+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: The Taste (ABC Tuesday 8 P.M.)

The Taste (ABC Tuesday 8 P.M.)

Not sure I liked it. I may give it another chance. It seems like there were a bunch of rejections because they were afraid to choose too soon. I hate that. We see that some judges wished they'd chosen certain people. Maybe they should've had them choose more than they needed and then pared back later.
    Florimel and Hyper like this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: The Taste (ABC Tuesday 8 P.M.)

I got the sense a couple of times ("I hate that I didn't choose you") that their vote would have been different if they'd actually met the contestant first. Why else would you so immediately have voted "no" after tasting something, then regret it? It was fun watching the arrogant fall on several occasions. But I can't believe that mashed potatoes and cabbage made it through when some of the more unique things didn't.
    cablejockey and Babbred like this.

They have a good mix of contestants. The humble, the arrogant, the needy. Lots of types to root for and several to boo at.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I'm already tired of the judges saying they made a mistake not picking someone. No, you didn't. Be honest. You didn't think their food was all that and now you're pulling a Paula Abdul to make the contestants feel good about themselves even though you didn't think they were good enough to be on your team. Personally, I'm more in favor of the "mean" judges, like Simon Cowell and Gordon Ramsay, who don't beat around the bush and tell contestants exactly what they think. It's better to tell the people why you didn't pick them so they can work on specific issues and get better than to give them a feel-good speech, saying "It's not you, it's me. I was an idiot not to pick you".

Anthony Bourdain is the only judge I was familiar with. I was surprised the contestants knew who the other judges were. I watch a lot of shows on Food Network but I don't remember hearing about Nigella before. I just looked her up on Wikipedia and I still have no clue who she is. I don't think I've seen her before on any of the shows I've watched.
    Last edited by pikachu; 01-23-2013 at 09:12 AM.
    Current Pools: Face Off 7, Project Runway 13
    New Pools: DWTS 19, Registration deadline: September 22nd, Survivor 29, Registration deadline: October 1st,
    Amazing Race 25, Registration deadline: October 3rd

Well! Up here in Canada, my DVR only recorded one hour (part 1 as it was listed) so I missed the second hour! Perhaps they will air it tonight. Humph.

I kind of liked it. The only judge I was not familiar with was the guy sitting beside Bourdain. I love AB, so I'll watch pretty much anything he's on. Nigella is lovely, but it was a little frustrating watching her hold back from someone she probably should have chosen, because as she said, she knew there were so many more to come. That implies that towards the end they will just take what they can get, rather than choosing the best.

Ludo was on TCM and I vividly remember him swearing up a storm and p***** off the other chefs. He was hilarious, and kind of cringe-worthy at the same time. Very arrogant, but a creative and intense chef. It will be interesting to see how he is as a mentor. Nigella is obviously the soft one.

I did enjoy the little montage of the professional chefs being rejected. Didn't like the 'waiters' with their skin-tight black dresses, delivering the food. Seemed cheesy. I do love the idea, though, that they could eliminate someone from their own teams.

The spoons were far too big - half the time Nigella was struggling to get it all in her mouth. I love her, she is my crush, and has been for years. My Aunt won a competition and met her. They had pots of tea and cream cakes, my aunt eats with the same gusto Nigella does.

Some of the cooks were really OTT with their concoctions. But the potato and cabbage lady, hmm.

Loved the whole two hours. Sweetpea I think CTV is showing part 2 tonight I watched it all on ABC.

I enjoyed all the judges, all very different.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

It looks like they did pull the concept from The Voice; but unlike The Voice, the blind tasting will continue through the mentoring rounds. It is so different from the Food Network competition shows that I've seen that I think it will pull in a wider audience - those without access to the Food Network or cable television.

All I can say about the first part of the auditions is...Home Cooks Rule!
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    It looks like they did pull the concept from The Voice; but unlike The Voice, the blind tasting will continue through the mentoring rounds. It is so different from the Food Network competition shows that I've seen that I think it will pull in a wider audience - those without access to the Food Network or cable television.

All I can say about the first part of the auditions is...Home Cooks Rule!
    Yes, I thought the same as you Arielflies. This is just like the Voice

sweetpea my daughter in law said this show was on for two hours on CTV. Not sure if that is right or not
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I like the idea that taste should be the focus and not necessarily the looks - at least initially. That said, I don't like judges saying "I'd kept you if I knew you" because that's taking focus away from the theme of the show.

And - I do think that they should be specific as to what they must present even here: I would say mashed potatoes and cabbage as a bite is a little too plain (even if it tasted fantastic) compared to many of the fancier and multiple ingredient (even if it's to make chocolate cake) dishes. They should do a protein (i.e. beef, chicken or fish - I'd steer away from shellfish due to potential allergic reactions), a veggie or dessert, but all the same.

Perhaps, after auditions, there will be themes so there can be a comparison - such as a savory protein or a dessert. For auditions, the contestants create dishes they think they can do well and hope for the best.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread