Closed Thread

Thread: What was the name of that sing/dance show competing with American Idol back in 2003?

FORT Newbie

What was the name of that sing/dance show competing with American Idol back in 2003?

Hi folks

I figure this is the place to ask this type of question.

Back in 2003 (I'm almost sure it was in 2003), back when American Idol was getting its footing, there was another reality singing show that happened for one season only, that was viewed as the major competitor to American Idol. A.I. won out, and has gone on to many additional seasons, whereas that other show, which was equally huge at the time, was one-and-done.

I recall that show, however, was a contest of not just singing, but the entire performance package, which meant dancing. I remember the winner winning a guaranteed album with a major producer. The winner was an asian male, and the runner-up was a blond female. I recall watching the finale.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I know this show existed, but I can't remember its name, and it didn't go into a 2nd season (though at the time I was surprised by this, cause the show seemed to have gravitas, in the same way A.I. did). The show was named "Superstar" or something like that, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

Re: What was the name of that sing/dance show competing with American Idol back in 20

I think you're talking about "Fame"... cause the girl that was the runner up ended up being in the girl band Danity Kane.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Re: What was the name of that sing/dance show competing with American Idol back in 20

Or are you talking about the remake of Star Search, hosted by Arsenio Hall. I loved that show, by the way!!! The talent was great, the judges were great, and Arsenio Hall was the absolute best!

What was the name of that sing/dance show competing with American Idol back in 2003?

The show was called Fame and I went to almost all the tapings. The winner was Harlemm Lee and Tyce from SYTYCD was also a contestant on the show. That is the show that brought me to this board.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

FORT Newbie

Fame - that's the one. For the life of me, I couldn't remember the name.

Just read it up on Wiki - didn't realize it had so much controversy.

Fame (2003 TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Closed Thread