+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Joe Schmo returns to Spike

Joe Schmo returns to Spike

Well, I had admittedly wondered if they would do this show again because the second season did have one of the two contestants figure it out that the show was fake.

Still - waiting at least two years has apparently helped out because they've brought it back, and it looks like they got their mark quite well on who is being duped.

Joe Schmo returns tomorrow (Jan. 8) at 10 p.m./9 CST on Spike.

Me? - I think it'll be interesting and fun to see if the guy knows and plays along, calls them out on it or is genuinely duped.

FORT Fogey

Re: Joe Schmo returns to Spike

It has been more than two years since they first did it, hasn't it? If I remember correctly, that show was one of the first things Kristen Wiig ever did - I thought she did it before SNL.

I never watched the first 2 seasons but have since become a fan of Ralph Garman (the host) so I will be giving this a try this year. Yes I remember Ralph saying Kristen had been on it, and a guy that is now popular too. Cant think of the name right off the top of my head but when I remember Ill post.
    The premise sounds funny to me, we shall see I guess.
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

From the DTV guide it looks like they are conning the guy into thinking it's to be a real bounty hunter ...
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

I was able to see the first season, which was something like "Rich and Famous" or something and was more of a parody of Survivor and Big Brother done in a mansion. The second season was based on "Bachelor and Bachelorette" and had two people in it. I didn't get to see that season but the guy didn't know it was real while the woman figured out and after they admitted to her in private she was right asked if she'd continue with the ruse, and in the end she did win whatever she earned prior to her finding out.

The first season's elimination was quite funny - they had plates with their face on them and the one eliminated had it smashed in a fire. One contestant who was "eliminated' but got to come back even had his plate taped together afterward.

In both, the person won whatever real prizes they were giving away in the show - including the top prize - and even if someone else had "won" the prize. Matt in the first season was very funny as were the "Contestants."

This season though from what I've seen in the promos it will be a challenge for the cast themselves not to blow the secret. That is actually quite fun to me when that happens but the Schmo still continues with it.

Watched the two part series premier and will say a few things:

1. Chase seems like a nice guy - but seriously a HUGE RED FLAG should've come to his head that no one is going to do a show to become a bounty hunter. I mean, why (besides Dog the Bounty Hunter) do you go and risk showing your identity in public on a reality show?

2. If they were going to have a deaf girl in this show, they could've found a deaf actress or even a deaf young lady who could've played this part. Some of the signs too didn't seem like real ones either (though no I do not know ALS). She is going to be the red button that could alert Chase to the truth.

3. I think Lorenzo Lamas should've been in there a little bit longer honestly. He also still looks pretty good for someone who was on a nighttime soap in the '80s (Falcon Crest). In fact when he pranced around in the Speedo, if I were in the show I'd probably be singing the theme instead of thinking of Renegade (which honestly I forgot he was in that and remembered "FC" more - and I watched both).

4. Lady Liberty voting booth should've been another HUGE key that something here was way off. NO SHOW I know of in reality tv has something so relatively vulgar and absurd.

5. The host still rocks, and plays off just about everything with ease - especially with the cauldron breaking. I agree with him - they should've tested it as some concrete is NOT suited for heat - any heat.

Overall not a bad start, but I do wonder if they'll manage to pull this off. This group is NOT on a good start.
    mom2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    The first season's elimination was quite funny - they had plates with their face on them and the one eliminated had it smashed in a fire. One contestant who was "eliminated' but got to come back even had his plate taped together afterward.
    I remember that. I laughed out loud. It was also funny in the second season when the men were supposed to give the women pearl necklaces as part of the elimination ritual. The Schmo was stifling a laugh and looking around to see if any of the other contestants found it funny. It sounds as if the bawdy humor is back this season.

Ralph Garmin is so different this time around. I didn't know he had that much range.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Caught the first eps on demand last night...I was laughing so hard. Looking forward to following this show. I absolutely love Ralph Garman. If you like Hollywood "news" and are into podcasts, try out Hollywood Babble-On that he does with director/writer Kevin Smith. They talk about the latest hollywood "news", Ralph does ALOT of celebrity impressions that are dead on. Be warned tho, their convos can get kinda dirty sometimes
    I also noticed I have Season 2 I can watch on demand, so I will probably be doing that this weekend. Yay!
    Punkin likes this.
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

FORT Fogey

I love this show! This is the first season I have seen. What happened in the first 2 as far as the Schmo figuring it out? It is so over the top, it is hard to believe he doesn't see this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I love this show! This is the first season I have seen. What happened in the first 2 as far as the Schmo figuring it out? It is so over the top, it is hard to believe he doesn't see this.
    In season 1 I remember the Joe Schmo freaking out and he says "What is going on?" It has become one of our families favorite catch phrases over the years. (along with yelling WALT! WALLLTTT!! like the guy on Lost)

We LOVE this show! The music! The ASL interpreter! The "roles" of the other contestents! Lady Liberty! So over the top funny, we all laughed the entire first 2 episodes.
    Punkin, AmyKay and Shoepie like this.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast