+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Breaking Amish

Re: Breaking Amish

I watched it (the first episode of season 2) but then stopped. I don't care about these people. I thought they hated being on television and having everyone asking them questions, but I guess they love whatever pay they get from TLC. I wonder how if their entire family has abandoned them how the young married couple can just leave their baby and go to Florida. Maybe they brought it with them? I don't know; I had to stop watching b/c I cringe at how stupid these people are; they are just not very bright.
    elleprn likes this.

Everything on this show is nothing but a falsefest. Stupid, stupid!!!!!!
    Duckyface likes this.
    I only have a kitchen because it came with the house.

What about Abe's mother had she already left too. She's seems to enjoy the booze. If you notice when they were leaving for florida there was a washer and dryer by the door thought they didn't have electricty.

When we were touring a "typical Amish house" they had a washer, dryer and refrigerator. They explained that those were considered "necessary" and so they had gas engines to run them. They also use cell phones, but don't use them in the house for some reason.

I wasn't surprised to find out how fake this show was, but I was extremely disappointed in TLC.

Actually the Amish are broken into districts and groups, some of which allow gas powered refrigerators etc... while others don't allow any at all. Some allow phone shanties in the barn, some not at all. I have also read that more and more Amish that own businesses are allowed to own cell phones, that they use only work, but not in the home. It depends on who you "belong to". That said, I do think this show is mostly fake.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    Actually the Amish are broken into districts and groups, some of which allow gas powered refrigerators etc... while others don't allow any at all. Some allow phone shanties in the barn, some not at all. I have also read that more and more Amish that own businesses are allowed to own cell phones, that they use only work, but not in the home. It depends on who you "belong to". That said, I do think this show is mostly fake.
    Many years ago, I was in Arthur, Illinois, which has a large Amish community. One of the Amish run businesses was a cheese factory, and yes, they had electricity that they produced with their own gas-powered generators. The way it was explained to us was that in order to meet the health/safety standards they needed to meet to be able to sell their cheese, they had to have the electricity, so they had permission to produce it but only via their own generators. On the other hand, the women in the local quilting shop could get around the need for electricity, because they could use treadle sewing machines and/or sew by hand and their product didn't need to meet the same health/safety standards to be sold. Arthur, by the way, is kind of an interesting small town in that the Amish and the English (non-Amish) have worked out ways over the years to co-exist quite nicely. I knew someone who grew up there, and he said that there were two distinct groups but that they were able to work together well on issues that affected the town as a whole. He also mentioned that they had a lot of visitors from all over who came specifically to have harnesses made, as the Amish in their area did beautiful harnesses that were highly desired by people who showed draft horses. Just one of those niche markets that was a natural for the Amish, since they were still making harnesses for their own daily use as well.

And yes, it also does depend on which sect of the Amish someone belongs to--and yeah, the show does seem very fake. In addition to the trip to Arthur, I lived in Champaign, Illinois for six years, and the Amish frequently brought produce/baked goods into local farmers' markets and all natural food stores. We also have Hutterites and Mennonites in the area in which I now live (not the Amish, but often mistaken for Amish, especially the Hutterites). Breaking Amish doesn't really seem to be much of a representation of what I've seen, though granted, I am no expert.

Oh, and I read an interesting book years ago about a non-Amish woman who worked as a midwife in an Amish area in Pennsylvania. Though the Amish where she lived did not ordinarily use a phone, they would use a public phone at a local store in emergency situations, such as the need to get in touch with a midwife quickly (if it was not an emergency situation, they would sometimes just drive their buggy to her house and pick her up). I would think the use of cell phones might be similar--they have them available if they need to use them for strictly business or emergency purposes as opposed to using them for the myriad of reasons for which the non-Amish use them.
    Last edited by Tilden; 06-11-2013 at 11:21 PM.

Remember when that Amish school house was shot up well they had no way to communicate at that time in an emergency so after that they were allowed to have phones

This show may be fake, however there is something developmentally wrong with all of them save Kate. They are so inappropriate all of the time. Most of them have that gape mouth look. It makes me wonder if there was any inbreeding going on aside from the beastiality...............

That's why I had to stop watching the show. It's sort of uncomfortable; do you laugh or are you laughing at people with actual developmental delays or something? Hearing them try to form sentences or insult one another is sad. Kate is the only one that seems to be able to think rationally and form cohesive thoughts that can be turned into rational words.
    elleprn likes this.

New Breaking Amish with new cast starts July 21st I wonder if this one is for real.

breaking-amish-la-cast-467.jpg

TLC released the first look video for the new spinoff series, which features Betsy, Devon, Iva, Matt and Lizzie. According to She Knows, Betsey is a 21-year-old Amish woman living in Ohio who recently married an Amish man, but she is questioning her place in the community. Devon, 21, from Indiana, and Iva, 19, from Pennsylvania are both Amish and want to explore living life among the so-called "English," or non-Amish.

Matt is a 24-year-old man from Pennsylvania who wants to follow in his brother's footsteps of leaving the Mennonite community, and pursue a career in fashion design. Also from Pennsylvania, Lizzie is a 21-year-old Amish woman who is harboring a secret and wants to start a new life.

+ Reply to Thread