+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Ink Master

Re: Ink Master

I have 14 tattoos. Neither of my upper arms really hurt until they started getting around to the back of the arm area. The one on my lower spine which basically just goes up the spine about 6 inches hurt. But I have a high pain tolerance. I will have physical reactions to pain before my brain really is like "dude you're in a lot of pain". So that tattoo made me nauseous. The two huge ones on my upper middle back were annoying but didn't hurt too bad except for hte parts that fell near to the kidney area... now that hurt. Shoulder blade area smarted a bit. Ankle smarted. Top of the foot hurt. For larger ones it wasn't unusual for me to be sitting for a few hours at a shot though.

Tattoos hurt. You are doing something to your body that is traumatic. But it's not a pain that can't be coped with if you're willing to cope. Unskilled artists will cause more pain. Skilled artists know how to do it well and not overwork areas. Skilled artists who you have a relationship with know where your threshold pain wise is and how to work with it. It's kind of an intimate relationship. I remember thinking around hour 2 of getting parts of my back done while sitting topless and vulnerable in his shop (I lost my shame a long time ago) in pain, wow this is someone who is putting something kind of intimate on my back. He's seeing something that not a lot of people will ever see (not a ton of people see my bare back). He's been there for all these meaningful tattoos. We've talked at length about them. He's seen me almost pass out. He's watched me cry. And he's causing me pain but doing it in the most gentle way possible and completely unapologetic. If anything with the promise that through the pain something great will happen. It was just a really interesting relationship. I know him outside of the shop too. Small town and all. I mean for a one shot tattoo probably wouldn't be that meaningful but I have a decade and many hours with him.
    ness, beerbelly and AZChristian like this.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I have a shoulder tat, and an inside forearm tat. They weren't that bad. I never felt the need to cry, but I am ready when they are done. I think it depends on the person and the area of the tattoo. I think people go in, expecting it not to hurt too much because everyone has one, then they are shocked that it hurts and they don't handle the pain as well. But, I have always gone in knowing that it would be painful and then the pain doesn't bother me as much.

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders View Post
    I have a shoulder tat, and an inside forearm tat. They weren't that bad. I never felt the need to cry, but I am ready when they are done. I think it depends on the person and the area of the tattoo. I think people go in, expecting it not to hurt too much because everyone has one, then they are shocked that it hurts and they don't handle the pain as well. But, I have always gone in knowing that it would be painful and then the pain doesn't bother me as much.
    I also think from watching at my shop that a lot people coming in after drinking a little bit (to get courage or whatever) which makes the artists job harder requiring more time spent going over areas in the skin so for them I imagine it does hurt a little extra. But generally speaking there pain when tattooing it's just whether or not you are a person who is good at coping with pain. I never cried from the pain of a tattoo (noticed I mentioned crying up thread) but I did cry when talking to my artist about what not as a friend.
    maude~flanders likes this.

I've always had some sort of pain medication on hand when going to get a tattoo. The last one I got I didn't have anything so I pounded a couple of beers. I noticed I bled a lot more than normal and the artist was a newer one so she didn't go deep enough. My grandmother's name looks like I've had it for a 100 years while the date looks new still and this was in 2008. I will never again drink before or allow a newer artist to touch my skin. If my guy isn't available, I'll just wait until he is!

I like this show but hate the fact that they give them 6 hours to do something that usually would take a few visits to do properly. I cannot imagine how many mistakes are made just to try to hurry up and finish a piece.
    Yup, with donuts!!

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Yes, I have heard that you bleed more when you drink alcohol before a tattoo. I guess you could take a couple of Advil to keep the inflamation down...

Another thing to take into consideration is the healing process. The tattoo hurts to get, but then you have several days of painful healing. My last tat got infected, and ouch! That was worse than getting it because it really hurt and felt like a bad burn for a few days until the infection cleared up.

Hmmm, I've always been told never to take any pain meds or booze before a tattoo because of the bleeding. Mind you, I didn't find mine (I only have two) painful. They're not large pieces but one does have a lot of black. Usually I'm a sissy for pain. Now on the other hand, my husband is generally much more stoic but he found the tattooing process extremely painful.

This show? It sucks. Love Dave Navarro but there is way too much yapping and drama and not enough tattooing. (Actually, I only tuned in because Navarro was involved.) Same problem as with every other tattoo show that's ever been on. The misspelling was bad, but I thought there was a lot of nitpicking by the judges on the "traditional" ones. Given the competition atmosphere and time limit, I don't know what they are expecting.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

You shouldn't drink prior to getting a tattoo. Makes for the potential to have a mess of a tattoo. Makes the job exponentially more difficult for the artist because they're trying to push in while you're bleeding it out. This leads to over working some areas and extra pain as they're trying to get it to stick (not to mention it can easily look like a hot mess and need to have lines done over). I've watched my artist turning people away who have been drinking. He doesn't want bad representations of his art walking around.

For me it feels like what it is while it heals. A giant abrasion. Like some road rash. If it's well cared for I find it doesn't hurt as much.

I don't much like these contest shows because I don't think it necessarily represents the artists. Some people are really good at traditional tattoos, some are relaly good at black and grey portraits. Others are good are Japenese style tats. Some really good at morbid stuff. I'd rather have a tattoo artist doing something he's pretty good at and worked at than someone who is sort of kind of good at a variety of styles.

causingchaos . . .

Just wanted to give you a shout out and let you know how much I'm enjoying reading your posts with background info on the ins and outs of tattooing.

VERY interesting and informative!

Please keep it up!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Just ONE comment about the latest show . . .

It made my day and ROCKED MY WORLD when that idiot, Kay, was thrown for a loop by having HIS canvas CHOOSE HIM!

I was ROTFLMFAO!

Karma, Kay.

KARMA!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL!
    buglover and maude~flanders like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

I don't have any tattoos but this show could be interesting. I haven't watched any of it yet but might check it out sometime.

+ Reply to Thread