+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Breaking Amish

Re: Breaking Amish

Thank you so much for this link. I thought something was odd when Sabrina was obviously wearing eye makeup, that she had "secret" magazine subscriptions (reeeeallly?), and that their dialogue was peppered with "she's hot", "freaking" and "skank", for example. I think that TLC owes us all an apology.

FORT Fogey

Thanks for this information! I watched the 2 episodes yesterday and this answers some questions I had! Now I wonder if TLC will take this off the air. Shame on them.

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    The way I took in what I read, the whole show is a con. I THINK, based on how I interpreted what I read in the link, that Abe and Rebecca had hooked up BEFORE the show popped up. Apparently, she was married at the time (maybe she still IS?), hooked up with Abe WITHOUT divorcing her husband, and she and he had a child together who, I guess, is a year, year-and-a-half old at least, right now. Really don't know/remember if they're married, now.

I think the show was filmed AFTER all the above transpired.

And if that was Jeremiah who thought Kate and Rebecca were cute but still panting after NY girls, then I stand corrected in my post to momrek, and I'll eat that one.

But, I could've SWORN ABE was talking to Jeremiah and drooling over both Kate and Rebecca.

And the teeth? The way I interpreted what was in the link, I believe Rebecca had not-so-great teeth PRIOR to the show being filmed/aired. I believe that once TLC hooked up with the five of them, she got new teeth courtesy of the network.

No facts behind that last statement, at all. It's just what I believe might've happened, based on what I read in that link.

If I'm wrong, all corrections are welcomed and appreciated.
    Ness, I'm going to go with your details being correct. Think I had Abe and Jeremiah confused with eachother, oops! Hope TLC cancels it, I know I'm (going to try really really really hard) not going to be watching anymore! I'll openly admit, I am a sucker for a good trainwreck, and might just sneak a peak once in awhile to see how laughable the whole thing becomes. Any preschooler could write better fiction!

Quote Originally Posted by Minney View Post
    Ness, I'm going to go with your details being correct. Think I had Abe and Jeremiah confused with eachother, oops! Hope TLC cancels it, I know I'm (going to try really really really hard) not going to be watching anymore! I'll openly admit, I am a sucker for a good trainwreck, and might just sneak a peak once in awhile to see how laughable the whole thing becomes. Any preschooler could write better fiction!
    LOL!

Ain't THAT the livin' truth?!

Backatcha, Minney!

I have to admit, I've done my share (more, actually!) of rubbernecking in my day. I can't lie and say I DON'T love a good trainwreck, myself. I've not sunk so low as to check out the Boo Boos, but while I might not give this another look-see, I can't sit here and say I won't check out Net info on it. Just to see if TLC owns up to being con artists and yanks the darn thing, at the VERY least.

One of the things I find MOST insulting about this is how stupid TLC has tried to play us all for. I am not Amish or Mennonite, nor have I ever claimed to be. But, how quickly they forgot . . . THERE WAS A FLIPPIN' SHOW ON CALLED "AMISH IN THE CITY" JUST FIVE OR SO YEARS AGO! I guess TLC thought nobody'd ever watched that, or heard of it and read articles and/or reviews on it. Even for a lot of those of us who've never been Amish/Mennonite, we heard about that show, read about it and/or watched it. It offered a door through which those of us who wanted to learn got to see a tip of the Amish iceberg, so to speak. Some of us might've researched the Amish online after seeing every ep of the show.

Why would TLC be so arrogant as to think we learned nothing from that show, and things like the expressions these young people used in THIS show (i.e., "freakin'", "skank", etc.) would not raise red flags with us? Or that we'd not take note of the fact that these young people had money to buy plane tickets out of wherever it is that they were to get to NY? Or that they were put up in a nice hotel for (apparently) several days after they GOT there? Decent hotels may not cost $1,000/per night, but they're not being given away for free, either. ESPECIALLY in New York! They had to be paid for SOMEHOW, and I --- and a few other people --- didn't think these young people had the money to be able to pay for them. And so on.

And, probably even MOST importantly:

WHY WOULD TLC BE SO ARROGANT AND IGNORANT AS TO BELIEVE THAT THERE WEREN'T PEOPLE IN AND OUT OF THE AMISH/MENNONITE COMMUNITIES THAT KNEW THESE KIDS BEFORE THEY EVER POPPED UP ON THIS SHOW? AND THAT THESE PEOPLE WOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM COMING ON THE NET TO OUT THEM AND THE NETWORK AND GIVE THE OTHER SIDE OF THE OBVIOUSLY-TARNISHED COIN THAT TLC IS APPARENTLY NOW TRYING TO PEDDLE AS 18-CARAT GOLD?

Yep, I most likely will keep an eye on how this'll all play out, at least.

Methinks the fallout might be something really juicy that we can sink our reality-lovin' into!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

It was Jeremiah who thought both Sabrina and Kate were cute but still looking at other women in NY, not Abe.

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post

And if that was Jeremiah who thought Kate and Rebecca were cute but still panting after NY girls, then I stand corrected in my post to momrek, and I'll eat that one.

But, I could've SWORN ABE was talking to Jeremiah and drooling over both Kate and Rebecca.

Ness, I'm going to go with your details being correct. Think I had Abe and Jeremiah confused with eachother, oops!

OMG, yes absolutely, MINNEY, it WAS indeed Jeremiah that was drooling over Sabrina and Kate. Thank you for posting that. Ugh, I was getting ALL of them confused. NESS, just to clarify is was Sabrina (not Rebecca) and Kate.

Ugh, sorry about all the confusion! You all are the bestest ever. I probably should have stopped over here sooner than Thursday.
    ness likes this.
    KAREN

A couple of the cast members were on THe Today Show recently with the TLC producers talking about the show. They said that the cast members were preparing to leave their lifestyle anyway and so TLC used that as an opportunity to help them get set up in NY and tape the journey. But, who knows. I have no real faith in anything TLC says. I guess time will tell who of the bunch is real and who were plants.

How in the heck did TLC even know they were leaving their lifestyle? I am buying that story...Not
    ness likes this.
    There's no place like home!

They didn't say how TLC knew about them. There were two girls and they were dressed in their traditional clothes. They asked if this was any indication of whether they were going back to their roots, but the girls didn't answer.

Even if I didn't know about the articles above and how this show is a big sham, I would have figured it out after having watched the second episode. Those kids DO NOT speak like anyone who's been cloistered off from the rest of society. They got bleeped more than the Real Housewives! Plus, what Amish woman owns purses like Kate and Rebecca?

I don't find any of them to be terribly likeable. They're all talking smack about each other. Kate and Sabrina were the worst, making fun of Sabrina's teeth. What a couple of mean girls. They should be ashamed of themselves. They were behaving like 14-year olds....and not nice ones.
    ness likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I only watched the most recent episode - I thought in some scenes they were acting much too naive while in other scenes they were not. It's now off my DVR list as well. I did enjoy Amish in the City but this is not even close.
    Put on your big girl panties and deal with it!!

+ Reply to Thread