+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By AJane
  • 1 Post By mom2
  • 1 Post By mesachick

Thread: Cheer Perfection

Cheer Perfection

And you thought the Dance Moms mothers were crazy!

My daughter wanted to watch because she was honestly curious about the kids' training techniques and their skill level (she is in a very competitive sport that involves dance techniques and athletic ability, but "cheer" is pretty foreign to us). I will say that we see considerably more cheer activity in this show than we see actual dancing in Dance Moms. (After all, it's not "Cheer Moms"). Unfortunately, there's still waaaaaaaay too much parental involvement, and it's all ugly. I simply cannot understand parents who insert themselves into their child's activities to such an excessive degree. One cheer mom said she doesn't see anything wrong with living through her daughter.

I never miss my own daughter's competitions or test days, and I am involved with the club's parent council as it's very difficult to get volunteers, but I rarely watch her train. It's her life, her passion, and I support it but I don't direct or manage it - I leave that to her coaches. Plus, she spends hours and hours every week training, and I have another child, a husband, a job, and my own stuff. How do these women spend so much time planted on their rears being spectators and gossips?

Anyway - cheer mom Ann is a vicious, vindictive, controlling gossip that could give Mrs. Honey Boo-Boo or any of the Dance Moms/T&T crowd a run for their money. Don't have much good to say about the rest of them, either. The coach, Alisha, is...frazzled? Not the solid presence I would look for in a coach - Abby Lee Miller has her beat there. The kids are very young, the oldest being 11 (from what we saw). Many of them have great ability but not the drive I see in the Dance Moms kids. Then again, I don't know if cheer is a means to an end the way dance is, though I have no idea what kind of qualifications one would need to be a member of a professional cheer team.

I enjoyed the kids' routines, though and was really in awe of their gymnastics skills. My daughter liked it overall but said she could have done without so much mama drama.
    sparklete likes this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Re: Cheer Perfection

Wow. I saw them first on Toddlers and Tiaras. I recognized the coach and her daughter, and Ann and her daughter. I think there was one more from that gym but I can't remember who it was.

Something has to be wrong with Ann. Who revels in crashing a surprise birthday party when you know you aren't wanted? No shame.

The other moms could have shown class when that happened, but this is reality tv and that doesn't make a good scene so we have to drama out instead.

I enjoy watching them perform.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

Holy cow @ Ann. What a B*tch! Love watching the girls do their cheers though.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Cheer Perfection (TLC)

I don't know if any of you guys have watched this show. It's a pretty interesting look at the world of cheer competitions. Not high school competitions, but teams from across the US that compete.

Well... this little ugly bit just happened today, and I have to say that I am totally shocked and disgusted!! I always thought Andrea was one of the more sane moms on this show.

This is from TMZ - not sure if I should post the link so I'll just post the actual text from the article...

****************************** ****************************** ****************************** ******************************

A 34-year-old mom who appeared on the TLC reality show "Cheer Perfection" has been arrested on suspicion of raping a boy under 14 years of age.

Andrea Clevenger -- Kylie's mom on the show -- turned herself in to authorities in Sherwood, Arkansas this morning after two felony warrants were issued for her arrest: one for rape, and one for engaging children in sexually explicit conduct for use in a visual or print medium.

Based on legal docs obtained by TMZ ... the boy was 13. He claims he was in Clevenger's home when she had him remove his pants. He says she climbed on top of him and had sex with him, and he claims he ejaculated in her mouth.

The boy also claims he had oral sex with Clevenger in her car on 2 occasions and they texted sexually explicit pics to each other.

According to docs, the parents saw the pics and called authorities in November.

Clevenger -- the same mom who once suggested treating a flat-iron burn with her own urine -- has been released on bond ... but has to wear a GPS monitoring device.

TLC had no comment.

Did I just read somewhere this morning that someone else involved with this show got arrested for drug possession? What a charming group. I'm sure the parents whose kids train at this place are feeling really great now.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Yes you sure did! Alisha's husband and co-owner of the gym, Ronald Dunlap, got arrested for MJ possession. Crazy right!

Just saw this on HLN today! Wow
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

No way. I never would have considered this show's cast (?) to run to these behaviors. It is one show I looked forward to watching.
    sparklete likes this.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

I agree mom2 - I actually enjoyed watching it. The mom's are not nearly as crazy as the Dance Moms and Alisha is really good to the girls (unlike Abby). The kids are pretty darn talented too.
    mom2 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread