+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Joe Schmo returns to Spike

FORT Fogey

Re: Joe Schmo returns to Spike

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality View Post
    In season 1 I remember the Joe Schmo freaking out and he says "What is going on?" It has become one of our families favorite catch phrases over the years. (along with yelling WALT! WALLLTTT!! like the guy on Lost)

We LOVE this show! The music! The ASL interpreter! The "roles" of the other contestents! Lady Liberty! So over the top funny, we all laughed the entire first 2 episodes.
    I love the catch phrase you all use! I love this show.

I would like to know what happens when the schmo uncovers the truth. They would have to end the show.

The ASL interpreter is hysterical. It is so bogus that is Schmo would pay the sightest attention to him he would know.

2. If they were going to have a deaf girl in this show, they could've found a deaf actress or even a deaf young lady who could've played this part. Some of the signs too didn't seem like real ones either (though no I do not know ALS). She is going to be the red button that could alert Chase to the truth
    The point is to have situations where the "deaf" girl is paired with him, as we have seen already. It is to create horror if your longevity rests on her ability to understand you.

She is going to blow it with the champagne cork and her responding to Joe when doing her hand stand push ups. Part of the fun is seeing the cast make mistakes.
    Last edited by Shoepie; 01-14-2013 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I would like to know what happens when the schmo uncovers the truth. They would have to end the show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I love this show! This is the first season I have seen. What happened in the first 2 as far as the Schmo figuring it out? It is so over the top, it is hard to believe he doesn't see this.
    First season Matt (the original Joe) didn't find out until the end. He did come close though, but the contestants were rather good.

The second though - it DID happen.

However, it was when they had TWO schmos - a male and a female - compete. (story line a parody of "The Bachelor(ette)." She figured it out, so what happened was production took her for a "personal interview" told the truth so as to not ruin it entirely by having the male Schmo find out, and asked for her help. She said yes, and then they continued on. She did a good job keeping it a secret still, and she did win whatever prizes were won while she wasn't in the know (here a trip).

So, my opinion is they need TWO contestants who aren't in the know to ensure an entire season, especially when they have contestants who are not good actors and keep blowing their cover.
    Shoepie likes this.

It seems to me that if the Joe has any smidgeon of intelligence, he would keep it to himself if her does figure it out. He can show confusion or suspicion, but it he admits to knowing it's fake, the show would probably have to send early and it would probably cut in to any money earned. They must have a contingency plan in place unless it's all at least partially fake regarding what the Joe is told to do.
    Shoepie likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    It seems to me that if the Joe has any smidgeon of intelligence, he would keep it to himself if her does figure it out. He can show confusion or suspicion, but it he admits to knowing it's fake, the show would probably have to send early and it would probably cut in to any money earned. They must have a contingency plan in place unless it's all at least partially fake regarding what the Joe is told to do.
    I'm going to be fair - if I was a Jane Schmo there and I figured it out, I'd screw with their minds and keep it real at the same time. If I could keep them hopping around trying to save things, then it'd really be fun.

To a point - I DO wonder if our new guy knows something already and will just mess with them for a time.
    mom2 likes this.

FORT Fogey

It appears Chase believes things are legit for now. I feel badly for him because he really wants to be a bounty hunter!

I hope he figures it out and plays along. The "deaf" girl is going to blow it, as we saw in a preview. Hard to know how far down the line that will be though.
    AmyKay likes this.

I am loving this show, literally laughed out loud many times at things last night. It seems like Chase is such a good hearted guy. I hope he doesnt figure it out.

"My beaver just peed!"
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

I know only the basics of American sign language, but it's so obvious to me that the gestures her supposed interpreter makes are not even close.

I think that Allison, the doctor, got whatever background information she has on college and med school from Doogie Howser. I would have guessed that as an actress she would have done at list a bit of research on her character's background. Or, even devised a fictional background for her. Most actors prepare that way.
    Shoepie likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I know only the basics of American sign language, but it's so obvious to me that the gestures her supposed interpreter makes are not even close.

I think that Allison, the doctor, got whatever background information she has on college and med school from Doogie Howser. I would have guessed that as an actress she would have done at list a bit of research on her character's background. Or, even devised a fictional background for her. Most actors prepare that way.
    Yep. The actors have to be on the ball about who they are supposed to be. That surprised me. It tends to make me think this show is slapped together.

I am hoping Chase will start to put things together soon. I would love, love, love him to figure it out and play along. He has had 2 major alerts so far. Medical student not know her history and the champagne cord registering on the deaf girl in a way that no "hearing" person did! AND the cast reaction to this.

We see him discovering the "deaf girl" heard him and responded in her normal voice.

I honestly think they should've had it where the deaf contestant was eliminated first - ESPECIALLY after the cork screwup, and kept Lamas in longer. They could've handled the decision to keep Lamas in the game a lot better than risk exposure that the show is faked. (as in "We eliminated the young lady because you need your ears to hear cars and other traffic which you have to run through chasing the jumpers.")

Then again - Lamas may have oddly had a scheduling conflict so they had to eliminate him quickly.

I am also surprised that they didn't get the deaf girl out early. She's almost blown it more than once, so get her out.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast