+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Breaking Amish

Re: Breaking Amish

Well, this is totally disappointing. A little googling (very little googling) and it appears that nobody on this show is who they present themselves to be. Not one of them is fresh out of the community. All of them, with the exception of the model, have been married or are currently married. Jeremiah has been divorced and has a couple of kids. Allegedly he was abusive to his ex-wife. Rebecca and Abe are married and have child (her second marriage). Sabrina has been married and divorced. The model has been away from the community for awhile, being a bartender. And Sabrina has been on a reality show prior to this.

How much of this was known to the producers? I'm thinking ALL of it since I agree with the above posters that that is probably not Abe's mother but an actress. Certainly when the others have their "back home" moments, it must be very apparent to the production crew and producer that these folks haven't been living Amish for a very long time.

I feel completely played. Shame, shame, shame on TLC.
    What?! Am I still here?

Let's pretend for a moment that this show is completely real (I'll pause a minute while you all laugh and roll around on the floor...)

My question is if they have all spent their time in NYC and officially left the Amish, why are all their interviews in their Amish clothes? Did they just have one really, really loooooooong interview before the show aired (as they are all in the same exact clothes during ALL of their interviews) and they just show snippets of them during each show? It would seem when they got to the point of them 'leaving' the Amish they would have them put on some English clothes for the rest of the interviews (even if it was filmed at the same time). It's just weird to watch them cavorting in Atlantic City and being shunned and proclaiming they are leaving the Amish, but then seen being interviewed in their Amish clothes.

And who is naive enough to think that they planned (and paid for!) all this stuff in Atlantic City and a wedding? None of them even have jobs! Where have they even been living the 30 days since leaving NYC and not being able to return home (except Sabrina). I notice how they left that part out too... so incredibly unbelieveable....

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie View Post
    My question is if they have all spent their time in NYC and officially left the Amish, why are all their interviews in their Amish clothes?
    Costumes. Some idiot producer thought that would be effective. Just like he/she probalby thought they could pass this off as real or at least pretend after the fact that they, too, were duped.
    What?! Am I still here?

Quote Originally Posted by wendiness View Post
    Well, this is totally disappointing. A little googling (very little googling) and it appears that nobody on this show is who they present themselves to be. Not one of them is fresh out of the community. All of them, with the exception of the model, have been married or are currently married. Jeremiah has been divorced and has a couple of kids. Allegedly he was abusive to his ex-wife. Rebecca and Abe are married and have child (her second marriage). Sabrina has been married and divorced. The model has been away from the community for awhile, being a bartender. And Sabrina has been on a reality show prior to this.

How much of this was known to the producers? I'm thinking ALL of it since I agree with the above posters that that is probably not Abe's mother but an actress. Certainly when the others have their "back home" moments, it must be very apparent to the production crew and producer that these folks haven't been living Amish for a very long time.

I feel completely played. Shame, shame, shame on TLC.
    There's quite a bit of discussion about this upthread, including links to pictures
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

My husband and I went to a weekend getaway in Pa. At the hotel they had a magazine that highlighted all the touristy Amish things you could go see and the magazine also had an article about this show. The author says that Abe and Rebecca's wedding that will air on the show was completely staged with production putting out a casting call for extras as guests to the wedding and then dressed them all in Amish clothing to make it appear that Amish people came to their wedding.

Honestly, I think Abe and Rebecca were on this show so they could get a nice wedding for free and so that Rebecca could get new teeth for free. The model was probably on this show so she could get exposure as a model/actress.
    Last edited by mina; 11-06-2012 at 01:53 PM.
    gadmus126 likes this.

It's sad how incredibly emotionally immature these people are. The reactions they have to anything related to sex, relationships, or anything to deal with just being an adult are what I'd expect from 14-year olds.

Kate is the only one I find remotely likeable.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I'm sure the "cast" had more incentive than a free wedding or new teeth. They were likely paid a pretty good salary as actors. It's just shameful that any network would promote this as reality, even with the broad definition today.

I wonder how many were actually given "characters" to improvise. I agree that they are all pretty much unlikeable for various reasons - how much is just their personality and how much is encouraged? Not that it matters. Just wondering how far the producers went with this fake reality.
    What?! Am I still here?

I started this thread for BA.

Sorry to say, I am moving on from it.

I think we have all been scammed by TLC.
    Imperfect1 likes this.
    KAREN

Did anyone watch part 1 of the reunion special? I didn't even know there was one until I read about it here: Breaking Amish's Abe, Rebecca Open Up About Her Infant Daughter - UsMagazine.com

I just stated watching OnDemand. If the short video excerpt in that article is any indication, there's a lot of whining about being judged and lots of mature behavior.

What a bunch of babies. I'm SO sick of people going on reality shows and then complaining about how they're portrayed.

I did watch the reunion. Sabrina and Jeremiah both acted like 5 year olds. I seriously think they both have very low IQ's just based on the way they interact with others and communicate. Abe and Rebecca really didn't answer any questions; I guess that's more for part 2 where they get mad at being asked questions about their lives that they themselves put out there on a television show. Kate is the only one that acted semi-normal.

I would have rather seen a reunion show about secret princes; at least they were likable.
    Last edited by mina; 11-16-2012 at 10:31 AM.

+ Reply to Thread