+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: Splash

Re: Splash

Probably the right outcome. Nicole did over rotate her dive significantly and landed on her back, but everything else about it was quite good. Rory did a better dive. He under rotated it slightly and his legs were sloppy and apart in his entrance, but he did complete a very difficult dive. I think Nicole came out of this a winner even with her second place finish. Her courage and her improvement were spectacular throughout the competition, IMO.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

She didn't over rotate you can clearly see she did two clean back flips and kicked out. She kicked out too late and landed on her back. If she had dived off the 10 meter board instead of the 7 meter board she would have gone in head first.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I might be a bit confused here. I thought Nicole's dive was a double, which means that she should have gone in feet first. A head first entry would be a two-and-a-half, so if she did that, it would still have been a missed dive. I'm not sure I remember correctly which dive she was doing.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I was interested to see that Nicole has a gymnastics background. I'm sure it's been a long time, but that explains a lot in terms of her being able to do the dives with such nice form. It's still a lot of work learning to learn them, no matter what, but I think having once known how to flip and twist and use muscles in that precise way must have helped.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I might be a bit confused here. I thought Nicole's dive was a double, which means that she should have gone in feet first. A head first entry would be a two-and-a-half, so if she did that, it would still have been a missed dive. I'm not sure I remember correctly which dive she was doing.
    That's what it looked like to me and she kicked out too late and that's why she landed on her back. She made sure her hands were about her head for a head entry vs when she used to do a foot entry and her hands would be by her side.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    That's what it looked like to me and she kicked out too late and that's why she landed on her back. She made sure her hands were about her head for a head entry vs when she used to do a foot entry and her hands would be by her side.
    My first thought when the dive was announced?
    Ummm -- why is she doing this at seven meters? Shouldn't it be ten?
    I'm kind of shocked that Coach Louganis let that one through.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011