+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: The Face (Oxygen)

Re: The Face (Oxygen)

Quote Originally Posted by crzndeb View Post
    Here's an interesting fact...Lydia Hearst (redhead) is the daughter of Patty Hearst and Bernard Shaw. I didn't realize he recently passed away (Dec/2013).
    I knew she was a member of the Hearst family but had no idea she was Patty Hearst's daughter. Hmmm.... She resembles her mother.

Wasn't Patty Hearst's husband (and Lydia's father) once Patty's body guard?

I think the wrong team one the challenge. IMO, Lydia's team did a better job and should have won.

Also, I can't get over Naomi's bad temper. Wow!

Naomi is acting. She isn't nearly as fierce or mean as she'd like everybody to think she is. Lol. Now, this is not to say that she isn't a fairly nasty piece of work...she is very nasty in my opinion. But her arrogance is what makes her so nasty. I caught her saying something which didn't even make any sense...it was something to the effect that if Anne V. was going to be strategic in her choices, then Naomi was going to fight dirty too. It made absolutely no sense to what had just happened. It was when the first girl was sent home and Rae was saved the first time. Now if I'm not mistaken, Anne V. had hoped that Naomi would keep a girl who was a better model with more experience, one who "deserved" to stay over the other one. That was her hope. No strategies involved there, really. Just a hope Naomi would be fair. Instead, Naomi predictably sent home the more modelesque and experienced girl, and declared she knew how to play the game too (in so many words). Naomi was eliminating who she felt would be more competition for her girls, which is really what the game is for..you want your model to wind up as THE FACE. It's just bad scripting or seems that way to me. She only said what she did to appear to be a big badass.

I'm annoyed by this show. Every single time I tune into Oxygen on Wednesday to watch the "new" episode, I get a few hours of older episodes beginning with the first. Then, when I think the new episode will be shown, I get a movie on that channel or something else. No new episodes on Wednesday nights. Am I watching on the wrong night, or do they sneak in the new episodes at an earlier time slot? It doesn't make sense compared to the way these things usually work. Sometimes I think I must be losing my mind. But I never see the newest episode on the night I think it's supposed to be shown.

(eta) - does anybody know if Naomi is the model which Tyra Banks is always referring to when she speaks of a model who gave her a really bad time when she was something of a beginner? seems i heard some talk that Naomi used to have it in for Tyra but I'm not sure. I am curious about that.
    Last edited by lilymax; 03-27-2014 at 03:20 PM.

nobody seems very interested in this show and i can't say i'm surprised. it's pretty boring. last episode i saw, the girls had to make up a dance and shoot a commercial for a company which makes leather bags and such out of Germany. it was kind of stupid, most of them seemed very self conscious, and i didn't think anybody did really well. that girl (can't remember her name but has brunette curly hair and a mannish face) who won the prize doesn't look like she'd make a good model to me, but hey what do I know and the German lady? seemed to think she was the most "rebellious" looking. ho-hum.

i've already spotted who i think would make a good model for hair products, which is also presumably about the hair and not just THE FACE. isn't the whole thing about picking a new "face" for Frederic Fekkai who is apparently a famous stylist? i would be talking about Amanda (i think) who has that lovely long golden hair and a lovely young looking face. she has a young, sexy look which would probably work well for hair ads. but with our luck, they will wind up choosing somebody "with personality" (this means somebody who is a bit of a cocky pain in the rump). i can't deny that the girl with the short dark hair is really cute and seems like she could model, and will probably win if it's not a team Naomi girl who does. i don't think she's the best choice though for what she will be representing.

just my opinion . i think it's probably obvious by now that i don't like girls who are catty and mean or aggressive to others and i hate it when they win. sometimes i think the judges of these types of competitions just don't care at all what kind of people they promote or how they treat other people. it should matter.
    Last edited by lilymax; 04-06-2014 at 06:14 AM.
    Kip likes this.

The challenges so far have been more or less bizarre and impossible-- these women are models, not ad-agents who write ads, researchers who research the background and selling points of products, choreographers, dancers, etc etc etc. Why give them assignments where they have to do all these things that obviously 1/ they have no reason to know how to do and 2/ are beyond their capacities? I get that some of the runways are designed to trip them up, create death-defying hazards, and generally produce chills and excitement for the audience-- but why force them to do things that are going to look amateurish at best, and cringe-worthy at worst?

It's already weird that shows assign contestants to design and paint a wall of the Sistine Chapel in two hours, etc-- but why now should the models be jacks-of-all-trades? It says to me that the show isn't even vaguely serious about its stated objective-- ie finding a "face" for Frederick Fekkai. It says instead that the show is about saying Frederick Fekkai and "Naomi Campbell" as often as possible-- and giving ad advertising platform to other brands-- the jewelry line, the pocketbook makers, etc--

If Naomi truly just eliminates models to weaken the other teams-- wouldn't that be directly against the interest of the supposed goal-- ie finding the best model for this important international campaign? So how are we to believe that this show is on the level?

I don't know-- for me, none of the models stands out as interesting-- and none of them have really mastered the challenges at what I would think would be a professional level. As for Naomi's screaming and carrying on during the photo shoots-- since it undermines everyone's concentration and totally puts the spotlight on her-- again, it suggests that how the models perform doesn't matter-- and what does matter is giving air time to Naomi.

So I don't get this show at all. Despite which, I still seem to be watching it. Must be desperation-- there are so few shows I really enjoy, but I watch despite them.
    Kip, dzigner and lilymax like this.

I am so disinterested now that I totally forgot it was on last night. I agree that the outlandish contests and ridiculous tasks they set for the girls don't make sense from a professional perspective at all. And I don't find it entertaining, I would much rather see them doing normal (if mundane) things that models really do.

I couldn't believe the models were expected to run, full out, in those ten inch heels. Really??

At this point, I think Ray (or is it Rae?) is going to win. Just a gut feeling.

I evidently missed the last two episodes. I think Amanda is gone; if she is I don't care too much who wins. I think she was a very obvious choice for the job. Here's the thing: if I were Fekkai, I would think it was really strange to go through the whole hullabaloo of playing the games and letting the models pick the winner the way they do, especially if I saw a girl (or more than one girl!) who physically was a great choice for my company. I would not want to take a chance that the models (who are in this case TPTB) might pick a girl I didn't really like. For instance, had I wound up with Sharon (?) , that very masculine looking girl with the curly hair, I'd be really pissed! I do understand that Fekkai probably has a hand in choosing, but it just seems like a pretty strange way to pick my next model. I realize he gets lots of exposure, but still...I don't know. Just my random thoughts on the whole thing....
    tinderbox and Duckyface like this.

I haven't been watching consistently throughout the season, but I tuned in tonight for the last half of the finale. I'm THRILLED that Naomi's girl lost! I thought Tiana was the right choice, so I'm really glad she wasn't on Naomi's team.

I wonder if ANY models would be willing to sign up as judges next season, because surely Naomi wouldn't allow Anne or Lydia to come back. Really though, I don't care if there's a third season.

ETA: It was a double loss for Naomi. Her girl lost on the Australian version of the show this week.
    Last edited by Critical; 05-08-2014 at 04:59 AM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I looked for the show every Wednesday night and never saw it on. I just missed the entire finale and some of the prior episodes. It seems like they took it off for quite a long time before they had the finale. Do they even care about the show? I don't know how I could have missed it.

So Tiana won? Was she the petite girl with the short dark hair?

+ Reply to Thread