+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 72 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656 ... LastLast
Like Tree924Likes

Thread: Here Comes Honey Boo Boo

Re: Here Comes Honey Boo Boo

I saw the last 15 minutes of the show...all I could think of was another show glorifying teen age pregnancy. To me all of the "teen pregnancy" shows are saying to teen girls, get pregnant and you can be a tv star.
    There's no place like home!

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    I saw the last 15 minutes of the show...all I could think of was another show glorifying teen age pregnancy. To me all of the "teen pregnancy" shows are saying to teen girls, get pregnant and you can be a tv star.
    I agree. While I don't want to go back to the day when one had to hide the pregnancy or "go away" to have the baby, it has been treated way too casually.
    holly71 and mom2 like this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

I watched both episodes and I laughed and laughed. I know it is horrible, but I found it entertaining. I even made my fiance watch it with me and he was cracking up too! I chalk it up to mindless summer TV watching before the dramas start in the Fall.
    sparklete likes this.

I did not see this show glorifying teen pregnancy at all. It was more IMO stereotyping people from the south.
    karalott likes this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I could only watch 10 min and then turned it off.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

OK back from vacation and watched only the FIRST epi and seriously I had no clue whether to laugh or cry.

I found it very sad. Just sad. Cheetos for breakfast and washing hair in the kitchen sink. Redneck games. Besides the fact I had to use the 'captions' as I had no clue what anyone was saying.

Where are they getting the money for all of Honey's pageants?

My DH is a rail design engineer, he was busy when I watched this show . but I had to pause it to show him how close this family lives to the railroad . my LORD, that was scary thinking you are living basically on top of the tracks. YIKES.

No plans to watch anymore. So like many of you, I am moving on from this

BUT I will say, the family all seems very happy and I guess that is all that counts in the end.
    KAREN

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    While I heard not too far back that teen pregnancy was on the decline, I don't believe it had anything to do with shows like this and 16 & Pregnant/Teen Mom. Regardless of what supporters of those shows say in claiming they show how hard it is to be a struggling teen mom, therefore would prevent girls from wanting to get pregnant. Quite the contrary, these girls (and maybe even their stage moms who are looking to make a quick buck) only see the fame and fortune and think they'll become a huge star.

I did not see this show glorifying teen pregnancy at all. It was more IMO stereotyping people from the south.
    This. Which is I why I wonder, are they really for real, or are they playing a role to be southern hillbilly rednecks? Or maybe overplaying their role. Which, if life works for them like this, good for them. They seem to be a happy family and that's all that should matter. But for me personally, no amount of money in the world would make me go on TV and act like this, even if it's how I really was. Honey Boo Boo is a cutie, and seems like a typical kid. But I wonder if somewhere down the road, a lot of families who were part of shows like this will wind up saying how they ruined their lives (there's at least 8 of them in PA that I'm expecting a tell all about ) Some people may play up the stereotypes just because, some may really be that way. Hard to say when there's cameras in your face and likely a script.

I saw less than 2 minutes of this child on T&T before the premier of her show. Apparently it is perfectly fine with a 4 year old child to be taught that it is OK by her parents & TLC that it is perfectly OK to use derogatory names towards her gay uncle. I am sorry but if that type of behaviour is encouraged at that age it will only get worse as she grows older. Her uncle & family may be fine with it but I would wager there might be people who aren't. I am straight but I found that to be horrible.

I turned off T&T ...DONE with TLC!
    I don't find that to be cute, and unfortuantely for Honey, she may not realize that there are plenty of people tuning in and laughing at her expense and calling her and her family names (probably more horrible than I can even think of). And that put themselves out there to do it. Anytime one wonders why there's bullying and hate towards those deemed different or who have non traditional families (and I really hate the whole 'traditional family' phrase anyway-we're in 2012!), look no further than kids learning it at home. Luckily, some kids grow out of it.

Dignity, excellent word to choose. While I like some reality tv... I look at a channel like the History Channel. I remember a time that I didn't have it and wanted it so much! Now I have it and the closest it gets to history is Ancient Aliens. So sad.

As for this show, TLC you sink low. Some reality is fine, but when does it stop?
    My biggest disappointment is when CourtTV became TruTV, and basically began recycling its own shows under different names (It Only Hurts When I Laugh/Clipaholics/World's Dumbest). I'll admit, World's Dumbest is my guilty pleasure, so that can stay. But how many shows do they need about repo possesion (which I don't even believe are for real anyway). The lowest is when they did the show The Wiener's Circle. Really, a show about a hot dog restaurant? What's next, the exciting and thrilling world of a small town needle and thread shop, where the climax is having someone choosing between two different shades of green? I miss when it was actually crime related shows and documentairies. Same with A&E and Game Show Network before it became GSN. I get why every network is going the reality route, but really, can't one stay sacred? I wonder sometimes what E! will do when it doesn't have 18 hours of Kardashians to air.
    Last edited by karalott; 08-14-2012 at 02:28 PM.

I have no problem with this family, they are who they are. The family appears to be close and loving. My problem is the using of the family for entertainment. I am scared though because I understood everything they all said,no subtitles needed lol.
    karalott and sparklete like this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I watched 5 minutes of it this evening. I decided when the pig pooped ON THE DINING ROOM TABLE that this show might offend my delicate sensibilities. No more for me.
    MsDiva2007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    My biggest disappointment is when CourtTV became TruTV, and basically began recycling its own shows under different names (It Only Hurts When I Laugh/Clipaholics/World's Dumbest). I'll admit, World's Dumbest is my guilty pleasure, so that can stay. But how many shows do they need about repo possesion (which I don't even believe are for real anyway). The lowest is when they did the show The Wiener's Circle. Really, a show about a hot dog restaurant? What's next, the exciting and thrilling world of a small town needle and thread shop, where the climax is having someone choosing between two different shades of green? I miss when it was actually crime related shows and documentairies. Same with A&E and Game Show Network before it became GSN. I get why every network is going the reality route, but really, can't one stay sacred? I wonder sometimes what E! will do when it doesn't have 18 hours of Kardashians to air.
    I used to love to watch the old game shows on GSN, so many classics... I spent many an afternoon watching What's My Line?. Now its a bunch of new game shows that are boring and cheaply made. Blech!

Anyone remember when A&E used to show ballet?
    tapper01 likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread