+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Gallery Girls - on Bravo

Re: GALLERY GIRLS - on Bravo

I found that I have changed my opinion of the girls since the first few episodes. Those I disliked the most, I now like the most! Odd. I initially did not like Amy because of her rude, drunk behavior, but she has grown on me. As it turns out, she is probably the nicest person on the inside. I don't see any malicious feelings or jealousy like with most of the others. Also, Amy reminds me of a an old college roommate. Kind of a mess, but a good soul. I find that Liz is the meanest one.

It was kind of funny that the other intern, (I can't recall her name) told the boss about Amy giving her the list of tasks. Now that Amy's gone, she has to do them anyway. Rats! LOL

Being mean seems to come naturally to Liz. Maybe it stems from anger that her dad doesn't give her the attention she needs. I saw on her on Andy(WWHL) the other night and she was a snot there too.(She said things were better with her dad now.) She looked better on Andy's show, but her attitude sucks IMO. She's now my least favorite character on the show.

I'm also liking Angela better. This surprises even me.

Chantel definitely has some issues. I really doubt the statement she made about supporting herself since she was very young is true. She seems ill equipped to do such a thing. She lacks drive and show no work ethic. I wish she would open up and use her big girl voice.

Did Bravo pay for the trip to Miami?

I was looking at pictures of Dorothy Parker-- and you guys are so right--Chantal must have modeled that hairstyle directly from some old photos of Parker. I never thought of DP because Chantel has never said anything even vaguely clever, much less witty. I guess she forgot that Dorothy Parker was famous for her wit, not her hairstyle.

Too bad. We could use some epigrams right about now.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Chantel definitely has some issues. I really doubt the statement she made about supporting herself since she was very young is true. She seems ill equipped to do such a thing. She lacks drive and show no work ethic. I wish she would open up and use her big girl voice.
    Chantal has said (and we say her doing it) that she models for Japanese magazines to support herself. I have no doubt that EOC isn't giving any of them a living wage, but if she's pulling in a few thousand for modeling jobs, she can probably get by with the little money she gets (if any) from EOC. Does she live with her boyfriend? Maybe he has an actual job to pay the bills Frankly, I can't believe that "gallery" is still open. None of them seems to have a clue about how to run a business. It's like they just decided to do it because they thought it would be fun, but didn't do any real investigating about what it would actually entail.
    Debb70 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Chantal was strangely passive about the pop-up gallery, as if she was letting Angela screw up without giving her any clue to what she, Chantal, knew. On the art walk, for example, she seem to have a much clearer idea what you'd need for a pop-up show, without saying a word to help with the decision or to give Angela any input.

Maybe she wants Angela to fail-- then she can have the credential of running a gallery without the responsibility of a gallery, or any debt. If she makes money modeling, she could do a few extra jobs and possibly contribute more to keeping the place open-- not to mention contributing any expertise she has.

She certainly criticizes Angela a lot.

It's difficult to say what is covered by Bravo, but I assume they get an okay salary while they are filming. Does anyone know what kind of money you have to make to live in the city in a modest studio? Just curious.

The way Andy talked the other night, this show is doing very well. I do like it. For some reason I find it entertaining. lol

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Me too, and that's what surprises me the most - that I like the show so much, but there isn't even one character that I really like, except maybe Maggie. And if nothing else, Angela is kind of 'entertaining.' I do feel kind of sorry for Amy though, the 'poor little rich girl' who is so pathetically anxious to have people like/love her -- but the rest of them are varying degrees of self-involved 'mean girls.'

I like it too. I think it's because all the characters are ambiguous-- none of them is so good, and none of them is all bad, so you can kind of have multiple feelings about them at one time. And your feelings can shift from scene and moment to moment-- you aren't stuck with such an overwhelming feeling of one kind that no nuance is possible. Also there's no one who gets on my nerves so much that I just want someone to smack them, and no one I absolutely can't stand.

Amy's a perfect example. She's kind of creepy, but I feel pretty sympathetic toward her-- at the same time as I can understand why the others are a little put off. And I can even feel a little envious and happy for her that she has such a nice family home where she can go back and feel proud of something. Maybe the one character that I don't feel so much that way about is Chantal- but even she isn't hateful, just sort of sniveling and shady-- and self-involved.

Also the world of the shows is really fascinating and the ambience is pretty cool. I love that they went to Art Basil-- and the whole interning and trying to make your way in the art world premise has me really intrigued.

I hope it doesn't go the way of all these other shows, if it really catches on.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

I agree cavendish. I LOVE pretty much anything based in Manhattan --- the 'Sex in the City' concept really said it best --- essentially, that New York itself was one of the 'characters' in the show, and was of utmost importance. So whenever I see a show, documentary, film, whatever, that shows a lot of New York, I will watch it for that reason alone. And here, in The Gallery Girls, in addition to the NYC milieu, I also am enjoying the girls' interest in the art world. Even if it isn't exactly accurate, it's a field that we (the public) haven't had much exposure to, on TV, and I'm enjoying the fact that the girls are all trying to make their way into a cultural field -- rather than having no ambition but to get 'a job' and go to the neighborhood bar.
    Cornholio and Debb70 like this.

I am really enjoying the Art Basel portion of the show. I just can't believe that next week is the season finale already! It looks like it will be juicy.

I can't believe Mr. Brainwash was at Art Basel. Totally NOT an artist. All he does is blatantly copy the styles and work of well-known artists who actually have talent. Watch Exit Through the Gift Shop to learn more about him. He's a scam artist. I can't believe one of the girls - was in Kerri? - said he was her favorite artist there. It would make sense if Kerri said that since she seems to know the least about art of all the girls.

I thought Liz was totally justified in being mad at that guy for not tipping the waitress. That place comped them so much liquor and she waitress should have been tipped well AND based on the value of the liquor, not on what they were charged. If Liz is from Miami, it's possible she knows people who own that bar. It's not just a $5 tip we're talking about.

They didn't really make is clear before that Amy was living in an apartment her parents owned, did they? I guess I should have figured that out, since that internship wasn't paid.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast