+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: LA Shrinks (Bravo)

Re: LA Shrinks (Bravo)

Exactly. The therapist who wants a baby is begging for support from her husband. He is either NOT into her or he's playing this role for the tv show. I'm not sure which. OH, that tantric sex guide they used is really what she says. I saw her on a Showtime special once. It was documentary about her and this other guy who wrote this book about super wild, fullfilling sex on the next level. It showed her doing some pretty wild stuff. lol

The husband just strikes me as someone who has checked out. I hope she can get the truth.

I think I figured out what the male therapist's issue is. It's the abuse from his father. That's why his partner is a father figure to him. Notice how he asked the guy to help him with picking out his clothes. It's like his partner is replacing his dad. I wonder if he knows this. I guess it could work.

The other therapist with 4 kids is still my favorite. I see her stuff as the most staged though. I don't think they need that.
    Lizard and jenniferboston1 like this.

The therapist with the checked out husband--said that she does not want not authentic. If we were her therapist (and we are) we would say that is good that she does the verbal scribblies she needs to. But general population does not worry about her authenticity. The general population might be happy if she gets to be happy.

I know men are not that sensitive all the time. This guy might not want children with their financial and time requirements. That is o.k. for him to feel that way. He is the one that is not authentic. And he is not courageous enough to tell her. And I think she is spending too much time making excuses for him. She at some point in time would be very resentful if she allowed his wants to supersede hers. I do not see a match here.
    You can do it!

I don't see a match with that couple either. I wonder if it's an arranged thing. Could he be playing her husband for the tv show? He seems so totally checked out of their marriage. Do you recall how he reacted when she had the sex food for dinner? He acted like he wanted to bolt to the door, not enjoy the erotic meal. Weird. OH, from what they have shown them eating, maybe they need some protein. They must be vegan.

I've warmed up to Dr. V. It's great her to dad took the time to fly to LA from Philly to help with the boys. I had irish twins and my boys were a handful, but can't imagine four! LOL

I have to say I was surprised the couple showed the cameras their outfits from Hustler. Aren't they worried their kids will see that someday? EEK.

Regarding Dr. E and her husband, he did seem checked out, but didn't she say they both work like 16 hour days? I'd imagine if their going to have a baby, they would both have to cut their hours drastically and modify their lifestyle. Maybe the husband isn't ready for that. Even though she's 38, he probably sees himself as having another 30years to have kids.

It was sad that he didn't seem to appreciate any effort that Dr. E made with the special dinner, etc.

Did anyone watch the last epi? Dr. V's father is a riot!

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

I love that Dr. V and her dad are close, but I have to admit, their very 'graphic' conversations really make me uncomfortable --- and I'm not in any way a prude --- but there's just something about that kind of conversation that feels icky when it's between a father and a daughter. And when he was leering at her big breasts -- it reminded me very much of daddy Joe Simpson bragging about his daughter Jessica Simpson's "double D's." That's just. . . not ok!

I agree that there seems to be a boundary issue with Dr. V and her dad. Did anyone see Dr. V on Watch What's Happening Live with Andy Cohen last week? She was great, IMO. Andy liked her too and he even talked about getting her a show where she counsels Housewives!!!!!!!!! Great idea, IMO. (She was sort of doing that with Kyle from HW of Beverly Hills.)

On Andy, Dr. V said that her dad is married and has been for a very long time. I'm not sure where his wife is though. On the she Dr. V says her dad is living with her. Where's his wife?

I hope the male psychiatrist thinks long before marrying his partner. The partner was telling a friend how unattracted he was to him when he had gained some weight. If my partner was that way, I would be worried he would desert me if I became disfigured, ill or disabled. That would bother me. Now the doctor only feels he's good enough for his partner if he is thin.

FORT Fogey

This is my new favorite show.

Shrinks are just regular people trying to help other people. No more, no less.

I like that the show demonstrates how helpful they can be while simultaneously carrying the message that they themselves are human and have issues of their own.
    Imperfect1 likes this.

This is such a sweet show. The promos made it seem more like some of the sfatuous faux-reality shows like Silicon Valley and the one a few seasons back in Aspen--so I wasn't even going to try it. Then, after giving in and watching-- who can resist a show about shrinks?--I was iffy, after the talk of "men this-- women that" with a couple of the female therapists-- Plus there was a little too much sex therapy up front. Also I did admire the chutzpah? bravery? recklessness? of the couple who did the role playing---- I"ve warmed up, though, after seeing how caring the shrinks are to their patients. It's very touching really--

The really cool part is that they show therapists' real lives-- that they have some serious issues just lilke their patients. Also I love the way Dr Greg tells the audience how shrinks react to things patients say and do-- that they have normal feelings-- dislike, discomfort, and satisfaction-- just like everyone else-- and that normal human emotions don't disappear for the therapy hour-- they don't become all-compassionate saints, able to view their patients with unvarnished positive regard-- as some patients, and even some professionals like to pretend. I've had people tell me--"you're supposed to be able to say anything to your therapist"-- which I guess is true-- but you certainly shouldn't imagine that if you rabidly insult them for an hour, they aren't going to feel hurt and angry-- which I think some people imagine. Dr Greg I think said, it's about managing your emotions--using them to help the patient, rather than just reacting in an immediate and more uninhibited way.

I'm looking forward to seeing more-- I hope it follows through.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast