+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Life After Top Chef (Bravo, Wednesdays 10PM)

Life After Top Chef (Bravo, Wednesdays 10PM)

For the first time, cameras are taken outside of the Top Chef kitchen and into the lives of Bravo Media’s most beloved former cheftestants in Life After Top Chef. The show follows Richard Blais in Atlanta, Jen Carroll in Philadelphia, Spike Mendelsohn in D.C., and Fabio Viviani in Los Angeles as they reach milestones in both their personal lives and culinary careers, from opening their own restaurants to expanding franchises and establishing themselves as culinary leaders in the food world.

Richard Blais is a perfectionist with a relentless mind, and after losing Top Chef: Chicago Season 4, he came back with a vengeance and ultimately won Top Chef All-Stars. Richard owns a successful four-star burger eatery with multiple locations and runs a creative culinary company that works with three and four-star restaurants. Following a failed attempt at his culinary dream, Richard wants to invest his winnings to finally succeed in opening a fine dining restaurant in Atlanta. Unfortunately, he struggles between his ambitions in the kitchen and being there for his family at home.

If there’s one female chef who can intimidate the guys, it’s badass Jen Carroll. As the bright and shining star of Chef Eric Ripert’s restaurant empire, she left her most recent post as Executive Chef at 10 Arts in Philadelphia to head out on her own. She sets out to open Concrete Blonde, her dream restaurant, with an equal dose of ambition and tenacity. She must overcome some hurdles before realizing that it takes more than raw talent to achieve your goals. In her personal life, Jen helps care for her sick mother and is coming to terms with being 37 years old and newly single.

Spike Mendelsohn competed on Top Chef to gain notoriety, and quickly became a household name. Being the baby of a food industry family, he was encouraged to associate his name with the family business to drive its success. While Spike wants to please his family, he also wants to succeed in opening a restaurant of his own. This carefree and brilliant chef struggles with his strong desire to venture on his own while avoiding ruffling feathers with the Mendelsohn clan.

Fan favorite Fabio Viviani won over America in Top Chef: New York Season 5 with his thick Italian accent, and suave yet gregarious nature. He has never met a hand he did not want to kiss and with use of the sheer radiance of his dazzling personality, he hopes to build his empire and become the “male Martha Stewart.” The chef and owner of two successful Los Angeles restaurants, Fabio is going non-stop with global food festivals, charity events, a web show and multiple partnerships, and this unwavering ambition starts to take a toll on him, both physically and emotionally.

Life After Top Chef - BravoTV.com
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fogey

Re: Life After Top Chef (Bravo, Wednesdays 10PM)

I wonder if they will show any others.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I wonder if they will show any others.
    I don't think there are that many episodes to this show, since it airs on Wed. at 10, and the new season of Top Chef premieres in that slot on Nov. 7. So maybe other chefs will make an appearance if they're visiting or something, but I'd guess they're going to focus on these 4.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I love Top Chef, and all the counterpart shows, so much. My family and I never miss an episode.

However, I must admit to being extremely sick and tired of seeing Spike and Richard (...and Fabio, to a degree) on......every darn show!!!! Those two guys really need to get a life and move on from the Top Chef franchise!!!

I find Spike the most entertaining, then Fabio, Richard not so much.
    dzigner likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox View Post
    I love Top Chef, and all the counterpart shows, so much. My family and I never miss an episode.

However, I must admit to being extremely sick and tired of seeing Spike and Richard (...and Fabio, to a degree) on......every darn show!!!! Those two guys really need to get a life and move on from the Top Chef franchise!!!
    Any opportunity to get TV exposure is fabulous. I think they chose this group because they are doing interesting things in real life. If they were not why create a series around them?

After watching last night's episode...

Richard... he was my favorite after his first season. I liked him a little less after All Stars, and after last night I liked him even less. He seems stressed and has lost his sense of humor.

Fabio...loved him both seasons and loved him more after last night. I think he was hysterical doing his cooking class describing his hot, sexy, moist, and drunk chicken. He is definitely a people person.

Spike...I was sort-of indifferent to him and he did act like a jerk several times on his season, but I actually liked him more after last night. I like the fact he was honest and said he did the show to gain some fame. Many reality stars go into it for the fame, but few admit to it. I found that refreshingly honest.

Jen...I didn't like her on her first season. I didn't like her on All Stars and I didn't like her last night. She just seems like a sourpuss and I don't enjoy watching her.
    Florimel, dzigner and Shoepie like this.

FORT Fogey

I agree with everything you said Maybaybie.

I was not surprised to hear that Jens investors backed out. They probably jumped to back her before they were totally aware of her combative personality.

Richard's phone call to his wife said a lot. She knew the call was being taped for the show and she was unable or unwilling to harness her anger. Many chefs say that they have to be married to their restaurants so it is crucial to have an understanding wife who is willing to stick by them until they are established.

A Realistic Review Of Being A Chef

A Realistic Review Of Being A Chef

Studies have shown that divorce rates among chefs and their partners are higher than those of other professions, and given the extremely stressful conditions ...
    dzigner likes this.

This show is going to focus on just these 4 former contestants. It is the filler between Top Chef Masters(which I grew tired of) & Top Chef Seattle.

I thought it was interesting how different their careers went after leaving Top Chef. Apparently Eric was none too pleased with Jen's behaviour after she was booted from TC All Stars. It kind of sounded, at least to me, that she was almost forced out of that position. I took my son to 10 Arts for his college graduation. The food was fantastic but expensive but how many times does your son graduate from college.

Richard is opening up a new restaurant but it appears that his home life is suffering from it. His tought process is just too much for me & my tastes.

2 of the former contestants have several thriving restaurants. Fabio & Spike were popular during their seasons & they used that popularity to grow their business & brand. Spike is going to opne up a resturant in Philly. Jen didn't seem too happy about that since she is having money issues with trying to get her Concrete Blonde restaurant up & running.

They did participate in a "challange" but there isn't any elimination & I didn't hear any mention of a prize. Richard from Top Chef Texas was there as well. They had to do a dish that was based on their nationality. Richard made a blood sausage dish which I would never eat. Jen's protien was lost in shipping so she had to make do with frozen shrimp she found in their hotel. Fabio made gnocchi with duck sausage which Richard said was too simple of a dish but it was everyones favorite. To be honest I did not see what Spike made.

Next week I think they are going to follow each chef around in their own city & restaurant.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

FORT Fogey

That was not a challenge. They were at the Aspen Food and Wine classic. It is where chefs give seminars, make food and other things.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast