+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Breaking Amish

FORT Fogey

Re: Breaking Amish

I almost forgot: I was a little confused about the adoption thing myself. I've had a number of friends who've adopted children, and there's a lot involved in getting the approval to that. I was wondering how the Amish community dealt with having that much invasion of their privacy, so to speak. Unless they adopt through some sort of private agency that arranges for adoptions to take place exclusively within the Amish communities.

I found it fascinating and depressing. One thing I did really like was that they gave us this 'in the community' view of what these kids are dealing with, deciding, facing, leaving, etc rather than just showing them in NYC saying "I just wanted to see what life was". It definitely made me, dare I say, LEARN something on TLC and while I too wondered how they found the participants and what will happen to them, I did like the background and explanations about the lifestyle and the choices.
    Wag more, bark less

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I almost forgot: I was a little confused about the adoption thing myself. I've had a number of friends who've adopted children, and there's a lot involved in getting the approval to that. I was wondering how the Amish community dealt with having that much invasion of their privacy, so to speak. Unless they adopt through some sort of private agency that arranges for adoptions to take place exclusively within the Amish communities.
    There are alot of mixed race children who need homes... if the Amish want to give them love and a home, I have no problem with it. Its nice that someone is stepping up to the plate.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I thought the adopted girl was the Mennonite. If so that is easy to explain. My friend who is Mennonite is also a foster parent. Right now she has 2 children (siblings) that her and husband are trying to adopt.
    There's no place like home!

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    I thought the adopted girl was the Mennonite. If so that is easy to explain. My friend who is Mennonite is also a foster parent. Right now she has 2 children (siblings) that her and husband are trying to adopt.
    One of the Amish boys is adopted as well.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I think that's Jeremiah?
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    yes he is and he said 5 of his siblings were also adopted

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    And another thing that sparked my interest was Abe's family, who chose to appear on camera and voice their observations/opinions about what he was going to do (the mom and brother and sister), yet Jeremiah (I believe) actually ran and hid while being taped by the crew to avoid being spotted by the Bishop's wife. Or the Bishop's daughter (?) whose father refused to appear on camera. Or the young blonde lady whose grandfather refused to appear on camera, as well. Even though, overall, these communities seem to pretty much march to the beat of the same drummer, the subtle differences in each stick out.
    I watched it again and noticed that Abe was the oldest male in that family to appear on camera - perhaps there is no father/elder and he is the patriarch, meaning he told them they had to since it is such a male dominated society? Everyone else seemed lower on the totem pole, if you will, but he appears to be the elder male.
    Wag more, bark less

Interesting episode last night, still trying to figure out if I'm enjoying the show or watching a trainwreck. It seemed to drag on at times, too much wandering around NY in awe of the buildings, cars, people, food, prices... yea? So what! I know they were introducing the characters to eachother and allowing us to get to know them too, but a bit slow, IMO. Next week it looks like they drag out the Amish Communities to try to bring some sense to these young wild things, again, looks a little like a snooze-fest. I did like the previews showing them in regular clothes, modeling, and begining the transition into "regular" society.

Looks like mean girls are mean girls, regardless of the religion or upbringing.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Minney View Post
    Looks like mean girls are mean girls, regardless of the religion or upbringing.
    That's what really makes me sadder than pretty much anything else about their situation. Here's a tiny little group of oppressed young people of who risked everything in their lives to try something new and to seek a better life for themselves, and then they are lucky enough not to have to do it alone, but they have the support of the TLC show and they get to room with several others just like themselves -- but what's the first thing they do? Become judgmental and mean to EACH OTHER!!!! What is wrong with people????? Not just these people, but really, isn't this just a microcosmic reflection of almost ALL of us. What is it about we humans that we always have to be in competition with each other. Why can't we be supportive of ALL peoples???? So frustrating!!!!!

PS Yes, I know there are a few exceptions here and there, thank God! But really, isn't this the truth about most of us?
    nanarama likes this.

+ Reply to Thread