+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021 LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: The Taste (ABC Tuesday 8 P.M.)

Re: The Taste (ABC Tuesday 8 P.M.)

I had to laugh at Jacquelyn's comment that "I'm a vegetarian who eats meat." Um...no. If you eat meat, you're not a vegetarian.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    I had to laugh at Jacquelyn's comment that "I'm a vegetarian who eats meat." Um...no. If you eat meat, you're not a vegetarian.
    Right! You're an omnivore, like most of us.

Frankly, I'm glad she walked out and thus saved the two who are really trying. I think she heard the guest chef's comments, didn't understand what he was getting at or that she would come in second, and decided to leave when she thought she would be sent home. Jacqueline was never willing to take any advice from day one. Neither were at least two others from Nigella's team. I think Nigella's problem is that she does not know how to select cooks for her team who will listen to her.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I think Nigella's problem is that she does not know how to select cooks for her team who will listen to her.
    I thought they didn't meet the applicants until they had decided whether to vie for them based on The Taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    I thought they didn't meet the applicants until they had decided whether to vie for them based on The Taste.
    You're probably right. What I thought I remembered was that they taste the food first, then the applicants come out and they talk briefly before offering them a spot on the teams. Could be totally wrong about that.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I think when the contestants come out they reveal the vote they already made. Occasionally there are comments of, gee, I wish I hadn't voted "no", I'll probably regret it. Negotiations ensued when more than one judge liked the food. I don't recall if any of the other judges liked the cooks Nigella ended up with.
    TripleGemini likes this.

Yeah, Jacqueline walked when she thought she was going to lose - a preemptive strike, if you will. Too bad for her, a sigh of relief from me as all the others really want to be there and to be mentored.

Oh, Spam (the Hawaiian steak) was featured in a Top Chef challenge this week. I laughed because it was featured on this show as well. My father's favorite lunch food is once again climbing out of ICK territory. He loved his fried spam sandwiches.
    Florimel likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Yeah, Jacqueline walked when she thought she was going to lose - a preemptive strike, if you will. Too bad for her, a sigh of relief from me as all the others really want to be there and to be mentored.....
    Jacqueline bolted because she thought she was going to lose and, I think, because she couldn't tolerate another moment of Nigella's hovering and commenting on her every move. There is no way Jacqueline was there to learn a thing because she seemed to think she knew it all before she arrived. We all know, she had A LOT to learn. However, in that pressure cooker of a situation I did feel for Jacqueline. She completely lost it...especially when she attacked the can with a knife. heh heh heh

I think she grabbed a wine bottle on her way off the set.
    Last edited by tinderbox; 02-01-2014 at 12:13 PM.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

I'd like to see Shehu as one of the two leaving next week. After three red stars two weeks and possibly going home this week as well, I think it's his time.

Ludo's sugar rush was fun. Marcus' wardrobe continues to amaze me (not really in a good way, LOL).

Next week's theme is beer. Bourdain should welcome the barrage of meaty tastes likely to be produced, he's clearly withering away from lack of mutton and beef.
    Arielflies and Moontat like this.

Is it some kind of trend for chefs to disparage desserts?

I also watch Chopped and very often during the final round, someone will do a dessert with little to no sweetener.

Thank goodness for Nigella and yes, Ludo!

I was very happy to see Jeff win a gold star. That mess Marina made? (shudders)
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

+ Reply to Thread