s no ones business but their own. Interestingly, Dr.Puffer, the man who treated Gregs head injury, spoke to the New York Times, defendiung Louganis. DIVING - Doctor at Games Supports Louganis - NYTimes.com Very few people have ill-will towards Louganis. Not his fellow competitors at the time, not the doctor who treated him. If they are defending him why should any of us judge him differently? They were the people who would have been affected , not us. You are coming down pretty hard on Louganis and by extension those of us who respect him, not ot only as a diver, but as a person. So many young people have benefited from Gregs decision to speak publically about his diagnosis and his struggles with depression, suicide, abuse and addiction. Now the Olympic commitee has hired him to council divers, to help them cope with stresses and fears and life outside of the pool. I really don`t see any connection between this man and the morally corrupt icons such as Mark MgGuire, Lance Armstrong, Ben Johhnson, Jackie Joyner and so forth. They repeatedly cheated, lied and lied some more.
    Ellen, Florimel, Bearcata and 2 others like this.
    " I'm a Republican. I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by high barometric pressure, not gay marriage."- Will Macavoy The Newsroom

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    To this day Olympic athletes are under no obligation to reveal their health status. Most are in agreement :it`s no ones business but their own. Interestingly, Dr.Puffer, the man who treated Gregs head injury, spoke to the New York Times, defendiung Louganis. DIVING - Doctor at Games Supports Louganis - NYTimes.com Very few people have ill-will towards Louganis. Not his fellow competitors at the time, not the doctor who treated him. If they are defending him why should any of us judge him differently? They were the people who would have been affected , not us. You are coming down pretty hard on Louganis and by extension those of us who respect him, not ot only as a diver, but as a person. So many young people have benefited from Gregs decision to speak publically about his diagnosis and his struggles with depression, suicide, abuse and addiction. Now the Olympic commitee has hired him to council divers, to help them cope with stresses and fears and life outside of the pool. I really don`t see any connection between this man and the morally corrupt icons such as Mark MgGuire, Lance Armstrong, Ben Johhnson, Jackie Joyner and so forth. They repeatedly cheated, lied and lied some more.
    Didn't that happen at a time when most people were afraid (incorrectly and illogically)that they could catch HIV/AIDS just from being around a infected person?

No wonder he didn't tell. There was a terrible stigma attached to being HIV positive at that time.
    redsox girl and NEPASue like this.

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    In 1988 you didn't know that HIV wouldn't be spread in pool water. He took a risk (unfounded yes but a risk of omission) he also used fake names on prescriptions to smuggle his drugs into the country (these are illegal actions) I am not saying that you don't have the right to see him as a hero (your right) I just said I get tired of people holding sports heroes up as above the law (my right). I am not comparing him to a Lance Armstrong since the whole issue of AIDS awareness was so new at the time it is so understandable why he feared being open about his status and sexuality but he let a medical professional treat his injury without saying "hey you might want to grab a set of gloves". It doesn't take away his accomplishments and I am not robbing him of them by saying that being really good at something doesn't make it ok to be sneaky.

Orion, yes we didn't know all the facts about AIDS and HIV in those days which, to me makes his behaviour even more reprehensible.

Have you ever read stories about people being charged with attempted murder for knowingly exposing someone to their infected bodily fluids?
    Imperfect1 likes this.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Quote Originally Posted by tbamom View Post
    In 1988 you didn't know that HIV wouldn't be spread in pool water. He took a risk (unfounded yes but a risk of omission) he also used fake names on prescriptions to smuggle his drugs into the country (these are illegal actions) I am not saying that you don't have the right to see him as a hero (your right) I just said I get tired of people holding sports heroes up as above the law (my right). I am not comparing him to a Lance Armstrong since the whole issue of AIDS awareness was so new at the time it is so understandable why he feared being open about his status and sexuality but he let a medical professional treat his injury without saying "hey you might want to grab a set of gloves". It doesn't take away his accomplishments and I am not robbing him of them by saying that being really good at something doesn't make it ok to be sneaky. Actually, it was known in 1988 that aids could not be contracted through small amounts of blood dispersed in a large body of water (this would include an Olympic sized swimming pool). That some people did not know that then and still don't know it is a clear indication of the misinformation and assumptions that existed in 1988 and 2013. Mr. Louganis was caught in an extraordinary moment, under extreme pressure. He has clearly and consistently state, since 1995 that he should have told the attending physician about his status. Again, Dr.Puffer has always defended Mr.Louganis from attacks by the public. Attacks made on his behalf. Louganiss teammates have supported him. They are saying `judge someone else, Greg Louganis is not a monster, is not sneaky and he certainly isn't
    Orion, yes we didn't know all the facts about AIDS and HIV in those days which, to me makes his behavior even more reprehensible.

Have you ever read stories about people being charged with attempted murder for knowingly exposing someone to their infected bodily fluids?
    it was known in 1988 that aids could not be contracted through small amounts of blood dispersed in a large body of water (this would include an Olympic sized swimming pool). That some people did not know that then and still don't know it is a clear indication of the misinformation and assumptions that existed in 1988 and 2013. Mr. Louganis was caught in an extraordinary moment, under extreme pressure. He has clearly and consistently stated, since 1995, that he should have told the attending physician, Dr.Puffer, about his status. Mr. Louganis could have gone to his grave with his `secret`, avoiding judgment and scrutiny. No one the wiser. He chose , instead to contact Dr.Puffer and he chose to go public. Hardly the decisions of a reprehensible human being. Again, Dr.Puffer has supported/defended Greg Louganis since Louganis contacted him, since Louganis went public. So have Mr. Louganiss teammates. They have defended him from moral attacks on his character. They know him. They know and understand in a way strangers cannot know or comprehend. Ill take their character assessments of Greg Louganis over that of strangers. For those of us who enjoy diving and swimming , this thread is a good place to discuss out thoughts about the show. Whether its picking over each show or shared memories of our own diving experiences (or lack thereof). I respect Greg Louganis and nothing will change that. Anymore than my thoughts will change your opinion of Greg Louganis. Maybe we should just focus on the show.
    " I'm a Republican. I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by high barometric pressure, not gay marriage."- Will Macavoy The Newsroom

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I missed last night, but do not fault anyone from not diving from a high dive. I HAD to jump from a high dive in college as a course requirement. We were not properly instructed and I received two injuries from doing it. I was terrified, but forced myself to do it and suffered back pain for 12 months afterwards. It is serious stuff.

I'll have to catch this episode On Demand.
    Oh fear of heights like any phobia is no laughing matter, I totally agree with you. The thing with Kendra though is that her attitude was so off putting. I think people would be understanding if she chose to express her fear in ways that weren`t combative, disrespectful and overly dramatic.
    Ellen, Florimel and Shoepie like this.

My issue with Kendra is that she must have faced the height issue during practices. What about her phobia then? I also am phobic about heights and I can tell you, it is not something that can be turned on or off at will.
    Florimel, redsox girl and NEPASue like this.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

Kendras problem is she needs to get off reality/game shows and do something else in her life. She's pretty and funny..she should try acting.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Gala62 View Post
    My issue with Kendra is that she must have faced the height issue during practices. What about her phobia then? I also am phobic about heights and I can tell you, it is not something that can be turned on or off at will.
    Do we know if she even did the dives during practice? Maybe she didn't and maybe she also told the producers that she wouldn't do it and they said "Save it to make a big announcement and quit on the show."
    I can see reality producers arranging it that way for the most dramatic effect.
    Ellen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jenniferboston1 View Post
    Kendras problem is she needs to get off reality/game shows and do something else in her life. She's pretty and funny..she should try acting.
    I doubt she has the discipline for real acting.
    Florimel and Shoepie like this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

You just may have a point!

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    I doubt she has the discipline for real acting.

+ Reply to Thread