+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Breaking Amish

FORT Newbie

Re: Breaking Amish

I agree that this is way fake. But a couple of thoughts. Not every Amish person has a German accent. In my business I deal with a lot of them, and like other people who learn a second language, some people have accents, and some people don't. So that's not really an indicator. But Sabrina has pierced ears! That would not be tolerated as they don't wear jewelry, not even wedding rings. And the boys surely did not have Amish haircuts at the start. Of course they could pull the "Rumspringa" card and say they were trying things on the outside when they were picked for the show. And the pole dancing! I can't fathom she'd never seen it done before. And there's a difference between someone whose morals are solid, but just doesn't want to live under those rules, and someone who wants to do things like wear provocative clothing and act sleazy. I'll still watch though. It's like waiting for an accident to happen, can't keep your eyes off it.

I caught just a few seconds while channel surfing. I am much older than the people on the show and I do not know how to use chopsticks. This was the first time she had eaten with them and was a pro?
    There's no place like home!

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    I caught just a few seconds while channel surfing. I am much older than the people on the show and I do not know how to use chopsticks. This was the first time she had eaten with them and was a pro?
    I know how you are supposed to use them and I can't! lol!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by missymess View Post
    Not every Amish person has a German accent. In my business I deal with a lot of them, and like other people who learn a second language, some people have accents, and some people don't.
    I will agree with you that not every Amish or Mennonite might necessarily have a heavy German or Pennsylvania/Dutch accent, but each sect has their own inflection in their voices. Try as I might, I don't hear it in any of their voices. They all just sound like they walked in off of any American street. Also, they would not have exposure to the words that these young people are using. You don't just lose 20+ years of strict SHELTERED upbringing and suddenly start using the words and swearing and slang language that these actors are using. It just doesn't happen. I don't buy into it for a second.

It makes me cringe every time a commercial comes on for this show, because I know how fake it is, but other people may not.

Quote Originally Posted by Morningglori View Post
    I will agree with you that not every Amish or Mennonite might necessarily have a heavy German or Pennsylvania/Dutch accent, but each sect has their own inflection in their voices. Try as I might, I don't hear it in any of their voices. They all just sound like they walked in off of any American street. Also, they would not have exposure to the words that these young people are using. You don't just lose 20+ years of strict SHELTERED upbringing and suddenly start using the words and swearing and slang language that these actors are using. It just doesn't happen. I don't buy into it for a second.

It makes me cringe every time a commercial comes on for this show, because I know how fake it is, but other people may not.
    I didn't use the right work when I said accent. It goes beyond just accent. There is a particular dialect that exists even if the accents fades that most people don't get rid of. How words are used or organized. Which words are used falls in there too. To me they sounded just like any other person walking off any other street and I lost interest. If they aren't actually actors the fact that they have been out so long that they not only lost the accent but the dialect as well is unrealistic enough for me to change the channel.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    I didn't use the right work when I said accent. It goes beyond just accent. There is a particular dialect that exists even if the accents fades that most people don't get rid of. How words are used or organized. Which words are used falls in there too. To me they sounded just like any other person walking off any other street and I lost interest. If they aren't actually actors the fact that they have been out so long that they not only lost the accent but the dialect as well is unrealistic enough for me to change the channel.
    To me, I think Abe has an odd accent as well as some of the things Rebecca says. I'm not sure if it is an "Amish" accent, but definitely different than how we speak in San Diego. This show has sucked me in for some reason, despite knowing that it is mostly fake. I really want to know the true history of Abe and Rebecca, as they seem the most Amish to me. Kate and Jeremiah do seem to have more experience in the outside world. Sabrina appears the most normal, but that may be how she was raised. I loved when she talked about watching TV "one time" while being bad. Sure....and that one time just happened to be Jersey Shore? Haha! I doubt her house gets cable

I have read that a former Amish woman state that the clothes worn by a woman in a scene set in Ohio were clothes actually worn by Lancaster PA Amish as different districts have restrictions.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

These characters are a freaky lot. It's uncomfortable to watch. I know, change the channel...............

FORT Newbie

In this latest episode, did they ever explain how Rebecca got the mail about Kate's DUI? I'm not sure if I missed that part, or if it wasn't explained.

Also, I'm curious as to what they will say Rebecca was hiding from Abe? I can't believe they want us to believe that Abe is going to propose after only knowing her a few weeks.

I can't believe I watch this show.....

did anyone watch the show last night, if so what happended because I missed it?

+ Reply to Thread