+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: LA Shrinks (Bravo)

Re: LA Shrinks (Bravo)

Dr. Greg broke my heart last night. You can see the pain from his inner child that is still hurting from his childhood abuse. I could just kick his dad's butt. Honestly, the way his dad is still a jerk and cruel in his comments, make me wonder why he still wants him in his life, let alone his wedding. Some people are toxic and cause only pain. His dad may be one of those people who is just too painful to allow in your life. Dr. Greg, may need to move on without this mean man continuing to hurt him.
    holly71 and Imperfect1 like this.

I had the same reaction. Especially to the clip from the next show, where Greg is trying to confront his father about the abuse. Unless something radically different happens now-- he needs to get away from this father-- the man seems to be so destructive and so completely without any willingness even to remember what he did. Putting more of one's heart into trying to have some sort of mutual understanding- could be tragic. Clearly it's not just a matter of putting it behind you-- but some people just are too damaged themselves ever to open up.
    holly71 and Debb70 like this.

FORT Fan

I would have no confidence going to a 50 year old shrink who hasn't resolved his daddy issues. Yikes.
    Trust Me!

I think this show is revealing how everybody has their issues, even therapists. Just because Greg has the issues with his childhood abuse, doesn't mean that he can't help others. In fact, maybe he is more sensitive and intuitive about certain matters due to his background, IMO. He may be a good fit for some people seeking therapy.

I think Dr. V has many issues. In fact she was heavily medicated for years for mental illness, however, she is one of my favorites. I look forward to a show where she counsels the Beverly Hills Housewives.

Definitely they have issues! I remember when my best friends shrink committed suicide. They are human. I do love Dr. V!
    She'd like the bad a** of the group. lol

I do feel for Dr. Greg...but parents tend to forget their indiscretions.
    Jexter likes this.

I was shocked to see Dr. V relaxing in a bubble bath with a glass of wine and cigarette! I do see a lot of alcohol consumption on this show.

FORT Fogey

I love this show - and ALL 3 of the shrinks. Too tired to go on about therapy now, but at the end of the day, they are mere mortals....people trying the best way they know how to help other people.

I'd trust any of them any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

As to Dr. Greg....what I find fascinating is this. Greg's dad was an ass to the kids. So how is it that the kids (Greg and his sisters) turned out to be kind and compassionate rather than asses themselves?

When Greg's father revealed his own upbringing and broke down, we saw the cause. The fact that he cried and showed hurt tells me he knows right from wrong and this made its way to his own kids despite the abuse.

Somewhere in there is a decent man, a hurt man dealing with things in the way he knows how. I think Greg sees this and is pursuing this relationship with his father to subtly get his father the help he needs.

A secondary benefit is that he and his sisters might have a better relationship with him in the end.

I'll be curious to see how his story line ends up.

----------------------------------------

Dr. V: entertaining as hell, and the world needs more of her. I would love to watch a spin-off of her giving therapy to Kim and Kyle (they need someone like Dr. V)
    Dr. Greg: probably my favorite; I love his blank look when people say stupid stuff!
    Dr. Eris: I have a special fondness for Dr. Eris. I really like her way with her clients, and I like her personal story line. It's more relatable than Dr. V's and "mature" for lack of a better word (not sure how to say what I'm thinking)

This is my new favorite show.

I don't watch this show, but I happened to have it on as "background noise" yesterday.

I ended up sitting down & watching what was left of the episode (about 40 mins) ~ I saw the part where Dr. Greg (easy to remember, since he was the only male Dr. on there) was talking to his dad about the way he would beat him.

I have had a very similar convo with my own mother, with a therapist, and my mother's reaction was very similar to Greg's father. She claimed my memory was not correct, that she "spanked" me but she didn't "beat" me (and there was a lot of other disciplinary tactics that we discusssed, but I won't get into that here). Anyway, my therapist told my mother that "perception is reality", meaning, that regardless of what my mother thinks she did, in my mind, I was abused, & that was/is my reality. After several sessions, my mother finally apologized, but I really don't think she understands what she did to me. And to this day, my mother can be very nasty to me in a way that she never is with anyone else, & she's done it in front of other people at times. As warped as it sounds, it actually is validating to me when she does it because it shows everyone else that I'm not creating a false past. My mother is the one who is choosing to see it differently.
    Sorry for talking about this to y'all, but I can totally see where Dr. Greg is coming from & his father's reaction is not surprising.
    As mean as my mother can be to me, she is so good to so many people & would give anyone the shirt off her back, even me. When I'm sick or hurt, she's always there for me, & I WANT her to take care of me when I'm sick. It's weird, when I'm in any kind of vulnerable or crisis, she's great. It's the day to day times when she gets hateful with me.
    Sorry to dump all this! I think I need to go back for a few therapy sessions!!
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Holly71, It sounds like you have dealt with the issue that Greg has first hand. It's so great that you can share your feelings and that you had the courage to confront your mom in therapy. I respect that and admire your compassion. I do think that if a parent repeatedly, physically abused me and terrified me over the course of my childhood and then later denied it, I may not be able to deal with them. I think I would harbor too much resentment. No one knows how they would deal with it unless they have experienced it, though.

I do not like Greg's dad and I do not believe he has a different memory. I think he knows exactly what he did to Greg and his other kids and in fact, I think he is still a bully. IMO, he still bullies Greg with is attitude. Nothing about him seems sincere to me. I find his tears fake and his explanation insulting. Greg still wants to make his dad happy. It will never happen. His dad will see to that. I hope that an unbiased third party, such as the therapist Greg has found, is bold enough to be honest with Greg.

If Greg just wants to get through his wedding without a fight, then I guess that's possible. I'm still not sure why he wants to subject his sisters to his dad being there though.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Holly71, It sounds like you have dealt with the issue that Greg has first hand. It's so great that you can share your feelings and that you had the courage to confront your mom in therapy. I respect that and admire your compassion. I do think that if a parent repeatedly, physically abused me and terrified me over the course of my childhood and then later denied it, I may not be able to deal with them. I think I would harbor too much resentment. No one knows how they would deal with it unless they have experienced it, though.

I do not like Greg's dad and I do not believe he has a different memory. I think he knows exactly what he did to Greg and his other kids and in fact, I think he is still a bully. IMO, he still bullies Greg with is attitude. Nothing about him seems sincere to me. I find his tears fake and his explanation insulting. Greg still wants to make his dad happy. It will never happen. His dad will see to that. I hope that an unbiased third party, such as the therapist Greg has found, is bold enough to be honest with Greg.

If Greg just wants to get through his wedding without a fight, then I guess that's possible. I'm still not sure why he wants to subject his sisters to his dad being there though.
    I've done all I can do to make peace with my mother, but she picks fights with me for no reason & will shout me down (another of her favorite tactics ~ being loudest makes you right, not to mention, it's also like she's saying that what I have to say isn't important, it's very degrading) & I've learned to not even try to talk to her when she gets like that. And lately, I've had my fill of it. I have a lot of renewed resentment towards my mother due to some things that have happened recently. And now I'm starting to feel some towards my father for his failure to stand up to my mother for me, and also for himself. She bullies both of us in diffrent ways though. I didn't think of her in the term of "bully" till I read your post, but that is a true discription of my mother.

But still, I guess there's always this part of me and Dr. Greg, (of course this is based on only what I saw in half an episode & read this thread) 1). craves parental approval (whether consciously or subconsciously), no matter how old you are; 2). hold out hope that the parent will hopefully one day sincerely acknowledge what they've done.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast