+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Pit Bulls and Parolees - Animal Planet

Re: Pit Bulls and Parolees - Animal Planet

I love this show! And I'm sort of afraid of dogs.
    beerbelly and Teri313 like this.
    Lynda

Awww Punkin!!!
    Punkin likes this.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

I think animal rescues are great and that the one on this show does an admiral job saving dogs, however, I really don't like how their dogs are housed in that big warehouse in New Orleans. The majority of those dogs are kept in those indoor pens for years. Even if they are able to walk them each once per day, it's not enough outdoor time, IMO. You can tell how the dogs handle on a leash when they are trying to adopt them out, that they aren't on leash much. It's such a shame. They now have a satellite location out in a rural area. I wish they would build a place to house many of their dogs that are being kept long term there, so they could have more outdoor time. They are saving the dog's lives, but IMO, the quality of life for a dog to be kept in a small indoor pen 24/7 for years is horrific. I don't see that as a good option.

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

It's not the dog, it's the owners,..
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I think animal rescues are great and that the one on this show does an admiral job saving dogs, however, I really don't like how their dogs are housed in that big warehouse in New Orleans. The majority of those dogs are kept in those indoor pens for years. Even if they are able to walk them each once per day, it's not enough outdoor time, IMO. You can tell how the dogs handle on a leash when they are trying to adopt them out, that they aren't on leash much. It's such a shame. They now have a satellite location out in a rural area. I wish they would build a place to house many of their dogs that are being kept long term there, so they could have more outdoor time. They are saving the dog's lives, but IMO, the quality of life for a dog to be kept in a small indoor pen 24/7 for years is horrific. I don't see that as a good option.
    I agree with this. It also creates more maladaptive behaviors making it difficult to rehome dogs. For example a dog used to messing in its living area (not a natural thing for a dog) can be problematic to house train and if you're someone who isn't particularly experienced with dogs and don't want to deal with this this can lead to an unsuccessful match and another abandonment. What I would like to see her do more than anything is cultivate foster homes. You see people supporting her left and right on here historically. I see people all over facebook that are all about her and her dogs. Spread the love around so these dogs can get some socialization, experience living in a house versus a cage etc. I feel for those dogs that are unadoptable with her. It's not their fault. It's not her fault. And they're just stuck in those cages forever.

I also wish (because I've dealt with this with my neighbors) that instead of indiscriminately adopting these dogs out (which she really doesn't do) that other places rehoming these dogs would make sure they're going to experienced owners. I like my tough large breed dogs. But I'm not going to lie some of these dogs are hard to handle and hard to train and take work. I watched my neighbors get a pit/pit mix from the shelter leave it unsocialized in the garage with a couple other aggressive dogs all the time. And guess what? They got themselves an aggressive dog that they never trained so when it ran loose daily it was biting and attacking every person and dog that walked by their house. It was their fault as owners that this happened but they, as inexperienced owners, should have never been given a dog that needs work like that.
    Debb70 likes this.

I like what she does in saving animals and actually, she now admits they save all breeds now. The need is so great that they are rescuing all dogs, not just Pits. I know there are some good Pit bulls, but I think they are a special breed that should only be homed with a trained owner who does not have children in the home.
    causingchaos likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I like what she does in saving animals and actually, she now admits they save all breeds now. The need is so great that they are rescuing all dogs, not just Pits. I know there are some good Pit bulls, but I think they are a special breed that should only be homed with a trained owner who does not have children in the home.
    Me too, Debb, I actually am scared of Pitbulls. Scared to death. But I like what she does rescuing animals/dogs.
    KAREN

I used to be very naive about certain breeds. Years ago, one of my best friends married a guy who had a large Pit bull. The dog was very well trained. He was almost human like in his behavior and reactions. He did everything her husband said. He was treated like a member of the family and had rules that he followed, but he didn't listen to my friend when her husband wasn't around. When her husband was out of town, I went over to help her walk that dog. He was very strong and we both struggled to walk him as he was used to running very fast. Her husband normally ran 3 miles with him everyday. We pulled on the leash, laughed at ourselves trying to control him, hung out with him eating, drinking, etc. I never thought about how vulnerable we were. Thankfully, he never did anything but act rambunctious.

A lot of training dogs is training people how to handle dogs. You can have a very well trained and well socialized dog but if you put it with a poor handler nothing good comes out of it. It's not even an aggression thing necessarily with bigger, stronger dogs like this. Like even a non-aggressive dog lets say you put a kid trying to walk it who isn't secure handling a dog and squirrel runs out and it's a dog prone to acting on prey drive. Nothing really good comes of that. Or you get a dog used to plowing into people as a greeting. No biggy (yet annoying) with a small breed dog but if my giant breed dog did that... could be broken bones. Nothing about aggression there just a size and strength thing.

I love me a stubborn dog that thinks for itself. But you really need to have a good skill set for handling them and I find that looking at that reality is completely lacking in a lot of places that rehome these dogs (hence the situation with my neighbor).

My argument for these particular types of dogs is that if people want to get rid of the breed discrimination they need to start attacking placing them in inappropriate homes. And attacking poor breeding practices with them. It's not the dog. But the places these dogs are put are not helping this argument at all. I've kind of seen the cracking down on owners when I was looking at malinois breeders and a breeder for another large breed dog who is known to be aggressive where I live. It was difficult to find a legit breeder who would give either of those dogs out to inexperienced handlers for a "pet." In larger areas I'm sure you see them all over the place but I don't see them filling up shelters around here like some of these other breeds in this area either. So there's something to be said for that.

Funny, but here on the SF Peninsula there is a glut of those little dogs like Paris Hilton used to cart around. My girlfriend whose husband died last year decided to get a small older dog to keep her company but when she went to the Peninsula Humane Society all they had were these little dogs (I don't know the breed) and they told her it was because of Paris Hilton dragging these dogs around as a fashion statement.

I happened to find for her, on Craig's list, that the northern county of Mendocino was bringing adoptable dogs to our local Pet Smart because our larger population had a bigger base for adoptions and my friend was in line before Pet Smart opened! When she got in the store she immediately found her "Tucker", a four year old mix with some Lhaso Apso, and she parked herself at his cage until they filled out the paperwork for them to be together. He is just perfect for her! Never barks! And he's so happy to have a forever home and Mom!!
    Lynda

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast