+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Breaking Amish

Re: Breaking Amish

I lasted about 15 minutes and then turned off the reunion special. Aside from Kate, they're all incredibly childish and petulant and just plain unlikeable.
    elleprn likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I wonder if these reunion episodes were not originally planned but are in response to all the discussion about possible misrepresentation. Sort of like the production company or TLC trying to duck responsibility.
    What?! Am I still here?

I just watched part 2 and I can't say I believed much of what they had to say. I'm not one to believe interent gossip, but something just didn't seem truthful in what some of them said. I can respect Rebecca for not wanting her daughter dragged into the mess that this show is, but she seemed to hide behind that when the questions didn't really pertain to her daughter at all. Abe did the same thing. He clearly stated that he and Rebecca were nothing more than friends before the show, but when the host asked if he was the father of Rebecca's child he said he wouldn't talk about that because he didn't want the child involved in the discussion. If he already had said they were just friends and nothing more, then the simple answer to that question was, "No, I already told you we were just friends." Instead he completely evaded the question which makes me think there is definitely something that they weren't telling. That's fine- it's their private life, but they aired their dirty laundry all over television and now they want it all to be private? It just doesn't work that way. I guess they didn't know that with them being Amish and all....

I would hope TLC does not plan a Season 2 of this trainwreck but then again this IS TLC.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Speaking of AMISH

Look at this new series starting in DEC on DC.

'Amish Mafia': Discovery Channel Series to Launch in December - Hollywood Reporter
    KAREN

Well, Part I and Part II . . . I still have the distinct feeling this is the producer's idea of damage control. I'll give them points for asking the direct questions and it's interesting that they have been monitoring forums (like this one?). I also doubt most of what was said. It seems to me that they have somehow (perhaps unwittingly) managed to find four ex-Amish compulsive liars (the exception being Kate) who wouldn't tell the truth about anything even if they knew. They have pretty immature techniques of deflecting questions by launching into blame reversal (Sabrina is a champ at this) and challenging the interviewer to prove it. It's actually fun to watch how Sabrina takes every criticism and says "it's YOU who are fill-in-the-blank". She must have done it dozens of times.

What a trainwreck.
    What?! Am I still here?

I tried a second time to watch part one of the reunion special and didn't make it any further than I did the first time. With the exception of Kate, these are awful people. Rude, uncouth, hateful liars. I hope the four of them fade into obscurity and are never heard from again.
    canadian_angel likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I was one who watched both specials. I think they are Amish/Mennonite young people who have raised Cain in their past. I'm not sure if it's their fault or the producers, but he show portrayed them as being wide-eyed first time ever out of the community people when in reality, they had already experienced much of what we saw.

What got me is their indignation at being judged for their portrayels, their pasts and their choices. It's pretty naive to think you're going on a reality show and people won't judge you. But don't we see that time and time again? Gosselins? Kardashians?

I was one who watched both specials. I think they are Amish/Mennonite young people who have raised Cain in their past. I'm not sure if it's their fault or the producers, but he show portrayed them as being wide-eyed first time ever out of the community people when in reality, they had already experienced much of what we saw.

What got me is their indignation at being judged for their portrayels, their pasts and their choices. It's pretty naive to think you're going on a reality show and people won't judge you. But don't we see that time and time again? Gosselins? Kardashians?

Is anyone watching the second season of this show? So far, I don't find it as enjoyable as the first year when they went through a period of awakening in their new world. There's now an awful lot of anger, cursing, drinking and poor behavior. The finances of these young people is astonishing -- not only do they have money to (I assume) rent an RV to get from NY to Florida, but to park it in the driveway of their new rented home for a period of time. And now, they're about to rent a second residence for other family members. Love the mother; she sure is enjoying her new freedom. Pity the neighbors in the area they chose to live in.

+ Reply to Thread