+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Hotel Hell

Re: Hotel Hell

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I wonder if its a European thing. I have seen a lot of European men wearing speedos no matter what their "shape" as opposed to American guys who wear looser short types.
    Possibly, and at least in fairness to Ramsay, while I think he needs a wider pair of speedos (as in top to bottom, more a brief style than a bikini cut) - he at least looks halfway decent in one.

I think he'd be better off wearing on more along the lines of that photo of James Gardner in swim trunks many years ago when he modeled and almost that color honestly.

But may I say to get back on the subject of the show, I'm glad they brought it back and even with the brats they may have at these locations, Ramsay has done very well with the redesigning of said rooms and has a better success record because these folks really do seem to care.

I think he truly has a bigger passion for this one especially with the overload of cooks on Master Chef and Hell's Kitchen. (I think he likes MC Jr. and don't blame him walking away from "Kitchen Nightmares" so as to not wear himself out. We do know HE chose to leave, not because of a certain vindictive person trying to claim otherwise. )
    Ellen likes this.

Tonight's episode was another touching episode - Layla's Four Seasons in Vermont.

The owner - Sandy, is very appreciative of the changes that Ramsay did and giving him a huge kick in the pants to get him on the right track. Apparently it's worked well too - their business is overall booming and overall 4-star ratings on one site. There are still kinks to work out - which he admits to on his facebook page for the business, but still, just about every chance he gets he thanks Ramsay.

Layla, who is a dog, also seems very sweet.

Best part to me was - as this was also a place that has dog accommodations - Ramsay brought his English Bulldog as well (I think after remodeling - I missed just a tiny bit of this episode), and having so much fun there, he didn't leave when Ramsay told him to. Sure enough, Ramsay had to practically pick up the dog and walk him out.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

The dog's name is Rumpole. The resemblance is uncanny. LOL.
    Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    The dog's name is Rumpole. The resemblance is uncanny. LOL.
    Yes, he does look similar.

I'm enjoying too the fact they are showing the positive overall results and the more frustrating ones every other week (i.e. swapping out) so we don't have to have so many cringe worthy ones each week.

And I think there are some folks in other industries hating the fact that so far just about every one of these hotels is still doing great long after Ramsay's improvements. I don't know if it's the hotel's more willingness to overcome adversity over restaurants, or just plain stubbornness on the restaurant's side to not change things.
    AZChristian likes this.

FORT Newbie

This was the first Hotel Hell transformation that made me wish they would put it back the way it was originally. I thought the black-and-blue geometrics were really unattractive in that setting. It had a southwestern flavor and seemed inappropriate for New England. I would much rather have seen them take the flowery wallpaper down on two or three walls of the bedrooms and then paint the non-papered walls a neutral coordinating color. He did a renovation like that in Season One… maybe the pie-a-la-mode place… and I really liked the end result. It kept some of the original character and charm of the hotel without the pattern being so overpowering.

If the old wallpaper was damaged and he absolutely had no choice but to remove it all, I still think there were better approaches than the black-and-blue triangles with wood discs and fake animal heads, none of which screams “Vermont”. The bedding was very nice, though.

Anybody else grossed out by the earlobe modifications on the assistant chef?
    Punkin likes this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I didn't watch the whole episode, but I agree with our new friend, Simminy.

I live in the southwest. I LOVE southwest decor. But the hotel in Vermont was a hot mess. There was nothing cozy or appealing about those weird geometrics, and it just felt like they ruined the ambiance of the hotel with them.
    Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

FORT Fan

I didn't like the look of the rooms that much either. Though it was better than having something such as dead animal heads on the walls, which comes off as really creepy.

The décor was really off — not fitting for that particular hotel which identifies itself as local Vermont (the farm-to-table restaurant, etc.). I wonder if Gordon was really, really limited as far as decorator/budget/time, and had to go with less than his first choice — as the resolution part of the show seemed "piecey" and rushed, especially in the "oh by the way" manner in which the employees' finally getting paid was handled.

I'd never go there because of all the dander-factories running around all over the place, but even if it were pet-free, I'd be in no hurry to be a customer.

From a production standpoint, it wasn't a very well-executed episode. Maybe there was way too much going on to be smoothly incorporated into the allotted time.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

FORT Newbie

Thanks for the welcome! I discovered Gordon Ramsay just last year and I really enjoy his programs. Hotel Hell and Kitchen Nightmares are my favorites.

I'm psyched that he's doing some shows in New England, where I live... two inns in Vermont so far, and I think three restaurants in Massachusetts. One of these days I'll have to visit some of these establishments to see how well they adhered to his recommendations. (Well, obviously I won't be going to the Juniper Hill Inn... closed due to lack of smarts on the part of Robert and Ari.)

They always do such a nice job on the renos that this one really stood out for me... although I guess I didn't really like the huge white chevrons he painted in the lobby of the Oregon inn either. Maybe I've got geometric phobia or something...
    Punkin likes this.

FORT Fan

So the second season of this show ended and it was on Tuesday night, instead of Monday? I'd like it if the seasons were a little longer.
    momrek06 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread