+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By r2maybs

Thread: Over The Rainbow

Over The Rainbow

Just wondering if anyone is watching this Canadian show? It is a talent contest to pick a girl that will be in the play Wizard of Oz that will be playing in Toronto starting in December. It is a little corny, but I have already bought tickets to the play so I am interested who will be picked.

FORT Fogey

Re: Over The Rainbow

I don't think we get it around here, but I wish I could see it. I remember a few years ago they picked the two leads of the revival of GREASE this way and it was fun since you knew exactly what the prize was and the judges were actually looking for the two kids to be their characters in all the challenges rather than just trying to sing something.

They also did it in Toronto a few years a go to find a Maria for Sound of Music

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

These shows are really fun to watch. Andrew Lloyd Weber has participated in several of these types of talent search shows which searched for the 'stars' for new revivals of a number of musicals. So far I've seen 3 of them, looking for stars for the revivals of: The Sound of Music, Oliver, and Joseph and the Amazing Dreamcoat. Yeah, the format of the search shows are a little corny, but they're very entertaining and the talent is always really outstanding. BBC has broadcast some of the search shows, and I've been watching the BBC tv listings hoping to see Over The Rainbow but haven't seen it there, so far. Perhaps we can catch it on line.

PS PBS is currently running a similar type of talent search show called Broadway or Bust. In our area the first episode started this week, but you may be able to catch one of the re-runs.
    Last edited by Imperfect1; 09-19-2012 at 07:36 AM.

FORT Fogey

I saw B or B... Isn't that HS drama kids....really talented kids.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Just saw the 3 episodes of "Broadway or Bust." It was fabulous!!! Those kids were really talented. This was a three part behind-the-scenes show of the annual Jimmy Awards -- a national musical competition on Broadway, for the top 60 singing/dancing high school students from around the country. For anyone who's interested, you can see the performances on YouTube for all of the recent years of the Jimmy Awards. They are really great!

I've been watching this show off and on (yay for having CBC in my few local channels here).

I think there's some talent in there but if I'm not looking at them singing I can hear that some of their voices are noticeably weak. And since I'm not keeping track of the girls involved in this I can't name which ones I find weaker than others. Also some of the pop songs they're singing are songs that I absolutely hate and that I don't think are sung well by the original artist let alone these girls. I kind of think it's unfair to stick them with songs like those because they're just mine fields.

Anyhow, when I watch the girls I'm not seeing anyone that just screams Dorothy to me acting wise either. Maybe it will come out a little more. Some I feel look a little old. And others feel a little too modern/city girl for it for me.

Now that there are only 5 girls left, I know what their names are.

I like Danielle and AJ as I think they are the most talented, but I can't see them as Dorothy.

I am not a fan of Colleen.

Cassandra is ok, but I can't get past the glasses she wears!

I think that Stephanie is the best choice for Dorothy. She is young and probably doesn't have as much experience as the others but she has improved throughout the show.

Danielle won, she was never in the bottom 2 so I had a feeling she would win. Can't wait to see the show in Toronto in March!!
    Allie likes this.

+ Reply to Thread