+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Gallery Girls - on Bravo

Re: GALLERY GIRLS - on Bravo

My cousin is boycotting that growling, sleepy voice that is often describes as Kardashian. Whenever she hears it on tv, she mutes or changes the channel. Then she says, "Go back to school and learn how to talk!" I love it!

I have heard a lot of buzz about internships lately in the context of this show. I have heard that it's odd that these girls have already graduated from college, but are still interns and that true interns are supposed to be for students who get CREDIT hours in school. So, if they have graduated, then they aren't getting credit. Are they paid interns? I've heard that there is a big issue now with federal law on hour and wage control and unpaid employees who are not getting credit. I'm confused. Our interns are students and we've never had any that worked just for the experience.

Does anyone know the status of the girls on this show? I have missed some of the details.

So far, Chantal, who is depicted as exploitative and shallow, has Miss Entitled beat by a mile in my dislike column. Miss Entitled at least went to the AoftheC opening, but was treated pretty spitefully. But it's pretty much of a horse race among all the women-- plus the producers and creators of the show. The would-be photographer is pretty annoying, as is the would-be Entitled woman. I guess the real intern is portrayed as a pathetic loser whom Eli Klein uses as a onsite object of contempt, when no one else is available.

My guess is this is being portrayed in the least sympathetic, most stereotypical way possible-- the phony uptown vs downtown "girls"-- with the users and the used thrown in as a secondary theme.

I wish they would have tried to have some understanding of the people involved, not just show them in the worst possible light.

Can the girl with a fulltime job of delivering bagels and doing an internship, actually afford to support herself in NYC with that apt? Even with the Bravo money, that would be surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    My cousin is boycotting that growling, sleepy voice that is often describes as Kardashian. Whenever she hears it on tv, she mutes or changes the channel. Then she says, "Go back to school and learn how to talk!" I love it!

I have heard a lot of buzz about internships lately in the context of this show. I have heard that it's odd that these girls have already graduated from college, but are still interns and that true interns are supposed to be for students who get CREDIT hours in school. So, if they have graduated, then they aren't getting credit. Are they paid interns? I've heard that there is a big issue now with federal law on hour and wage control and unpaid employees who are not getting credit. I'm confused. Our interns are students and we've never had any that worked just for the experience.

Does anyone know the status of the girls on this show? I have missed some of the details.
    I know a number of people who did gallery internships after college. Many art world internships are paid. The stipend isn't huge, but they're usually enough to get by. They also usually aren't endless like Maggie's with Eli Klein seems to have been. That's a very competitive, cut-throat world and ANY job, internship or not, is highly coveted. I've known people who took an unpaid internship after college and lived with their parents or were supported by their parents, just to get their foot in the door. I'm pretty sure most of the girls - at least the ones doing internships - on this show have graduated from college already.
    Debb70 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Post-college internships are common in a lot of professions. The newspaper I worked for offered three-year paid internships to journalism school graduates. The good ones got hired full time, so it's a way for employers to test recruits and a good way for recruits to gain professional experience.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

And tons of law students do unpaid internships while they're in law school --- hoping, of course, the firm will hire them when they graduate and pass the bar exam. There's probably unpaid interns in many fields that we wouldn't even think of.

I finally watched an episode. And yes, the women have the most annoying creaky voices on TV (Good Lord, get them some WD-40), I love shows set in New York, so I'm hooked. And Debb, I was thinking the same thing about the interns' apartments. One lives in the West Village! What does a one-bedroom rent for in that neighborhood? Has to be at least $3,000.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Studios alone go for about 2500. I saw a 2 bedroom for 5,000. Lots of mid-3,000 and mid-4000s a month.

Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post
    I've got it recorded, but the promos make me think I'll hate it. I'm really struggling with all these series featuring young women (The Bachelor, Beverly Hills Nannies, HBO's "Girls") because I hate the way they talk. They all talk like babies with creaky voices. It's a generational thing that most people don't even hear. But to me this speech affectation is like nails on a blackboard, and it has spread like an annoying virus to television commercials as well. It's like having to listen to the Kardashians 24/7. There's even a website about it.

Squibbage: The Creaky Voice Craze

So thanks again for all this info.

So if I can get past thinking the women sound like idiots I might be able to enjoy this show.
    Never having expressed my opinion about this type of voice, I thought it was only me who heard it!!
    I have a BA in Speech Pathology and an MA in Audiology, so I was sure that I was picking up on something just because I was trained to hear sounds and was just being picky.
    I HATE this voice...drives me insane...altho I always equated it to a whine-y sound but creaky is far better description.
    It's most prevalent in one of the girls and she alone made me turn off the recording of the show.
    Thank you sooo much for this!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Never having expressed my opinion about this type of voice, I thought it was only me who heard it!!
    I have a BA in Speech Pathology and an MA in Audiology, so I was sure that I was picking up on something just because I was trained to hear sounds and was just being picky.
    I HATE this voice...drives me insane...altho I always equated it to a whine-y sound but creaky is far better description.
    It's most prevalent in one of the girls and she alone made me turn off the recording of the show.
    Thank you sooo much for this!!
    You are not alone in being disturbed by this voice. It has become a sound that I believe young women imitate, because they think it makes them sound like a celebrity, Kardashian style famous. There used to be some of it going on on The Hills and a few other celebrity shows. The girl's normal speaking voices are not like that. It's all fake. If they would get some negative reaction to it, they might drop it. I think it would be wildly entertaining to see that happen.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast