+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Pit Bulls and Parolees - Animal Planet

Re: Pit Bulls and Parolees - Animal Planet

Small dogs never really took off here. There was a heart beat of the chihuahua thing but that seemed to pass quickly here. Labs took off for hunting reasons. Every hunter wanted a lab to hunt with... except they have their own special behaviors that make them not that fun to have around a house sometimes. I like to kind of watch shelters see what the "in thing" is. Forever labs have been a fixture there. Then I noticed german shepherds and rottweilers were their next most abundant abandoned dogs here. Shepherds/shepherd mixes dropped off and then it became rotts/rott mixes and pit/pit mixes. Now it's transitioned almost solely to pit/pit mixes. But I also see a stank load of back yard breeding on them here too. Kind of like you see with labs. And there surges of little jack russel terriers. The little terriers I get because they're cute and you wouldn't expect all that terrier behavior to come out in spades in them and they can become a holy terror. And huskies will show up regularly but not in large groups. Kind of like they just catch the occasional runner of those.
    Punkin likes this.

My first ever dogs were grand dogs. My oldest son and DIL got two Rhodesian Ridgebacks! They are like small horses and are credited as the only dogs, in packs, who will take on lions. I am wary of all dogs, but these were particularly intimidating. They loved me! They would gallump up to me and express their happiness that I was there. Now my youngest son's family has a one year old Golden Lab and she wants to be my lap dog, to the amusement of all. I am being a really good sport, but love getting back home to my cats.
    beerbelly and causingchaos like this.
    Lynda

I grew up with Collies, German Shepherds and Boxers, so I am pretty comfortable with large breeds, but I try to be careful, especially with certain breeds, elderly dogs, dogs with medical conditions and dogs that have not been socialized.

I knew that Mariah and Marcel were married! I just had this feeling (and the fact that she has been wearing what looks like a wedding band...). But why did they want to keep it a secret? Kind of strange. I get wanting to go off and make it a private thing and not have an actual wedding, but going a year without telling anyone? And then trying so hard to keep her family - her mother! - from knowing? I don't get it. But I think they're a good couple.
    beerbelly likes this.

Does anyone know - are Tia and AJ still married? I'm watching a recent episode and she's sorting through a huge pile of mail, kind of overwhelmed by it, and then she casually says, "Maybe I'll find my next husband in this pile." And that's when I noticed that she's not wearing a wedding band. I thought she used to.
    beerbelly likes this.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    Small dogs never really took off here. There was a heart beat of the chihuahua thing but that seemed to pass quickly here. Labs took off for hunting reasons. Every hunter wanted a lab to hunt with... except they have their own special behaviors that make them not that fun to have around a house sometimes. I like to kind of watch shelters see what the "in thing" is. Forever labs have been a fixture there. Then I noticed german shepherds and rottweilers were their next most abundant abandoned dogs here. Shepherds/shepherd mixes dropped off and then it became rotts/rott mixes and pit/pit mixes. Now it's transitioned almost solely to pit/pit mixes. But I also see a stank load of back yard breeding on them here too. Kind of like you see with labs. And there surges of little jack russel terriers. The little terriers I get because they're cute and you wouldn't expect all that terrier behavior to come out in spades in them and they can become a holy terror. And huskies will show up regularly but not in large groups. Kind of like they just catch the occasional runner of those.

I wondered the same thing.

FORT Fogey

Statistically nationwide in municipal shelters, pitbulls are the most euthanized breed, and Chihuahuas are the second.

That's super sad. We suck. (Well, not us, but you know what I mean.)
    AlwaysVeg likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234