+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 54 FirstFirst ... 313233343536373839404142434445464748495051 ... LastLast
Like Tree599Likes

Thread: Here Comes Honey Boo Boo

FORT Fogey

Re: Here Comes Honey Boo Boo

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    If that is the case, the thousands that tune in to see her- are also contributing
    I don't think so. June and TLC are directly responsible for putting Alana on TV and financially benefit from it. Otherwise, thousands couldn't tune in to see her. But I think some people do feel like they're contributing to Alana's exploitation if they watch so they choose not to, just as there were people who didn't watch the Gosselins for the same reason.

That's why groups like A Minor Consideration, which is run by former child actor Paul Peterson of The Donna Reed Show, are so important. They can function as watch dogs for kids in the entertainment industry that are beyond the resources of CPS.
    I'm a huge fan of Paul Peterson because of his work for this organization. Kids on reality shows are not considered actors and therefore are not protected under the laws that apply to child actors. He's been a vocal advocate for laws protecting kids on reality shows, including testifying in Pennsylvania when legislation was being considered to protect kids on reality shows as a direct result of the Gosselin case.
    Last edited by MizDaisy; 10-18-2012 at 08:07 AM.

FORT Fogey

There's a short statement from Paul Peterson about the Honey Boo Boo situation on the A Minor Consideration website now.

Sort of a tangent, but I love the name of his organization. Emphasizes both what the organization does and why it does it--child actors are minors and they do deserve more consideration then they often get, precisely because they are too often regarded by the adults who profit from their work as merely minor considerations.

I also like that those who are involved with Paul and his work (such as Alison Arngrim, Nellie of LHOTP) who were fortunate enough to have good experiences as child actors don't deny their good fortune but simply argue that not all child actors are so lucky and that they deserve to be.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    Especially those who to find it so horrid. I mean contributing to the horror of it all. Lol there would not be enough prisons to hold all the "abusive parents" who allow their kids to have chocolate, and play to the camera. The horror of it all.smh
    Most parents I know who allow their children to have chocolate and play to a handheld video camera run by a friend or relative also say no and mean it--and their children know they mean it--when they've had enough chocolate and their mugging for the camera increases to the point that it starts bothering other people or making it difficult for them to do what they need to do (as in the case of HBB making multiple interviewers have to struggle to be heard over her, when they were trying to talk to her mother). I don't know any parent who wouldn't tell his/her child that one candy bar at a time was enough or question the need to have his/her child have one in each hand for the sake of a publicity shot.

I know seven year olds can get impatient and wiggle, but I also know a boy exactly that age with ADHD who sits still better than that and is more respectful of adults, because he understands that when his parents tell him enough, it is enough. They don't yell and they don't spank, but he still knows that he has limits and that if he exceeds them, there will be appropriate consequences to be paid. He can get wild sometimes, but he also can be settled down relatively easily, especially for a kid with ADHD, and he speaks nicely to adults--even says please and thank you (and this was when I was babysitting him and his parents weren't around to tell him to do so--and at that point, he was only five) and will engage them in conversations without needing to be the center of attention in the room. HBB seems desperate to be the center of attention, as if she's realized that's the quickest way to get what she currently views as positive feedback from others. I wonder how she'll feel when she's older and understands better that not all those people who were watching her were laughing with her--and that her parents were willing to allow that for the sake of a salary. Or how she's going to feel when people start growing weary of her antics and have a harder time excusing them if they continue once she's older. Already some people are wondering why a seven year old--who would, after all, have been in school for a couple of years now--still seems incapable of sitting still and keeping reasonably quiet for a ten minutes on a talk show. What's going to happen when she's eight or nine or ten? Thirteen? Will she even be considered relevant by the media/TLC a year from now? A month from now? And what happens to her when she realizes she isn't? That she's a has-been at nine?

HBB isn't just a kid whose parents who have given her chocolate who acts up now and then. She stopped being that when her parents decided to turn her into an enterprise that helps support the family.

And yeah, if people are concerned about her or displeased by the show, they shouldn't watch it (though, ratings wise, it only matters if they're Nielsen viewers), which is why I don't. But it's difficult not to see what's going on with the family and HBB herself, because they're everywhere now. Kind of like when Paris Hilton was the flavor of the moment. Even if you weren't trying to watch her--there she'd be. Same way with the Gosselins. I never watched their show, never was even interested in watching the show, but I still ended up seeing a number of clips of the show everywhere from the news to The Soup.
    Hyper likes this.

Congrats to all the perfect parents with all the perfect kids. I wonder where all these perfect people are when I come across all the non redneck bad children in the grocery store,mall,airplane etc. I frankly would be scared to come across all this quiet and well mannered kids. These are the ones you see on the news with neighbors saying " he was always so quiet" who knew he was a serial killer.lol
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

FORT Fogey

Congrats to all the perfect parents with all the perfect kids. I wonder where all these perfect people are when I come across all the non redneck bad children in the grocery store,mall,airplane etc. I frankly would be scared to come across all this quiet and well mannered kids. These are the ones you see on the news with neighbors saying " he was always so quiet" who knew he was a serial killer.lol

I have not seen one post from anyone concerned about HBB behavior that has suggested all children are perfect or that all the children they know or have are perfect. But not all children are as out of control as HBB either, and not all parents seem as ineffectual about stopping inappropriate behavior as June has been in the multiple interview clips we've all seen lately. My point was not that children are perfect but that it's possible to get a child HBB's age, even one with ADHD, to behave appropriately and that when such a child misbehaves, as all children do, it's possible to discipline the child without being cruel or excessive. At seven, kids have to sit still and be reasonably quiet in a number of situations--school, religious services etc.--for longer than fifteen minutes, and most kids do a decent job of that, most of the time. Certainly it's something they need to learn to do consistently, because out of control behavior generally isn't appreciated or thought to be cute for very long, and HBB is reaching the age limit at which it can still be overlooked as cute or a result of her being too young not to know better, if she hasn't exceeded that age limit already. I don't think anyone's doing her any favors by brushing it off as age-appropriate behavior or that other children behave just as badly, because it's equally true that other children don't.

I don't like being around brats regardless of their socio-economic backgrounds. Rich kids can behave just as inappropriately as poor ones. It's not about how much money anyone has--it's about whether they set reasonable limits for their kids' behavior; are consistent in applying those limits, so that the children understand what is and isn't going to be tolerated; and set appropriate penalties for exceeding those limits and stick to them. Do I see kids misbehaving in stores? Sure. That's why I'm so appreciative of parents who, when their kids misbehave in public, let them know enough's enough and what will happen if they don't behave and then stick to that if the children try to push their limits. And I'm quick to compliment parents whose kids are behaving well--saying excuse me, asking to pet my dog rather than just grabbing at him, holding a door open for me if my arms are full etc. I'd rather do that than make excuses for poor behavior being typical, because it might help kids and parents who are doing well see that others recognize that they are and appreciate their efforts.

And I do worry about the kids with no limits and no standards of behavior, because I would imagine it's much harder for them, and the society in which they live, in the long run, particularly if they are also kids whose lives have been thrown out there for all the world to see before they were old enough to decide if that's what they really wanted for themselves. I even worry somewhat about June, who appears to be in way over her head with this HBB phenomenon. I see that with some of the parents on Tand T too, who have the funds to spend thousands of dollars on a single pageant and clearly live in upper middle class homes, so again, it's not HBB being a "redneck" that's the problem. It's the fact that her behavior seems to be increasingly out of control in public and that that's not really good for her or pleasant for those around her. In fact, it might even be a sign that she's stressing out over the sudden changes in her life since she became a reality "star," which would mean she needs help even beyond learning appropriate, reasonable limits for a child her age.
    MizDaisy likes this.

Isn't that the truth -when they say, he was always so quiet , or he/she was so good with children. And here they have a basement that's for torture or something. I would rather have a fun neighbour than a deadly quiet one

We flew first class last year and a well dressed woman got on with two children, very well dressed, but they disrupted everyone's sleep. I dont know how they were bought up, but the way they were acting, not well.Or, by one of those perfect nannies
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Isn't that the truth -when they say, he was always so quiet , or he/she was so good with children. And here they have a basement that's for torture or something.
    I would rather have a fun neighbour than a deadly quiet one
    We flew first class last year and a well dressed woman got on with two children, very well dressed, but they disrupted everyone's sleep. I dont know how they were bought up, but the way they were acting, not well.Or, by one of those perfect nannies
    I don't see the point of comparing extremes to justify Alana's behavior. No one is advocating parenting that produces serial killers, or parenting that produces angels (if there is such a thing ). I think most parents use common sense most of the time and end up with a pretty good outcome in raising kids who can function well in the real world. And your experience in first class proves that irresponsible parenting is not limited to rednecks.

I wasn't really justifying her behavior , as I dont watch the show . I guess in my life, I go by my experiences- that's all.
    Shoepie likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

I wasn't really justifying her behavior , as I dont watch the show . I guess in my life, I go by my experiences- that's all.
    Okay, but I think the same is true for those who are being congratulated on achieving perfection -- we're just going by our own life experiences, and I suspect none of us have been accused of being perfect in anything!
    Last edited by MizDaisy; 10-18-2012 at 11:37 AM.

Never too old to Twinkle! AZChristian's Avatar

I was once in a parking lot with my daughter (she was 8 at the time). My hands were full, so I wasn't holding her hand. She had gotten about 8 feet ahead of me while trying to catch up with her older brother. She wasn't paying attention to her environment, and did not see a car that had sped around the corner and was traveling way too fast between the rows of parked cars. Seeing that my daughter was unaware of the danger, and she was too far out from the parked cars and the car was headed right toward her, I yelled, "Donna - STOP!" She was accustomed to obeying me when I told her to do something. She did not hesitate. She did not turn to argue with me. She did not start singing. She STOPPED. Because she recognized that when I said something to her, she needed to pay attention and - if told what to do - she needed to do what I said.

An extreme example? Yes. But it IS important (for their own well-being) for children to learn that the adults in their lives need to be listened to, respected, and heeded. It's obvious from the KTLA video that HBB knows there will be no repercussions for her behavior. Therefore, she ignores her mother when she's told to sit still and be quiet. If something doesn't change, this does NOT bode well for her ability to respect other authority figures in her life (teachers, bosses, etc.).
    MizDaisy and NEPASue like this.

+ Reply to Thread