+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Breaking Amish

Re: Breaking Amish

I wasn't aware that the Amish adopted so many kids, that girl that was puerto rican and italian I felt bad for her not knowing anything about her nationality it's not like they have computers too look this stuff up.
    ness and momrek06 like this.

FORT Fogey Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion nanarama's Avatar

ness, you said just what I was thinking. If TLC encouraged the process of these young people leaving - and of course, they have every right to leave - but I worry how they will survive. Coping in the outside world seems daunting to me for people with the lack of background and experience they have. And the thing is, they can't go back. It worries me!

It also worries me when I see reality tv sweeping in and changing peoples lives. Maybe sometimes it's for the better. But, for example, I've often wondered the Gosselins. If the tv thing hadn't happened and they (she?) hadn't started to believe their press and become entitled, would their marriage have continued reasonably happy as in the beginning? Would the family survived? People make it with large families on little money, having a less extravagant lifestyle but lots of love.

From the Loud family of the 70's, reality tv has shown to often be a catalyst for problems. The question is, would those people have been happy without the tv exposure? In the case of the Amish. the stakes seem particularly high if their experiment out in the world doesn't succeed.
    ness and momrek06 like this.

Thanks, nana . . .

I knew what I WANTED to say, but wasn't sure I'd gotten it across correctly.

And yeah, this worries me.

Those of us who've grown up in the modern world all our lives can get knocked sideways and have a time recovering, too. If we can recover at ALL, given whatever specific circumstances occurred.

So how in the world would anyone that had never been consistently exposed to the modern world ---- and have little formal education and religious tenets breathing down their necks, to boot --- be expected to have what would even pass for a reasonable quality of life if it all went wrong for them?

I've got to wonder, along with the money, if TLC offered these guys and gals any counseling.

ESPECIALLY if they want/try to go back, and can't.

To me --- much as I love a laugh, or two --- this ain't no joke.
    Last edited by ness; 09-10-2012 at 03:49 PM.
    momrek06 and nanarama like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I watched the first episode and really, it just made me sad. These kids are leaving their families and will likely never see many of their family members again and, as someone else pointed out, they're going into a world that they aren't nearly equipped - socially, mentally or educationally - to deal with or survive in.

Look at the one girl who was away from the community for, what, a few weeks, and got a DUI. It's like the ultimate rebellion. This is 10 times more restrictive than being a preacher's kid.

Mose, from Amish in the City, has done well for himself outside of the Amish community, but I think he's likely the exception.

I hate to be judgmental, but what kind of parent are you if you would shun your child like that and never speak to them again? I think those kids knew intellectually that they would be shunned, but they still weren't prepared when it actually happened.

I may or may not watch again. Like I said, it just made me sad. I'd like to think TLC took care of these kids and helped them after they finished filming, but the cynic in me thinks TLC just chews people up for profit and then spits them out.
    ness, momrek06 and nanarama like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    . . . the cynic in me thinks TLC just chews people up for profit and then spits them out.
    Ain't THAT the livin' truth?
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    Ain't THAT the livin' truth?
    I've been hearing this same sentiment voiced for many of these reality tv personalities... honey boo boo most recently and it absolutely applies to BA. I find the show intriguing because it allows me insight to the Amish lifestyles and beliefs. While I might not agree with most of it, it's not for me to judge, but to learn. However, once they leave their community, they do become part of our society and as previously stated, are not equiped to survive or thrive once these cameras stop rolling. I wonder if there are support groups for people once they leave a community such as Amish? Personally, I would probably run and jump at this opportunity and not look back, but it's not going to be an easy road.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I watched the first episode and really, it just made me sad. These kids are leaving their families and will likely never see many of their family members again and, as someone else pointed out, they're going into a world that they aren't nearly equipped - socially, mentally or educationally - to deal with or survive in.

Look at the one girl who was away from the community for, what, a few weeks, and got a DUI. It's like the ultimate rebellion. This is 10 times more restrictive than being a preacher's kid.

Mose, from Amish in the City, has done well for himself outside of the Amish community, but I think he's likely the exception.

I hate to be judgmental, but what kind of parent are you if you would shun your child like that and never speak to them again? I think those kids knew intellectually that they would be shunned, but they still weren't prepared when it actually happened.

I may or may not watch again. Like I said, it just made me sad. I'd like to think TLC took care of these kids and helped them after they finished filming, but the cynic in me thinks TLC just chews people up for profit and then spits them out.
    One of the reasons they are shunned is the hopes that the punishment and fear of shunning will be enough to keep these kids from leaving. Baptism into the Amish church is a really big deal and they believe shouldn't be entered into lightly.

Mose has done well and I know he really tries to help these kids out, but as you say they aren't equipped for life in the "modern" world as well as life without their families, their community and the Ordnung (rules their community live by). I am sure there are others who are doing fine but it takes alot of work. And it saddens me when I see some of these kids drinking and partying. Maybe if one leaves to pursue an education and has their head in the right place, regardless of education, they can succeed... but if its for the everlasting party, not so much.

This show bothers me because as you say, I doubt TLC will take care of them... when their value is over and the show is over, TLC is out the door. these kids need a good support group and people like Mose, not TLC!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

My problem with this show is the truth......what happened to the kids being able to go on rumspringa. None of the Amish kids said anything about all ready joining the church. For those that do not about rumspringa here is a brief explanation.....begins around the age of 16 and ends when a youth chooses baptism within the Amish church or instead leaves the community.
    As for the Mennonite girl, none of it makes sense to me. I have several friends that are Mennonite and there is no shunning. Matter of fact they are always inviting others to church, their homes, go places with non-Mennonite. This looked like a good show from the previews but definitely set up for most of it.
    The problem many had during the production was the cameras, that is definitely not allowed for the Amish.
    ness likes this.
    There's no place like home!

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    My problem with this show is the truth......what happened to the kids being able to go on rumspringa. None of the Amish kids said anything about all ready joining the church. For those that do not about rumspringa here is a brief explanation.....begins around the age of 16 and ends when a youth chooses baptism within the Amish church or instead leaves the community.
    As for the Mennonite girl, none of it makes sense to me. I have several friends that are Mennonite and there is no shunning. Matter of fact they are always inviting others to church, their homes, go places with non-Mennonite. This looked like a good show from the previews but definitely set up for most of it.
    The problem many had during the production was the cameras, that is definitely not allowed for the Amish.
    Valid point, that does make me suspect. I know that during rumspringa they can do many things as they are not baptized, most of it is pretty ordinary, going to the movie, maybe some experimentation with drinking and the like... and in some districts some of the behavior might get them in big trouble, it depends how "modern" the group is. Mennonites are much more open and there is no shunning as far as I know, I completely missed that. Methinks things are played up to show stereotypical Amish kids, shunning, DUIs.... it makes for compelling TV. People are curious about the AMish and this just makes it juicier. And too many cameras is a no no, even some of the kids on rumspringa don't exactly warm up to it.
    ness likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Minney View Post
    I've been hearing this same sentiment voiced for many of these reality tv personalities... honey boo boo most recently and it absolutely applies to BA. I find the show intriguing because it allows me insight to the Amish lifestyles and beliefs. While I might not agree with most of it, it's not for me to judge, but to learn. However, once they leave their community, they do become part of our society and as previously stated, are not equiped to survive or thrive once these cameras stop rolling. I wonder if there are support groups for people once they leave a community such as Amish? Personally, I would probably run and jump at this opportunity and not look back, but it's not going to be an easy road.
    I remember seeing a documentary about Amish young people who leave their communities, and there are some support groups for them, run by others who have left their communities. I don't know how many such groups exist or how successful they are at helping people adjust to life outside the Amish lifestyle, but they exist.

I, too, found Breaking Amish sad. I wish they'd show both sides of the story, in terms of people who choose to stay in the Amish community and live reasonably fulfilling lives. There must be some people like that or the Amish communities wouldn't have survived as long as they have. I've had a little bit of experience with the Amish community in Arthur, Illinois, and they've managed to learn to deal with living with their "English" neighbors and vice versa. They've even gone so far as to hold a festival (the Arthur Cheese Festival--there's a big Amish cheese factory in town) that both they, the "English" in the area, and any tourists who care to drop in seem to enjoy. I remember asking an Amish farmer if it would be okay if I took a photograph of his horse and buggy--just the horse and buggy, no people--knowing that they don't like having their own photographs taken. I figured that didn't apply to their horses, but I thought it was better to be polite and ask. He said it would be fine (and, I think, was trying not to laugh--but I'd still rather he thought I was overly polite as opposed to rude). They also used to bring in their produce etc. to farmers' markets in the area. Amish regularly brought contributions to the farmers' market in Urbana, Illinois and the natural foods store in Champaign. Anyway, I just never saw them as being any more universally miserable (or universally happy) than anyone else. I'm sure it's not the life for everyone--I doubt I could live that way myself--but it does seem to suit some of those who are raised as Amish. Wish we'd hear from them too.

I agree the Mennonites really aren't the same as the Amish. Neither are the Hutterites. But all three groups tend to get lumped together.
    libgirl2 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread