+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Couples Therapy - VH1

Re: Couples Therapy - VH1

I have not watched this but went through the thread to see what is going on. Everyone has different things that REALLY bother them. If a parent was not acting parental due to his Alzheimer's, I can see a child thinking of getting to a place of safety. So I would not find Alex's wishing her apparently hurtful father dead. Kudos to any couple that acknowledges and works on their investment in their partner.
    You can do it!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

All else aside, good yonks, Courtney learned ever single mannerism from her mother. There's been a lot of speculation around the 'net about her childhood, and I don't even want to dip a toe into that, but at the very least, she's picked up on the lip licking and hair tossing from her mother. On the one hand I kinda/sorta get the "dress up" aspect of giving kids heels at a young age. When I was about 5 or 6 I had a princess costume from a toy store with "heels" (basically 2" wedges) but they broke eventually and I got over it. OTOH, that was in the house as a fun dress up time, not out in public, ever. Her mother seems very immature. If cops and "sheiks" were banging down doors to get to my teen, I'd be on the phone with the local cops, the FBI, a criminal lawyer, and anyone else I could think of. Or just get out the hose and spray them down. The mom seemed all too proud that her teen daughter attracted the attention.

I wonder if Shayne will have an epiphany of sorts next week. The clock is a' tickin"...
    I want to like her. Really, I do.

I didn't think they showed anything much of the session between Dr Jen and Courtney's mother because nothing that she said indicated any sense of how bizarre it is to go from wearing high heels as a dress up thing, and wearing these ridiculous skimpy outfits that Courtney favors-- particularly at the age of 11 or 12.

I"m sure whatever was said between them that acknowledged any issued with Courtney was kept off-screen. I assume there was something, otherwise the comment about how helpful it was would have been meaningless.

I truly have no idea of what's going on between Doug and Courtney, but I do find him uncomfortably overripe and squishy. I kind of think he's really screwed up-- and I have no idea bout her, but I suppose she must be to do all the stuff she does for attention.

Quote Originally Posted by cavendish View Post
    I truly have no idea of what's going on between Doug and Courtney, but I do find him uncomfortably overripe and squishy.
    Ew, but yes.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I'm only 10 minutes into this current episode, and I have a question if anyone has experience to share on either side of the proverbial couch. Is it normal for the therapist to use the s word and the f word in therapy sessions? It seems highly unprofessional to me. Then again, so does stunt casting....

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    I'm only 10 minutes into this current episode, and I have a question if anyone has experience to share on either side of the proverbial couch. Is it normal for the therapist to use the s word and the f word in therapy sessions? It seems highly unprofessional to me. Then again, so does stunt casting....
    I am a therapist, and the answer to your question is "no".

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

I suspect that Dr. Jen thinks that using swear words for emphasis will give her more 'street cred' and will have more impact on the couples. Although I agree that it's pretty unprofessional (at least to me) for her to use the swear words, I have to admit, that very often when she does swear at them and yell at them, they do seem to wake up and pay more attention to what she is really trying to tell them.

It kind of backfired in this last episode though! With JoJo (Is that his name?), if you remember, he just came unglued after the session because Jen really had his number and he not only knew it, but with all of his 'skating through' the couples therapy up until this point, without making any commitment on his part to stop drinking --- he suddenly 'got' that he's going to have to make a hard choice: and if he continues to drink (which is pretty clear that's what he wants and is planning to do) he really is going to lose his health, probably his wife, and possibly his life.

I was taken aback by the overtness of JoJo's unwillingness to even consider compromise, or the demands he was making of his wife-- and his unpleasant assertions that he would "try"-- maybe-- but that he was "going to" drink eventually.

He was really disrespectful to his wife. He showed no interested really in changing-- why would his wife would stick with him, unless she feels she can't make it without him? I felt sort of sorry for her because she seemed sort of stuck, too.

Loved Shayne's wedding dress...
    Loved that JoJo was willing to try AA.

+ Reply to Thread