+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021 LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: The Taste (ABC Tuesday 8 P.M.)

Re: The Taste (ABC Tuesday 8 P.M.)

I am so enjoying this show! My current favourite. I have said it before but I just adore all four chef judges. I also have liked all the guest judges - that blonde pastry chef made me laugh. I thought the only thing she was missing was a jump rope.

I am no chef but I usually don't eat desserts (except dark chocolate) and I absolutely hate baking. My 5th-grader bakes more often than I do. Shellie's cheddar twirl or whatever they called it with the apple cream filling was the only thing that sounded good to me, even though it was the losing dessert. I do like a sweet/savory combination of flavours, but I don't see many of them in desserts.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Ludo's not my favorite, but I loved how he talked about desserts. It does seem to be a trend for American chefs to disparage "too sweet". Ludo said of course he liked sweet things - He's French! I also liked when he pointed out that he had not just taken pastery classes, but had the degree - unlike the one who couldn't be bothered (Jeff?) to even take the final exam because he hates desserts.

The hating desserts thing bothers me less with Anthony, maybe because he hates vegetarian meals just as passionately. For him it seems to be a personal preference thing, rather than a disparagement. He knows what he likes and doesn't hesitate to say it - loudly!

Marina's dish didn't sound great to me, but she said it was a delicacy somewhere else. Perhaps with the panel of judges having traveled so much that opened them up to a flavor that I wouldn't think would be good. I'm a picky eater, so half of the "normal" stuff they show I wouldn't like.

I thought the one's (Jeff? - again I don't know the names!) reaction. It seemed OTT.
    Florimel and Moontat like this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I think if Jeff(?) had done something daring instead of something traditional (yet delicious), and he'd gotten a gold star for being creative . . . he'd be singing a different tune. He's just mad because he didn't do anything creative.

I don't really enjoy Jeff on the show; he seems to think the world of himself, even when what he puts up isn't all that great, and he seems to not get that.

Regarding Marina's dish, I'm not sure why people seem to hate it; I've never had it before, and I certainly didn't taste it, but it's something I wouldn't mind trying. Maybe it's a cultural thing.
    Florimel likes this.
    Revenge is ice cream.

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz View Post
    Ludo's not my favorite, but I loved how he talked about desserts. It does seem to be a trend for American chefs to disparage "too sweet". Ludo said of course he liked sweet things - He's French! I also liked when he pointed out that he had not just taken pastery classes, but had the degree - unlike the one who couldn't be bothered (Jeff?) to even take the final exam because he hates desserts.

The hating desserts thing bothers me less with Anthony, maybe because he hates vegetarian meals just as passionately. For him it seems to be a personal preference thing, rather than a disparagement. He knows what he likes and doesn't hesitate to say it - loudly!

Marina's dish didn't sound great to me, but she said it was a delicacy somewhere else. Perhaps with the panel of judges having traveled so much that opened them up to a flavor that I wouldn't think would be good. I'm a picky eater, so half of the "normal" stuff they show I wouldn't like.

I thought the one's (Jeff? - again I don't know the names!) reaction. It seemed OTT.
    I really don't like Ludp at all, but it's clear that he's an excellent chef. I do like that he doesn't disparage sweets and I also agree that it's just a taste preference for Anthony rather than the put down I hear from too many chefs. He likes to eat what he likes to eat just as we all do and I have a hard time respecting their opinions if they don't respect others who differ. Just say some flavors aren't your taste and leave it at that.
    Moontat likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Been watching the UK version of The Taste (couldn't find a thread for it) and didn't want to start one; I'm completely flabbergasted that the guest judge couldn't identify a mole or a cornmeal pancake. It does make me suspect the judge's credentials when they can't do that.
    Revenge is ice cream.

Can't get over Lee's arrogance! However, I think the right person went home...sadly.

I rooting for either of the women, slight preference for Louise.

As good a chef as he is, I cannot stand Ludo. His rudeness to not only the other judges, but to all the contestants makes me cringe. Not for the first time last night did I watch his antics think, "storm trooper,and waited for someone to shout, "Sig heil!"

Jeff and Lee are both way too smug and so was Sarah. I wasn't sorry to see her go.

I'm rooting for Marina. I think she's a good cook, makes interesting dishes, and is being constantly being put down by the others for a home cook. I loved Nigella saying that it does not make her inferior and she's proved that she isn't.
    tapper01 likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I do actually prefer Marina but I think she'll lose out because she's perceived as not consistently meeting the goal of the challenge. And I think she made the finals in large part so the mentors could say they let a home cook make it that far.

+ Reply to Thread