+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Breaking Amish

Breaking Amish

Breaking Amish, on TLC, Sunday, Sept. 9 at 10|9c, provides a never-before-seen look inside the lives of young men and women as they, for the first time, trade horse and buggy with taxi cabs to break out from their respective Amish/Mennonite communities in their pursuit to chase big dreams in the Big Apple. The groundbreaking series features nine hour-long episodes.

About Breaking Amish: Breaking Amish: TLC
    KAREN

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Re: Breaking Amish

Born and raised in central PA. I was never a surprise to be caught behind a 'buggy' or to find horse poop in the parking lot of the grocery store. I even worked in the office at a Goodwill facility where they pulled the pastel colored button down shirts and kept them in the back solely for the Amish to get first choice.

It's an interesting life style, especially in this day and age when the contrast is so stark. Looking forward to at least an episode or two.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Sounds sort of like Amish in the City from 2004. I love the network hype: "never-before-seen"....except on a TV show and a bunch of news specials!

I may tune in, although I'm peeved at TLC and their trashy programming lately. Maybe if this one isn't so horrible and it gets good ratings, they'll get the message! Unfortunately, shows like this usually don't get the ratings that those train wreck shows do.
    Dicechick likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Sounds sort of like Amish in the City from 2004. I love the network hype: "never-before-seen"....except on a TV show and a bunch of news specials!
    those were my exact thoughts. I will try and tune in though. I try to watch stuff like the Duggers on TLC, but I always forget when its on. Hopefully I'll make it for this. I really liked the last thing Mose did "Amish Out of Order" which mostly covered ex-Amish. I feel bad because ever since Amish in the City I've found them so fascinating.
    Debb70 likes this.

I happen to be flipping through channels last night and happened to pause on the season premier of this show. It started with highlighting and introducing the Amish who have choosen to leave their communities and go to NY. I found the background information on their life styles and choices interesting. I have not watched any of the previous reality shows featuring people from Amish communities, so to me, this inside look is fascinating. I was shocked at what appears to be pretty low education outcomes for these communities. I understand that from their perspective they are educated enough to do what is needed in their community and to support the Amish lifestyle but it was shocking to me. I've watched enough reality tv to understand that there isn't always alot of reality but sometimes more scripting in these shows, so a bit skeptical at the moment but I will try to tune in next week.

I saw this show as well - it came after "Long Island Medium" which is my guilty pleasure!

One thing I began to wonder about - I heard several times from different people on the show last night, "this is my only chance..." Or: "This is an opportunity I can't pass up..." It made me wonder if TLC was somehow the catalyst for making them leave as opposed to filming what was going to happen already. I can't quite imagine HOW they would be able to contact those who might be thinking of leaving to offer their help (and so they could film them.) I mean, it isn't like the Amish have tv's and are watching those shows where they have a blurb at the end saying, "If you or someone you know is Amish and planning to run away to New York, please call 1-800-@!#-&%$*."

The logistics of it all make me wonder. I saw them get upset and hide when someone even saw them with a cameraman. So...how did the prodcers know who to film as a likely candidate to leave and how were they put in touch?
    jeaninelaurie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama View Post
    I saw this show as well - it came after "Long Island Medium" which is my guilty pleasure!

One thing I began to wonder about - I heard several times from different people on the show last night, "this is my only chance..." Or: "This is an opportunity I can't pass up..." It made me wonder if TLC was somehow the catalyst for making them leave as opposed to filming what was going to happen already. I can't quite imagine HOW they would be able to contact those who might be thinking of leaving to offer their help (and so they could film them.) I mean, it isn't like the Amish have tv's and are watching those shows where they have a blurb at the end saying, "If you or someone you know is Amish and planning to run away to New York, please call 1-800-@!#-&%$*."

The logistics of it all make me wonder. I saw them get upset and hide when someone even saw them with a cameraman. So...how did the prodcers know who to film as a likely candidate to leave and how were they put in touch?
    I noticed this as well, and definitely assumed that producers somehow were involved and probably organized a living situation in NY. Am I mistaken to envision a "Real Life" type filming/living situation for these people in NY? It would not be too difficult for producers to figure out where in local towns the Amish community shop or trade and to post people there trying to communicate or "lure" potential canditates into going on the show. I don't really know, but I think there are people who leave these communities every year to embrace a different life style, this way just provides an organized opportunity.

Having been raised in a slightly similar situation - very religious and possible shunning of sorts if you denounce it, I truly feel for these people because it causes a lot of pain and heartache for both sides of the fence, it is so hurtful for the one that leaves and for the other family members as well
    ...I can't wait until the first pictures come thru of some other being destroying the Mars Rover

I found watching BA last night to be very depressing. Everyone seemed so down. I doubt that they all LOVE that environment BUT what else do they know and where else can they go???

I think the Bishop's wife is a NOSE BAG. What the heck. Is she the CHURCH/TOWN REPORTER? Everyone living in FEAR of the BISHOP.

Everyone in fear of being 'SHUNNED'.

I feel that the lack of education that these kids have is abusive. Dear Lord at least teach them to READ for crying out loud.

ABE and his family . ugh . very sad. Just sitting around Abe's sister (at dinner) did not even know how to properly hold a fork.

NO PICTURES OF THEM THEIR WHOLE LIFE?
    ness and Imperfect1 like this.
    KAREN

Like Critical and Jilli (WELCOME TO THE FoRT, JILLI!!!!!) Amish in the City was the first thing I thought of when I heard about this show.

I remember hearing that THIS show was going to be different from THAT one in that AITC focused on Amish young people leaving their communities for a time to experience the modern world outside the communities they were born into and grew up in. This was, I think, done to determine whether or not these people wanted to permanently remain members of the Amish community, or not. Apparently, the practice is known as "Rumspringa" (sp?).

I find it interesting that THIS series doesn't seem to center around Rumspringa, just individuals --- for whatever reason --- choosing to leave their communities. Like nana and Minney, I've GOT to wonder how much of a part the TLC PTB coming in and waving their reality wand (and a few Dead Presidents, as well) had to do with these guys and gals taking and being able to take this kind of a plunge. I would bet, a LOT, since I also seem to recall seeing clips of them on a plane going to New York. Sure, you can get low-cost fares, but how many of these folks would actually be able to afford even that, do you think? ESPECIALLY the ladies? No disrespect to the Amish culture at all intended in the question; just a reasonable observation/query on my part.

And another thought that struck me . . .

OK, let's say TPTB at TLC WERE the catalysts for this show. The individuals involved decided to bite the carrot that was being dangled in front of them.

Based on how I processed what I saw, the chances of these folks being allowed back into their communities AFTER booking out of them came across as slim to none. We, as viewers, don't know what the final outcome for each of them is, at this point (if they've even finished taping the show at all, that is). With eighth-grade educations, how in the world are they going to be able to decently make it if they choose to stay in New York, ESPECIALLY? Or pretty much anywhere else in the modern United States, PERHAPS? I KNOW the series is set up to take a look at their initial culture shock, but WHAT ABOUT THE AFTERMATH? I might not be saying what I'm meaning clearly. But, the money TLC paid them is only going to go so far.

Sorry if that came across as ignorant, but I wonder about that.

And another thing that sparked my interest was Abe's family, who chose to appear on camera and voice their observations/opinions about what he was going to do (the mom and brother and sister), yet Jeremiah (I believe) actually ran and hid while being taped by the crew to avoid being spotted by the Bishop's wife. Or the Bishop's daughter (?) whose father refused to appear on camera. Or the young blonde lady whose grandfather refused to appear on camera, as well. Even though, overall, these communities seem to pretty much march to the beat of the same drummer, the subtle differences in each stick out.

momrek

Not only is the Bishop's wife a NOSE BAG, I'd also class her as a female tool that takes her title of "Wife of the Bishop" WAY too seriously and to heart. Instead of worrying about whether or not HER self-righteous ass is gonna wind up as an eternal crispy critter Down Below, she's the self-appointed Avenging Angel of that community.

Please.

Can't say I haven't seen her kind before, though, even thought I'd LIKE to be able to say that. I think at least EVERY neighborhood, apartment complex/building, etc., in the good ole U.S. of A. has at LEAST one. So their community dovetails with most communities in that sense, at least.

Fear of being shunned? My. God. That is a LOT of pressure to have to live with and under. Even if you were born and raised in that setting.

Lack of education? PERFECTLY stated. That's what I was trying to get to.

NO PICTURES? Let me put it this way . . . I've NEVER liked taking pics. Are there at least a handful of me that exist? Sure. I can't imagine being in a situation where being photographed is so frowned upon. Not at ALL.

Fascinating.

Just FASCINATING.
    momrek06 and Imperfect1 like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast