+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: Ink Master

Re: Ink Master

Can't agree more with the last few posts. I started to post after watching the last couple of episodes and really just didn't have the energy. Very disappointed with this season, and a lot of it is show/producer-driven. ultimately, though, not liking very many tattoos, and jadewarlock is spot on with the ramifications of how horrid some are.

Isnt there another tatoo competition type show on? I have seen a couple of episodes but cannot for the life of me remember what its called!

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
    Isnt there another tatoo competition type show on? I have seen a couple of episodes but cannot for the life of me remember what its called!
    Apparently there have been two on TV - Tattoo Titans and Best Ink as well as the one we know here.
    cablejockey likes this.

Best Ink sounds familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by wannasee View Post
    Can't agree more with the last few posts. I started to post after watching the last couple of episodes and really just didn't have the energy. Very disappointed with this season, and a lot of it is show/producer-driven. ultimately, though, not liking very many tattoos, and jadewarlock is spot on with the ramifications of how horrid some are.
    I think that a lot of it is producer driven and it's affecting a lot of the tattoo's. In all reality, there have only been one or two who have consistently had GOOD tattoos (even if the style was a bit weird) in spite of all the drive drama. They've been named quite a bit too.

I was on the Spike site to look at the tattoos, and someone said that Walter/Matti's would've been improved if they had actually put eyes in that dragon design. I agree there, as it would've made it clearer at least what it was and would've improved the design. I think they could've done better with it, but given that Jay was just doing so poorly with Melissa in teamwork, as long as they had a clean tattoo they were going to rank higher than Jay and Melissa.

This season has just been quite bad as far as the behavior though - it's the FIRST season they've had someone quit and someone kicked out of the show for fighting. I doubt they'll do a "get to come back for a second shot" after the way Kyle behaved. Can't say as I'd blame them either if they fly off the handle (well, unless Walter is the one who is eliminated before the finale - I think they'd give him a second chance because he's been consistently good).

Yes, Katherine (Tattoo Baby) had her issues and was lambasted by the judges because she was a returning contestant, but she pushed through the criticism and made it to the final three, and her tattoo wasn't that bad (she lost to the better two artists in the final three). I give her more props for pushing through that adversity than the way Kyle behaved most of this season - ESPECIALLY since he knew how she was treated as a returnee because she was on HIS season getting reamed for the tattoos.
    wannasee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    I think that a lot of it is producer driven and it's affecting a lot of the tattoo's. In all reality, there have only been one or two who have consistently had GOOD tattoos (even if the style was a bit weird) in spite of all the drive drama. They've been named quite a bit too.

I was on the Spike site to look at the tattoos, and someone said that Walter/Matti's would've been improved if they had actually put eyes in that dragon design. I agree there, as it would've made it clearer at least what it was and would've improved the design. I think they could've done better with it, but given that Jay was just doing so poorly with Melissa in teamwork, as long as they had a clean tattoo they were going to rank higher than Jay and Melissa.

This season has just been quite bad as far as the behavior though - it's the FIRST season they've had someone quit and someone kicked out of the show for fighting. I doubt they'll do a "get to come back for a second shot" after the way Kyle behaved. Can't say as I'd blame them either if they fly off the handle (well, unless Walter is the one who is eliminated before the finale - I think they'd give him a second chance because he's been consistently good).

Yes, Katherine (Tattoo Baby) had her issues and was lambasted by the judges because she was a returning contestant, but she pushed through the criticism and made it to the final three, and her tattoo wasn't that bad (she lost to the better two artists in the final three). I give her more props for pushing through that adversity than the way Kyle behaved most of this season - ESPECIALLY since he knew how she was treated as a returnee because she was on HIS season getting reamed for the tattoos.
    It is producer driven. Kyle's leaving the show was part of it. They didn't show a lot of what happened. Nunez harrassed him about his wife and family. Not cool. No telling what else hasn't been seen.
    cablejockey and wannasee like this.
    You know how alcohol makes people let down their prohibitions Ms Rap Supreme on VH1

I find it a bit funny that when the victims/canvases do their part to pick the worst one, nobody ever seems to want to admit that theirs is the baddest one! They all depend their tattoo and make excuses for why it looks the way it does. I dont know how they ever make a final decision.

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
    I find it a bit funny that when the victims/canvases do their part to pick the worst one, nobody ever seems to want to admit that theirs is the baddest one! They all depend their tattoo and make excuses for why it looks the way it does. I dont know how they ever make a final decision.
    I agree here - because honestly the tattoos weren't all that bad save a couple this week. I do agree Walter played safe with the design, but when you don't know the style, I'd say risk safe and if you're eliminated at least you don't give your client a horrid tattoo.

This week, they weren't great. I honestly think Scott's was one of the worst, as was the one that was basically a giant black hole with a snake in it. Melissa's was better than at least one of those two, but of COURSE the judges were going to eliminate her because she was not nearly as drama inducing as 3/4ths of the other artists (no prizes for guessing the one who isn't nearly as much).

Next week looks interesting - we're seeing Walter's temper finally show. He needs to be careful though - he's better than at least one of the other artists left, and if he lets that temper get the best of him or let his lower design this week get to his mind, he'll be out. Honestly, he really is one of the most consistently good designers left in this competition.
    wannasee likes this.

I liked that Statue of Liberty challenge, and thought all the tattoos were okay to pretty good. I was a little surprised at Halo winning, because the challenge was about proportion and something seemed off to me, with his. Only thing I can clearly think of right now is the spikes on the headpiece, they looked short and all the same size or something. The Japanese...I was a little distracted but they have the whole night before to sketch and such, right? I wish some of them would have looked up the basic rules of the style, since it was a big deal. That said, I liked Matty's and Melissa's...I'd have either of those, for the rich colors alone.
    cablejockey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wannasee View Post
    I liked that Statue of Liberty challenge, and thought all the tattoos were okay to pretty good. I was a little surprised at Halo winning, because the challenge was about proportion and something seemed off to me, with his. Only thing I can clearly think of right now is the spikes on the headpiece, they looked short and all the same size or something. The Japanese...I was a little distracted but they have the whole night before to sketch and such, right? I wish some of them would have looked up the basic rules of the style, since it was a big deal. That said, I liked Matty's and Melissa's...I'd have either of those, for the rich colors alone.
    My understanding is they talk to their clients then have all night to sketch (Flash challenges excluded). It would make sense as they have to have a lot of detail in the tattoos with the possible exception of the traditional tattoo (which I don't know if they've done one of these this year).

Melissa's was the only one I'd want to see on a shirt though - it was the closest to a true Japanese tattoo (another reason I was not happy they chose to eliminate her besides the drama - and let's face it, that was the REAL reason). Matti's was good though, and he was in the bottom just because of numbers and a slight proportion issue.

The spikes on Halo's were off, but I think he won over say Walter (going down the list) is that Walter didn't do a full sketch of the statue. Then again - quite a few of them didn't do the FULL statue either. I think in Walter's case, it was more of a bust (literally bust to top) tattoo, where as the others were at least 3/4th of the statue.

Scott seriously couldn't count - even I know there are 7 rays on the crown. His ego's going to really bite him I think, and it showed this week with the tattoo. He was so lucky he had a good track record to keep him in the show.

One quibble - the show uses the Statue of Liberty WAY too often for a flash challenge. I think it's been used 3 out of the 4 seasons now. They're going to have folks practice a lot on drawing her at this rate and then they'll have trouble determining a winner because they'll all be good.
    wannasee likes this.

+ Reply to Thread