+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 55 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Like Tree611Likes

Thread: Here Comes Honey Boo Boo

Re: Here Comes Honey Boo Boo

Quote Originally Posted by MizDaisy View Post
    Whatever this family's circumstances, there is no excuse for this.

Six-year-old beauty queen performs in Statesboro bar - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

June actually defends this as harmless because it's a "college bar" and therefore in her opinion not sleazy which means it's okay. It's a bar. Alcohol is served. No six year old should be "entertaining" in that setting. We really don't know what type of person June is based on her TV appearances, but what we do know is less than flattering:

- The article upthread about her arrest for theft/child support.
    - She took Alana to a bar to entertain the patrons who gave her money
    - On this week's episode, when asked if it was love at first sight (with Sugar Bear), she said: "It wasn't love at first sight, it was more like BED at first sight." What an example for her daughters.
    - She's lived with Sugar Bear (Alana's father) for 8 years and says she doesn't want to marry him, and that the father(s) of her other 3 children are not involved. Meanwhile her oldest daughter will be a teen mom any day now, and the father of that baby isn't involved either. And the cycle continues.
    - All of the children are on the same path to morbid obesity and related health problems thanks to June's total disregard for teaching them about nutrition. And poverty is no excuse, it's certainly possible to prepare healthy meals and teach good eating habits on a limited budget, people do it every day.
    - Perhaps worst of all is the exploitation of her youngest child. Alana learned her obnoxious behavior and June has done nothing to teach her any better. While Alana's behavior might be entertaining for a TV show, it won't do her any favors in the real world. But for now she's become Momma's Little Moneymaker, and whatever over the top behavior keeps her in front of the camera is fine with June.

Sad, just sad.
    Yikes.Its very sad, you are right
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

MizDaisy . . .

Yours was an excellent, EXCELLENT post.

Based on what I've read in this thread so far, this is BEYOND sad.

If I thought it'd do any good, I'd forward your post to TPTB at TLC.

But, as we all well know, it wouldn't do a lick of good if I did.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    MizDaisy . . .

Yours was an excellent, EXCELLENT post.

Based on what I've read in this thread so far, this is BEYOND sad.

If I thought it'd do any good, I'd forward your post to TPTB at TLC.

But, as we all well know, it wouldn't do a lick of good if I did.
    Totally. I'm sure they got oodles of complaints about the Gosselins and they took their own sweet time canceling that show. Remember when TLC was The Learning Channel? Even A&E (aka Arts & Entertainment) is stooping to air trash.

Sorry, I know some people are enjoying the show, but I'm sick of seeing tasteless, low class crap ....hell, tasteless, low class people on TV. I wish we could go back to when the vast majority of people on TV where on TV because they had talent or something positive to give. Obviously, I love reality TV (or at least some reality TV), but this trend of lowest common denominator, "let's make fun of the ignorant hillbillies while paying them a boatload of money" crap is sickening. It's why people in other countries make fun of Americans. Obviously, this crap gets ratings, which is why the networks are scrambling for new show subjects....and that makes me really sad.

Give me SYTYCD any day....hell, give me Dance Moms any day. At least those little kids have talent.
    karalott likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Sorry, I know some people are enjoying the show, but I'm sick of seeing tasteless, low class crap ....hell, tasteless, low class people on TV. I wish we could go back to when the vast majority of people on TV where on TV because they had talent or something positive to give.
    I'm with you. I miss the Cleavers, the Nelsons, the Partridges, the Bradys. Were parts of those shows a bit corny? Maybe. Is corn healthier than pig poop? YEP!
    mom2, ness, tapper01 and 1 others like this.

I think I am going to give it a look-see.
    MsDiva2007 likes this.
    Sometimes right back where you started from is right where you belong.

When I originally watched I expected to be so highly upset, I was surprised my only issue is the gogo juice! I don't find them to be low class, IMO class has no level. I know some so called high class people with low class tendencies,see any Real Housewives series. Heck check your own neighbors.!!

Yes they have bad eating habits so does half of America this is why we have so many overweight kids. My girlfriends and I remember growing up and making our own slip n slides.so nothing wrong with that. Yes sometimes the kids can be rude, again so are a lot of kids nothing different.

What I did find is these kids love their mom and sugar bear. The family enjoys each other's company and they have fun. the things this family does may not fit the high brow values of others but it works for them and they are happy so why should it bother me?

June has lots of issues but loving her kids and teaching them to be comfortable with who they are is not one or them. June has found a man who is willing to work two jobs 7 days a week for her and her girls. I really was shocked to find that with all of my refined and fine tastes I am able to see that these people are human and do have some traits that are not that unusual.

I just want to send Sugar Bear on a vacation he works way too hard.
    sclilred1 and sparklete like this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

FORT Fogey

the things this family does may not fit the high brow values of others
    Huh?? When did teaching your child not to bend over and fart in front of a camera become a "high-brow value?? Or not taking your 6 year-old daughter to a bar to "holla for a dolla?" Or not teaching your 6 year-old daughter to talk like a street kid because it you think it's funny? If providing a good role model to your kids, teaching them to make healthy eating choices, making sure they get enough physical activity, making sure they get an education so they can become all they can be have become "high-brow values," God help us all.
    Punkin, spockwhat and coltnlasma like this.

Huh?? When did teaching your child not to bend over and fart in front of a camera become a "high-brow value?? Or not taking your 6 year-old daughter to a bar to "holla for a dolla?" Or not teaching your 6 year-old daughter to talk like a street kid because it you think it's funny? If providing a good role model to your kids, teaching them to make healthy eating choices, making sure they get enough physical activity, making sure they get an education so they can become all they can be have become "high-brow values," God help us all.
    The simple facts is all the things you mentioned above may be horrid to you or me but they are who these people are. there are plenty of people who do these things other than the supposedly low class June and family,plenty of people who don't have good eating habits. Everyone doesn't have the same values and I am not going to judge them on theirs as I would not want anyone to judge me on mine. I have no idea on their education or if the 30 mins I see of their eating habits is all there is. I tend to live and let live is all I am saying. Ymmv
    prhoshay and sclilred1 like this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

FORT Fogey

The simple facts is all the things you mentioned above may be horrid to you or me but they are who these people are. there are plenty of people who do these things other than the supposedly low class June and family
    No doubt there are "plenty of other people" who behave like June and her family. The difference is those "other people" haven't put their lives on display in a TV show marketed for "entertainment" to a viewing audience. That makes the content of the show subject to criticism just like any other TV show.

Everyone doesn't have the same values and I am not going to judge them on theirs as I would not want anyone to judge me on mine.
    Judgment is a part of life. It happens, especially when you put yourself on TV and want the audience to watch the way you live. I'm not worried about people judging June and her family. If they don't like being judged, they can always go back to private life. But I suspect, like other reality families, that they're just fine with their newly found notoriety. June says she doesn't care what people say, so I doubt anything said on a message board will be a concern. As other reality show participants have discovered::cough::Gosselins:: cough:: when the notoriety goes away, so does the audience.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Apparantly not pouring the infamous redbull mix down your child's throat is also a "high-brow value."

"Loving" families don't abuse their children for money. Pig poop on the kitchen table is not "low-brow." It's just friggin DISGUSTING.

So they do something right? They do a heck of a LOT of things wrong. And get paid to do it. It's sick and if our society has come to the point of finding child abuse funny or interesting.... well, that worries me most.

+ Reply to Thread