+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: The Taste (ABC Tuesday 8 P.M.)

Re: The Taste (ABC Tuesday 8 P.M.)

I watched it online, where a) it was much shorter because there are fewer commercials and b) I didn't have to pay as close attention ;-) I'll probably continue to watch it online.

Dvr'd the show but haven't made time to watch it yet. From reading the other comments, I don't know how I'm going to feel yet since I'm not a fan of the Voice. I do love my cooking competition shows though, so we shall see.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

Hahaha I'm checking this out now. Looks like someone got their inspiration from The Voice.
    Last edited by JohnnyK; 01-24-2013 at 05:54 PM. Reason: nevermind
    biggbaddgirl likes this.

Does anyone else think Anthony sounds like Ted Allen?

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    Does anyone else think Anthony sounds like Ted Allen?
    Yes!!!! My husband put the show on, and I was sitting working on my computer where I couldn't see the screen. I thought it was Ted Allen talking.
    JohnnyK likes this.

I tuned in to this show because I love The Voice. I'm not sure if I'll come back next week, though. I'm really tired of seeing them reject people. I mean, why didn't they make it truly like The Voice and have the judges load up with chefs, and then eliminate some to get a final team? This business of only allowing them to pick their final team in the auditions virtually guarantees that the judges will be biased towards later contestants. That's so unfair towards all the perfectly good chefs who appear before then. And yeah, like others said, it got really old hearing the judges say, "Oh! I was so stupid for not picking you!" Uh, yes, you were.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Yeah four per team is too few. So the judging will probably be really strict throughout the auditions, especially early on.

At first I thought the judges were going to be blindfolded while tasting the food (it might work afterall, since they use those spoons).

I'm looking forward to the Battle Rounds.

Not sure how I feel about this one. Way, way too many rejections, the show felt too long. Not sure on Ludo and on Malarkey (great name, though). I absolutely despise Bourdain, but I adore Nigella, I was happy whenever she encouraged contestants to be proud to say they're home cooks.

I remember Diane Dimeo, the woman who Bourdain chose for his team. She appeared in Chopped and won, then returned for the championship and got eliminated in round 2, due to completely forgetting to add one of the mandatory ingredients, made more ironic when the judges tasted her dish and considered it to be flawless, but she still left an ingredient out. She was fairly nice back then, but wow did she take a level in jerk, I really disliked her attitude here.
    TripleGemini likes this.

The Taste (ABC Tuesday 8 P.M.)

That's interesting about Diane Dimeo. I don't remember seeing her on Chopped. Hope I can catch her episode on a repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
    Not sure how I feel about this one. Way, way too many rejections, the show felt too long. Not sure on Ludo and on Malarkey (great name, though). I absolutely despise Bourdain, but I adore Nigella, I was happy whenever she encouraged contestants to be proud to say they're home cooks.

Thank you. I'm on the fence about Nigella, I like Malarkey and Ludo (especially the latter), but I can't stand Bourdain. I hated the way he dismissed that Jewish lady. "I'm sorry, I'm a traditionalist." I thought when you got to be a fancy-schmancy chef you were supposed to reject traditional food and come up with weird combinations? I thought that set you apart from the masses like us who just prefer good comfort food. And it was irritating to hear him dismiss her because of one ingredient. Earlier some judge, after picking the contestant, said something like, "That one ingredient was too strong, but we can work on that." And you can't, Bourdain? All of the judges are too nitpicky, but Bourdain comes across as the worst.

I admit I'm biased, though. I thought I had grown cynical about these shows, but they hooked me with the sob story of her about to get thrown out of her house. I felt so sorry for her to be summarily dismissed like that. OTOH, I do like that aspect of the show, where the judges don't know the contestants when they eat the food. I'm really glad talent shows are getting away from the AI "tell the judge a sob story and get through" model. Now I just wish they would stop doing that to the audience.

I used to live in England, and Nigella is everywhere there. She's kind of like the female Gordon Ramsay. Never heard of the other two, but I love Ludo's accent. (Don't tell my British husband, though. He would be shocked--shocked!--to hear me praise a Frenchman. )

I think I'll take a break and come back after the auditions. I'm getting too wound up by all this, but I still like the premise of the show.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

+ Reply to Thread