Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Breaking Amish

FORT Fan

Re: Breaking Amish

Another story on the show being fake:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-TLC-fake.html

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    OMG, yes absolutely, MINNEY, it WAS indeed Jeremiah that was drooling over Sabrina and Kate. Thank you for posting that. Ugh, I was getting ALL of them confused. NESS, just to clarify is was Sabrina (not Rebecca) and Kate.

Ugh, sorry about all the confusion! You all are the bestest ever. I probably should have stopped over here sooner than Thursday.
    THANKS, momrek!

And, just WHAT confusion is it that you're sorry about?!

LOL!!!!!!
    Last edited by ness; 09-21-2012 at 09:10 PM.
    momrek06 likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Even if I didn't know about the articles above and how this show is a big sham, I would have figured it out after having watched the second episode. Those kids DO NOT speak like anyone who's been cloistered off from the rest of society. They got bleeped more than the Real Housewives! Plus, what Amish woman owns purses like Kate and Rebecca?

I don't find any of them to be terribly likeable. They're all talking smack about each other. Kate and Sabrina were the worst, making fun of Sabrina's teeth. What a couple of mean girls. They should be ashamed of themselves. They were behaving like 14-year olds....and not nice ones.
    Truer words were never spoken, Critical.

I had a lot of question marks in my mind from the first episode, but the second would've done it for me, too. The speech? Like you said, the bags?

Please.

And Kate and Sabrina doing a number on Rebecca about her teeth was IT, for me.

What goes around, comes around, though. I think those two need to ask Rebecca's forgiveness and duck, because their day is SURELY on its way!

And when it comes, they're going to need all the help and compassion they can get!

HEIFERS!!!!!!!!!
    momrek06 likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

There was a segment about this show on GMA this morning. Said these people were Amish but did break away several years ago. According to TLC there is a tiny disclaimer that they never said this was their 1st time in NYC.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

FORT Newbie

here is mose's blog were he talks about breaking amish. as usual, he stays high class. that man is all class actually and really has helped people.

Breaking Amish | The Blog of Mose Gingerich
    Shoepie likes this.

I didn't know that Mose was in "Amish in the City." I watched that series and never made the connection.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    There was a segment about this show on GMA this morning. Said these people were Amish but did break away several years ago. According to TLC there is a tiny disclaimer that they never said this was their 1st time in NYC.
    Oh, so NOW --- AFTER TLC and these young people have been outed on the Net --- we're formally hearing that they DIDN'T just get a bug up their rear ends and decide to break away from the strict life they'd been living "all their lives" (my take), "for the first time" (TLC's original promotional wording).

Sure, TLC might not have said this was their first time in NYC. But they're dealing in semantics. I HEARD and SAW the promos for this show before it aired. The way it was worded, and viewing the shots that were provided by the network, a reasonable person --- at first listen to/look at --- the promos might've never thought any of these folks had ever stepped a toenail out of their Amish/Mennonite lives at ALL --- let ALONE whatever state they happened to be living in --- for ANY reason, prior to this show being aired.

Please.

These people are full of it, and TLC is even MORE so.

JMHO.

ETA . . .

Last I read, the network has now even gone so far as to have changed the original wording of "for the first time ever" regarding them ever having lived out of their communities at all on its website to something more bland that DOESN'T say or imply that they've never been out of their communities before. Apparently, what they're saying now states the truth in a roundabout, not-trying-to-stir-up-the-crap-that's-already-started-to-stink way.

Please.

If I can find the article that says that again, I'll post a link to it, 'cause my actual eaxct recall may be a bit off the mark. But I think I pretty much hit the major thrust and idea of what it said correctly.
    Last edited by ness; 09-23-2012 at 02:40 PM.

Glad I didn't watch this show, from what I'm seeing it is a big scam. I know the Amish aren't perfect but this is exploitation.

As for Mose, I like the guy. He seems genuine and classy as was said above.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

You're definitely not missing anything, libgirl. Not only is it a total scam, but the people on it are pretty unlikeable. I don't think I'm going to watch the 3rd episode. Two was enough.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Newbie

Having grown up around Amish and Mennonite my whole life, I can tell you this show is BS!!! I was suspicious during the first show, but after watching PART of the second show, I know for certain now that this is completely fake, fake, fake.

First of all, not one of them have the Pennsylvania/Dutch accent. Not even a hint of a German accent. If they've been isolated on a farm their whole lives, their accent would be quite strong and obvious.

One of my best friends is Mennonite (not the Old Order, but one of the newer sects) and she came over to watch this with me. She just kept saying "We would never say that." "Oh my, we would never say that."

Key phoney words: "Dude" "Chicks" "Skank" "Hot" "Heck" "Totally cool" "Awesome" "I wonder if that's a famous person?" (How would she know anything about who's famous?), "Weird" "You gotta be kidding me" "Check it out" "They'll do anything to get a piece o' ya." "Whoa, not happening." "Frickin" "Pissed me off"

There wouldn't be a need to bleep them. They wouldn't pick up swear words that quickly off the farm.

Other red lights: the dancing, the pretend ignorance on how to use an elevator by the girl who got the DUI. She said in the first show that she'd been to court several times. And she's never been in an elevator before? I call 'bull'.

Newsflash -- Mennonites and Amish do have modern appliances like fridges. They don't have iceboxes any more. Many of them do have light switches. They may not be hooked up to a power grid, but many of them have their own generators, creating electricity, so they have seen light switches before.

Most of them also have indoor tubs and showers. I haven't seen ANY Mennonite home where they have a tub with a hole in the bottom.

This show completely feeds into the stereotype of what Amish and Mennonites are. Shame on them. This is so fake and the actors aren't even good at pretending to be Amish or Mennonite.
    ness and Shoepie like this.

+ Reply to Thread