+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Chance to Dance (Ovation)

A Chance to Dance (Ovation)

A CHANCE TO DANCE follows Michael Nunn and Billy Trevitt, two of the UKís most prominent contemporary dancers and choreographers, in their quest to create a new dance company for Nigel Lythgoe in just 28 days. Traveling across the country, they audition dancers from dance schools in Washington, DC; Salt Lake City, UT; and Austin, TX. The competition and the pressure intensify as the final group heads to the dance mecca of Jacobís Pillow, MA, where they must eliminate half the dancers and form a company for the grand finale: an original performance in New York.
    Ovation

I just happened upon this show OnDemand and got totally sucked in! If you're a dance fan, this show has SO much dancing. I've watched the first three (of four) episodes and it's all auditions and rehearsals in a studio setting (vs. individuals on a stage like SYTYCD). I like Billy and Michael and it was fun to see them doing their thing.

It airs on Friday nights at 10PM Eastern (7PM Pacific). Has anyone else discovered this show?
    Last edited by Critical; 09-09-2012 at 10:40 AM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Re: A Chance to Dance (Ovation)

No, I did not know about it, but I shall now check On Demand for it. Thanks, Critical.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Re: A Chance to Dance (Ovation)

I really like the show. I watched all four episodes back-to-back and stayed up WAY too late! It's fun to see how Michael and Billy work and it's nice to see Allison Holker and learn a bit more about her. They definitely should not let that girl drive!

I like that the show focuses more the purity of dance vs. all the popularity b.s. from SYTYCD.

I can see why they want to keep Shepherd around - he's a hard worker and really has something special when he dances in his own style and he IS picking things up pretty quickly. Still, I'm not sure how he's going to fit in with the rest of the company....maybe they're going to have him NOT fit in. Michael and Billy were right when they said Chelsea was a gift for Shepherd in that partnering class. That girl is fearless! I love that both Michael and Billy demonstrated the lifts with the girls instead of just telling the dancers what they should be doing.

I did feel bad for Chase when he was sent home and then found out they decided to keep Shepherd.

Of the guys, I think Patrick of my favorite. He has absolutely beautiful feet and great technique. I think TallChase is good too, but I'd be worried all the time that his heart problem would come back. There are a number of girls who I think are quite good. At this point, I can't imagine how they will pare this down to 12 dancers. They already couldn't cut six and now they have to cut seven? I don't think it's going to happen. They may end up with a baker's dozen!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread