+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Ink Master

Re: Ink Master

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
    Was it last week that the canvas fainted and had to stop, so the tattooer didnt have anything to work on? I really thought the producers dropped the ball on that--there should be a replacement waiting in the wings for times like this! But they made it into some kind of test to see what he would do now and he came through, but. really dont the judges expect too much from these guys? They are just making tatoos, not a cure for cancer, or saving lives like a para-medic or fireman.
    Last week was the two tattooers working on one canvas. One of the canvases did faint, so King Ruck applied a small tattoo to himself to show the judges he understood the concept. The other guy closed shop. (And this week, King Ruck ended up going home anyway.)

Oh thats too bad. This coming week looks very dramatic with Kyle Dunbar the returnee, getting physical with one of the judges.

I know not a lot of folks have commented on the season this year, but I'm going to type one in after watching last night's when Gentle Jay was finally eliminated.

They did a tag-team tattoo event which originally lead the group to believe they were going to be eliminated in a pair. I doubted this would happen given they've had two double eliminations already (one due to two really bad tattoos and one when Kyle got himself ejected from the game - they eliminated someone else).

Melissa and Jay had the weakest tattoo because, while Sausage and Matti's was convoluted, theirs still looked like the work of one artist compared to Melissa and Jay's mess. (Of note, Sausage is my favorite artist of the lot, but seriously Scott and Halo's tattoo of a Carousel Horse with octopus mane was inspired and really cool - I'd wear a T-shirt of that design. Here Sausage gave Matti a tad too MUCH rein on design.)

So Melissa and Jay did a face off with the same tattoo designed by the guest judge.

I felt Melissa's was honestly the better of the two to begin with in color and line work (even with the slightly wonky eye and I agreed on the center rose petals needing a touch of color).

I think what KILLED any chance Jay would stay was the fact he said the canvas liked the leaves of this design (which was a leopard eating a rose - again another design I'd consider wearing a shirt or watch of said design).

Or in short - he insulted the guest judge, who is a well-known tattoo artist.

And I don't buy Jay's baloney that Melissa was better because of the "team effort" by the other artists. 1. Just because they offered to give her advice did not mean she had to take it, she chose to, so she'd had to face the consequences if it was bad advice, 2. He MIGHT have gotten a pointer or two if he hadn't acted like an egoistical jerk to them, making him a target in this case, and 3. if he and Melissa actually had worked together and worked well, it'd been Sausage and Matti in the face off and he'd been able to preen like a peacock for a while longer.

Seriously, one of the best decisions they've made all year, almost beats Kyle being thrown out for his treatment of Nunez. That guy could tattoo and tattoo well, but he let his ego get the best of him and he earned his ejection.
    GarynKatie likes this.

I haven't commented much because I don't watch the show until Friday morning (online). Gentle Jay's been having issues for a couple of weeks now (not helped by idiotic canvases).
    GarynKatie likes this.

I didnt like the help that Melissa got.If she was half the tattooist she claims she is, the would have laughed away the 'help' and tell them she can win on her own merit. I am surprised the judges let those guys give Melissa all that advice to help her beat Jay!

I didnt like the help that Melissa got.If she was half the tattooist she claims she is, the would have laughed away the 'help' and tell them she can win on her own merit. I am surprised the judges let those guys give Melissa all that advice to help her beat Jay!
    It didn't bother me, and I think this is what the judges thought given how they react to stuff on this show:

If Melissa took the advice and had the bad tattoo, she would deserve to be eliminated for listening to them instead of sticking to her guns so to speak.

Jay on the other hand, if he was supposedly as good as he claimed he was, he'd knock it out of the park in spite of Melissa's help.

The judges I feel are a bit like "The Amazing Race" that way - if the person getting help uses it and it hurts them, it's their own fault. The other person not being helped can either push through that or falter.

Now, do I *like* what happened? No, but I maintain that Jay could've knocked it out of the park even with her getting help, so I still call baloney that she did so great because of the help of the others. This goes especially true when they couldn't handle the needles or coloring.

She's not going to last much longer either, so they could've almost done a second double elimination and been OK.

By the way, I'd like to make one other note - I am impressed at how well overall Sausage dresses. He has to be probably the classiest dressed contestant I've seen on this show. Sure he has his tattoos (only a few and not on his face or neck that I've noticed) and he has a very weird beard on his face, but honestly if I were wanting a tattoo, I'd go to him first because if he's working hard to keep himself looking nice, I'd think he'd take the time to make sure I got a safe tattoo. (Note, I'd still look at the parlor among other things as well, but this is a step in the right direction).

Pretty much every other artist I've seen on this show looks like they came straight out of the bar to get a tattoo IMHO. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't go to their parlor, but appearances do help.
    cablejockey likes this.

I noticed the way Sausage(really, can he get a new nickname) dresses and his attitude in the game. While others love to plan ways to make it harder for others and get them to lose, Mr. S doesnt like to play the game like that. He also has shown how much talent he has, especially when others try to make it more difficult for him!

I noticed the way Sausage(really, can he get a new nickname) dresses and his attitude in the game. While others love to plan ways to make it harder for others and get them to lose, Mr. S doesnt like to play the game like that. He also has shown how much talent he has, especially when others try to make it more difficult for him!
    I agree - his real name (Walter, which BTW fits him, and yes this is a compliment) isn't THAT bad - and honestly, I think he gets it from his last name (Frank). That said, it does get people's attention, which I think is why he does it.

And you're so right that he lets his work speak for itself, even last night's tattoo. No, it wasn't the best design and I do agree with the judges that he and Matti should've tried something that worked to their best skills, but it was not a bad tattoo because they work was sharp and crisp.

But when you let your work speak for yourself, you will succeed. When you start letting the contestants get to you, and I mean truly get to you and not the staged stuff, you do poorly. That's why folks like Gentle Jay get eliminated - they let their egos get to them. Not saying Walter doesn't have an ego - you can see it, but he doesn't let it control him.
    cablejockey likes this.

Yes so true--and where do they get some of these contestants? They seem so rough, so not caring about the customers, and so confrontational! I guess its supposed to make good reality tv, but fewer of these guys and more serious working types would suit me.

Yes so true--and where do they get some of these contestants? They seem so rough, so not caring about the customers, and so confrontational! I guess its supposed to make good reality tv, but fewer of these guys and more serious working types would suit me.
    I've noticed that too, and even more so this season than in the past. They've had at least two or three artists say basically "It's my way or the highway" or "You're getting a free tattoo (Um, no, not free - they will have to pay taxes for their travels and such), so you're getting what I want to put on you."

If I were getting a tattoo on this show, I know there's a risk there will be an error on it. That said, I'd at least like something that I can possibly cover up if possible if it's that bad. Some of these tattoos have been horrible and you CAN'T cover them up, such as that puzzle piece over a guy's left breast that is solid black near the nipple. There's NO WAY it can be covered up (and a naked mole rat would look better on him than this), and the nipple uncovered there just looks like a bad bra was placed permanently on his left breast. There was another one just as bad, and I think it too was the geometric one. .

Wonder when they're going to do the anatomy one too? I honestly hope they DON'T do that particular style honestly - not only has there only been one I liked (because said designer added some fun bits to it), they tend to have the most mistakes. I'd prefer they test them in another area, such as traditional or even steampunk with the gears.
    cablejockey and wannasee like this.

+ Reply to Thread